Halloween 2008

ads086

2008 Halloween Event  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Going?

• Absolutely! Can't Wait
    • See What I'm Doing
    • Like I'd Even Bother

I was at work today and we were thinking about things we could do socially outside of work, and I remembered that Halloween was coming up soon. We went to Movieworld's Halloween event last year, got dressed up and had a really great time. So, we're keen to go again, but we don't have any info on pricing or the dates it will actually be held and such. If anyone on the boards has heard anything, can you please post it up? Thanks guys

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait. I get heaps of tickets from cadbury cause they sponsor it so i take heaps of friends, its the best night and i reckon mainstreet will be great this year. I hope they have more than 1 haunted maze this year and WWF open and not the number of break downs at the start of the night like last year, still can't wait.

Cadboy is right. Wild West Falls will be open this year along with all other major attractions, they made the fatal mistake last year of not opening it which lead to longer ques at other rides and one less attraction which a lot of halloweener's realised and weren't to happy about. Maintenance was originally scheduled over the event but later changed at one of the recent halloween event meeting's. What iv been told this year is going to be a doozy and the roof will look very good with the plan's so far discussed. Oh and so far the event will be held over 3 nights like last year.

Well they have done up a concept design for the night which has the roof displayed in it. Very much like the one they did up for the roof when the idea came into play. Used the last two years down main street sitting out side some of the windows they use what is called a nemo pod light which projected the ghost patterns on the ground. This lights have over 32 different colours, thousands of patterns and design's and cando different effects like strobe and other stuff. They can roll 180 degrees back and fourth and turn 360 degrees. These lights you would have seen before on shows like Australian Idol, Big Brother, So you think you can dance and they are used in stage shows and that. From what iv been told these lights will project amazing arayes of colour and patterns on the roof creating a truly spectacular night scape. My thought's on the matter will be that it will look very much like the large LED roof in Las Vegas. And next year there is to be a new maze. It is going to be located were the old Blazing Saddlers area was. It will start near boot hill and the scooby exit. Then head down towards the entrance to the stage show arena, were Shrek, Looney tunes and the Mavrick show have been in previous years then turn left towards the Wild West toilets on the other side of Boot Hill. Below is a picture of the area its not very good i cropped it from a park map i found on the net. The new maze was planned fo 2008 but after a lack of time and planning it hasnt gonna ahead but im shore will be a big public pleaser next year.

post-2323-1220690022_thumb.png

Hey djrappa, Will the roof use all of those 32 colours? Perhaps you can stretch it to 34?! Which lights are the ones that will do thousands of patterns? Can I get them in Sydney too? Will the lighting be as good as Big Brother??! Oh and for everyone else, it will look nothing like the LED roof in Vegas - mainly because it's not a huge video screen and therefore nothing like Las Vegas.

Hahaha when I read it the first time I had to double take, Thinking back I recall a very colourfull roof used every like two minutes to portray a video which had the different effects on it or music videos or fireworks and such.. not a panel of LEDs like say... a giant piece of "paper" used at a certain Olympics opening ceremony? Has been a while since I've been to Nevada, so correct me, but don't insult me.

hinking back I recall a very colourfull roof used every like two minutes to portray a video which had the different effects on it or music videos or fireworks and such.. not a panel of LEDs like say... a giant piece of "paper" used at a certain Olympics opening ceremony?
The Fremont Street Experience as it stands now is made up of LED bulbs that are matrixed together as opposed to standard pieces of video wall that you see at sports stadiums etc. Up until somewhere round 2003 or 2004 the display was all incandescent white globes - so no colours but still a pretty dramatic effect. The Beijing 'scroll' was made up of LED tiles like a conventional video screen - much higher resolution than Fremont, and I dare say slightly more resilient to people walking all over it :P
is there anything stopping them from buying a ton of off the shelf video projectors,
... In a word, no, but the logistics of doing such an installation would be enormous, not to mention the processing power needed to blend an image or video sequence down the length of the street. With the curved nature of the roof, non-uniform and non-regular projection positions it'd be a bit of a nightmare to setup, maintain and incredibly expensive to develop the content for it. A lighting rig is always going to be more effective, especially when you conside moving lights can swing down from the roof and light stuff on the street level... and as someone who has lit an event at night at Movie World before I can say it'd be awesome to have an arsenal of permanently installed gear as the effort needed to run power and rigging for temporary gear in the time between the park closing and the event starting really makes any elaborate setups impossible.... My 2 cents anyway... And the previous post will be understood by lighting guys I guess... but nowadays lights can pretty much spit out any colour, and I'm yet to use a lighting fixture that can do thousands of patterns. 24 maybe, thousands, no not yet.
anyone else noticed the disproportionate number of 'lighting guys' that happen to be into theme parks.
Yep, and we even had a brief thread about it on the ALIA (Australasian Lighting Industry Association) forum - www.alia.com.au - a while back. We've had a few theme park junkets that just 'happen' to tie in with lighting tradeshows, in fact Clint and I are off on one in a month's time! And then there was the TPR UK trip in 2006 where out of 30 people, 3 of us were lighting designers!

