Halloween 2008

ads086

2008 Halloween Event  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Going?

• Absolutely! Can't Wait
    • See What I'm Doing
    • Like I'd Even Bother

Just another side observation, but anyone else noticed the disproportionate number of 'lighting guys' that happen to be into theme parks.
Well - that I know of - there's Clint and Nev, Myself, Flea (although i'm not sure if flea has kept going with these things in recent years - I do however remember a post from a certain someone how they used to smoke their house out with a fogger, and go crazy with disco lights). I'm not sure what other lighting guys we have on the boards... so technically its not that big a concentration, but i'd be interested to know any others out there...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I worked in theatres for a few years doing Lighting Design/Operation, Stage Managing and FOH management. In total about 5 years of solid lighting, although im sure thats not a lot compared to some around here. I was also the only decent technician at my high school by the time I finished. I dont have much time for it anymore though, Its dissapointing.

I to used to be a decent one at my school. Everyone else had no idea what they were doing, they didn't even know how to use light jockey!!! Even though they had been taught numerous times, it was quite funny to watch them run events by themselves. I will be going, don't think i'll dress up this year, just don't feel like it. Also if its on the same dates as last year, the last night will be a Saturday, which is the only night I can go, alsoit will probably be the busiest, being Saturday. Although Chris brown and Rihanna are on the 31st and A LOT of people are going at least that I know of!!!

• 2 weeks later...

They're offering Passholders tickets for $36...Is it worth it for that price? I'm sort of torn, I have never been to one of these events before, and I am interested in seeing the two mazes, but I have sort of already paid for an annual pass. Someone make up my mind for me.

Edited by Gazza

According to the email I just got, it's 10% for MyFun members. (So the regular price is $40) I don't have a pass but it's kind of sad that they won't give you some kind of discount. I definitely regret not going last year and the year before that. The price was what? $15-$20? Also I know it's Halloween and all but are you supposed to go with the theme in mind? Or is plain/casual the norm?

$40 or $99 for 4 is the Regular Price And at those prices unless you get 4 people together I think the price is a rip off. However... There is a 10% off for myfun members (which is just the free registration on their website) making the prices $36 each or $89 for 4. That price for 4 is the sweet point at just over 22 per person. $36 is still to much in my opinion. I notice these prices bring them in line with what Dreamworld recently charged for screamworld. But there no reason anyone shouldn't get at least the 10% off.

It is defiently worth it and it sound's like there is more this year with the two mazes like Gazza said, a roof which will be decorated and Wild West Falls running, so this might be the reason, with more going on, they might need to charge extra, also how long is it going for this year??? I can't wait to go to it, also they know everyone goes to this event and have no problem attrcating guests and therefore realised they can't start charging extra and make more money and still have people go. But yeah I would defiantly reccommend going. Lucky me, I get heaps of free tickets for me and my friends. Gotta love being friends with Cadbury!!!

Edited by Original

Well my opinion would have to be i recon it will be a really good event. And i wonder if the second new maze this year is the one id spoken about a week ago from what id heard a lack of planning and time restraintes was going to stop it from going ahead. But thats movieworld for you they will always try there best to get what they want for the event and they must have done a good job, well done.

it sound's like there is more this year with the two mazes like Gazza said, a roof which will be decorated and Wild West Falls running, so this might be the reason, with more going on, they might need to charge extra
Hang on, you're saying that the fact that there's a roof that'll be decorated makes this event worth the asking price? $40 for a three hour event is ridiculous. There's no two ways about that. Most US parks include the event with admission (which for most is already significantly less than a day at our parks) and use it as a way to boost attendance during the slow end of the season. Meanwhile they're charging $69 for a day ticket plus $40 for Halloween and people here are saying it's good value? Well... I suppose they've got a roof, a couple of mazes and as a bonus they've even been good enough to open all the rides this year?

Yeah, I just double checked, and last year it was $20 ($25 at the gate)..so a doubling in price to $40 since last year....What a joke....I don't think I can really justify spending $40 on some street entertainment and a couple of walkthroughs. As people have said, they probably have increased the price because they sold out last year, but I'd probably attribute the sell outs to the low price ($20 was pretty good value, less than a third of a one day ticket) and not necesarrily because people were desperate for a Halloween event. Again, WVTP really need to look at their annual pass offerings....If you are paying hundreds (especially for the multi parks ones) there should be a few more sweeteners, such as access to events. The way it stands now it seems most offers are directed at MyFun subscribers.

I need to change my vote - once I saw the prices I changed my mind. I was going because its a good chance to dress up in crazy costumes, and spend some time on a few rides. After last year, some friends had a few hesitations at going again. When I saw the price in my myfun email, I was inclined to agree with them. So I think instead we'll just dress up in crazy costumes and go out on the town - that works out cheaper than fuel to the Gold Coast, plus $36 entry plus dinner at McDonalds across the road, not to mention the time factor for those who have to work. $40 a single ticket to a 3hr event is ridiculous. I was looking at Cedar Point's website just the other day, and they go all out on Halloween for almost a whole month, closing sections of the park, building new areas, bridges, hiring actors to jump out from behind rocks and signs all over the park - and this gets included in a regular days entry if you go on a weekend day during Halloweekends. With their new roof, perhaps they should put big drapes to block out all the light on, and make it Halloween all day long. And seriously, what sort of an extra draw card is a maze?? You either figure it out pretty quickly, or you get insanely frustrated, either one not coming out as fun...

• 3 weeks later...

What about the option for buying family tickets? $99 -10% through my fun for a family of 4. It states that a family of 4 can be any combination of adults, children or pensioners, works out to be less than $25 each. Cant some of you get together and share the tickets? We are going because it still looks like a bit of fun out. Im just piecing together my costume this year, currently working on the hair and finishing off the template for the coat. I hope I can pull it off because it should be a pretty awesome sight in person. If i get everything done in time I might snap off some shots for here. No hints as to what ill be going as, you'll have to wait till closer to the event :)

Edited by Mad Hatter

MyFun Members SAVE 10%! Pay only $89.10 for a family of four (any combination of adults, children aged 3 – 13 yrs incl. or pensioners). Or $36.00 for adults, $22.50 for children (3 – 13 yrs incl.) and pensioners.
From the MyFun email, Definitely go for the group of four deal it = $22.30 each approx. Hey dexter> http://www.parkz.com.au/about/FAQ/Communit...idelines.html#5

Haha! That's funny. Anyways... I now have my Halloween tickets. Yeah I know it's overpriced but hey, I enjoyed it last year and I'm sure it will be just as, if not more, fun this year. New maze! I just hope it's not a lame attempt at one. I won't be happy of that's the case. Alex - any photography tips for the event? All I know is not to use a flash. And then there's the basic shutter speeds, aperture, etc. Any special tips from a 'pro'?

Regarding the mazes this year they are going to be set up two days before the event and final touches will be done on the day aka Wed29Th I'm helping out with maze setup on Wed then going to the event that night and i asked for permission to take photo's during setup and I'm aloud to so ill post them on the site for those interested. Halloween decorations are up in main street. With spiderwebs hanging from the roof supports with spiders in them when it gets dark it looks really good with the web everywhere. Plus there are Halloween decorations in the shop fronts. I seen the Halloween shirts for this year today. They have the joker on it and it has the Halloween family fun night logo on it also. Talking to friend in entertainment today who is a supervisor he said that there will be more characters out this year giving the night a more haunted feel.