nemo pod light which projected the ghost patterns on the ground. This lights have over 32 different colours, thousands of patterns and design's and cando different effects like strobe and other stuff. They can roll 180 degrees back and fourth and turn 360 degree
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? What is a Nemo Pod light and when did it come to exist because we can tell you now that that there is no such thing! Oh my goodness, what kind of cheap Acme brand crack are they handing around at Movie World these days!! There maybe cool effects for the roof, there may not. You can put anything you want in a concept artwork but the reality involves many more hundreds of thousands of dollars to make it happen. We can only hope we do make it happen and do so in time for the event. ...still sitting here thinking wtf over a nemo pod light!

Is there ever going to be a point were i dont get my head bitten of for something i say. And Nev there really is no need to be so rude about my post's if you have a issue with them send me PM instead of over and over again making a complete D@#k of me. If you dont want to hear what i have to say dont read my post's. To Clear things up thousands of patterns was a over exageration if you didnt get im shore someone with half a brain could realise that at this present time its a bit un-ethical dont you think. Nemo pod is a moving head system light. It is pretty much like a martianMAC550. If you know what they are there is a whole series of them with different models each model obviously is slightly better.

There is NO such thing as a Nemo Pod. And the brand is Martin, not martian. If you can show me a link to a Nemo light I'll believe you. I know EVERY brand and model of professional moving light in this country, and that's no exaggeration, so I think I know what I'm saying. I'm not making a dick of you, you're doing that yourself. You're trying to state things as fact again that just aren't true... and there are more than enough lighting people on this board to catch you out. You won't get your head bitten off if you don't lie or make up ridiculous stuff. You can't admit to embellishing facts and then ask why people shoot you down can you?!

And you were being rude and making a complete dick of me by the way you said all that tuff in the post. Oh and excuse my spelling mistake you know what i ment. Nemo pod was a example i used of the lights they use obviously from what you said i must be wrong there is no such brand i must be mistaken but im shore i have heard something like that before. Your correction was called for seeing you probably know more than me about professional lighting but there was really no need to be as rude as you were.

He wasn't rude, he was taking the piss, and I and I'm sure many others thought it was very funny, almost as funny as the ridiculous stuff you were posting. So if you're saying that the 'Nemo Pod' is like a Mac550, does that mean it's a complete failure of a product that is semi reliable and has terrible light output? What I think is annoying is when people like you post FACT that is completely made up, you don't know, so why pretend that you do. Maybe it's things like that that have HR hunting you down... ELS supply the lighting for events like halloween, they own no such fixture as a Nemo Pod Light. Don't say you were mistaken, because you went so far as to give detailed specs on the light you made up. Now that's you've been shot down by people more knowledgeable that you, please don't go complaining about it.

To Clear things up thousands of patterns was a over exageration if you didnt get im shore someone with half a brain could realise that at this present time its a bit un-ethical dont you think.
Yeah, I'd agree that a light capable of producing thousands of patterns would be damaging to the moral standards of the community. Re the Nemo light, is it something like this? post-88-1220778846_thumb.jpg

I wasn't pointing out that the nemo pod was exactly what they use. I used it as a demonstration. And as i knew there was a light called the nemo pod that was simliar to the Mac550. But as pointed out i was wrong i'd obviously heard wrong. And the specs i gave on the light are so very similar to most moving head light's. I dont know if maybe i need to work on the way i say things but it seems be over and over again those who have probably nothing better to do attack every single detail of something that is said. Nev clearly corrected the situation ages ago and then you carry on these forums arn't for arguments or were people like you that think your all good because you can pick at every little thing to carry something on that probably could have been over ages ago if you didnt add your 2 cents worth in which really isn't need. One person is enough and Nev all ready did it. Get over it, it's done And dont go and threaten me with watch what you say HR are hunnting you down. I clearly know what i can say and cant say, i can read a contract.

Yeah, I'd agree that a light capable of producing thousands of patterns would be damaging to the moral standards of the community.
Not just lights that can produce thousands of patterns insult me, but simple lights in my room insult me. When will the hate end? And guys he didn't just mean Nemo lights, there also going to scare us with other much loved Disney Characters like Pooh and Mickey. In fact, screw copyright law. EDIT- I may look like the evil guy that kept this going but note the time stamps. I was only one minute behind Klassen Edited by DonjaiInLA

I'm sorry Klassen but screw you! After hearing things from a few people I thought I would be nice and suggest that perhaps you re-think some of the things you post, because regardless of anything clearly you have a love for your job and that is not something I would like to see taken away from anyone. But if you're going to be all arrogant about knowing how to read a contract then fine, post what you like, see if I care if you get in hot water.