P23 - XBOX 360 - PC

BNErider

Wii? My advice would be to just look at what games are on each console that you are interested in, and buy the one that has them. I can't see any other factors/features between them really making much of a difference, apart from the Blu-Ray player on the PS3. But yeah, games should be the deciding factor.

Depends... Are you going to be playing with friends or what? As far as parties go, Wii takes the cake. :P (As a 'proud' Wii owner, I can't really go against it) Smash Bros. Brawl makes it worth a purchase alone. The Wii also has been hacked to pieces so if you're into that sort of stuff go for it. I'd definitely go 360 over a PS3, I can't think of an exclusive title that I'm interested in. I would assume Live Gold is a must, but I don't own one so I can't say much. There's actually a price drop coming up if it hasn't happened already and there's a new 60gb console to replace the 20gb. (Same price) PC gaming (for me) is about either racing or FPS. Games are almost always dirt cheap, but getting your rig running nicely can cost a bit. I'm currently in love with the flexibility of PC's as far as getting updates (free) that add features the game doesn't ship with. (Although newer 360 and PS3? games can do this too, with some limitations) Really though, like Gazza said, just find whatever has the games you enjoy (most).

Stupid Question to ask on a forum. Do you expect an actual answer? Its like asking a room full of geeks if a Mac or a PC is better. Or (in the states) if a Zune is better than an iPod. Unless you own both, I say don't even voice your opinion guys. and I own both (and a Wii) and I recommend a PS3. Key reason, in three years when they start Phasing out DVDs for Blueray, you wont have to fork out for an additional Blueray player. But hey you can put the XBOX 360 with HD-DVD above your Betamax player ;)

If your wanting online playing, PC, but in saying that to be the better playing you must have deep pockets. The 360 and PS3 are very much similar, only REAL difference is controllers and O/S, however the 360's have a higher failure rate that then PS3. Really the amount of pro's and con's of either the consoles pretty much evens out. Then as someone mentioned above, if your after a console for social reasons, go the Wii. It's fun, inexpensive and great for groups of people. I have owned a 360, Wii or PS3 at least once and for me the PS3 came out on top, but ultimately I use a PC. Only thing I find with my computer now is the more games being released the more you need to upgrade your computer. I have upgraded mine now at least 3 times and it now has a total value of roughly 2k. The decision is really yours, try not to ask on forums but due to fan boy.

I see another one of Ash's "which camera is better" threads coming. This thread will end after everyone has voiced their opinions, and then Ash will buy something not necessarily recommended by those whom he asked the opinion of, and 6 months later the discussion will start up again when he decides what he bought isn't what he wanted, and he'll go for choice number 2.

Hmm... ok, bring that up if you must, but I only got the D40 because I was told to buy it from mannnny people outside this forum. Must you always bring that up? You must understand that opinions stated in this forum are not the definitive answer. I think I'm aloud advice from other places too before buying an item, Aye?

Well, I could bring up the D40, or I could talk about the Sony Video camera you wanted to buy, or we could talk about the "P23" you are considering now. One person did make the point - and that is why don't you ask the questions on the forums that are experienced in the topic you require. If you are considering buying a set of LSM's, OTSR's, or the seemingly endless supply of hydraulic launched packaged coasters from intamin, ask away. Wanna talk game consoles? i'm sure google could deliver a wealth of expertise. Don't like the responses you get from those that tried to help you, AND turned out to be right - either take their advice, or stop asking.

I am still happy with my D40 thank you very much. Yes I might upgrade but that doesn't mean I got the wrong thing in the first place. I am happy with all info given but you must understand that I cannot base a major purchase like a camera (or gaming system) on one forum. That's just silly! Alex, you need to get over things or you will have a very short and unhappy life. I think you are mostly pissed because you supplied a half-page summary of what's best (in your opinion) and I didn't listen to you. Question - is anyone else pissed about this or just Alex?

Dunno, It's not so much the number of opinions you get, but rather the quality...Were the other people you asked professional photographers, also with experience working in a camera store? What did they have to say about whatever AlexB's suggestion was (Eg did they warn you against it?) Had they used both?

I think you are mostly pissed because you supplied a half-page summary of what's best (in your opinion) and I didn't listen to you.
Thing is though, if someone is going to go into detail there is a good chance they know their stuff. Why make the effort to give a thorough opinion? Besides, if you cant base your decision on one forum then what is the point of the thread? Just my two cents. But yeah, going back to my original advice, just look at what games you want, and buy the platform that supports them, since the actual thing you play them on doesn't really matter. Edited by Gazza

Yeah, I went to countless camera stores before I made the purchase. As per the point of the point in the thread - I think it's good to hear people's personal feedback if they've had the product. More like what's happening in this thread. Anyways, back on topic -- I asked around and apparently PS2 are bringing out some new games next year just for their platform. Does anyone know if they'll be a good range of FPS'ers coming out?

A few pros and cons for the 360: Pros: Are now somewhat cheap (Cheaper than a Wii for base model) Excellent online service (you may have to pay for it but the yearly cost is worth it) "Classic" games are now around $30 and are decent titles with most older but great games around $40 at places like Big W/JB when on special Easily connects to your computer for playback of music, videos, photos and with media center can stream HDTV from a PC with Media Center and HDTV tuner Failure rate is much lower in the latest batch, and they run much quieter and cooler Backwards compatibility with XBOX Original games (can even be purchased and downloaded via XBOX Live Marketplace) Cons: No Blu-ray playback Earlier/launch consoles had a high failure rate (mine is a AU launch console and only been repaired once almost 2 years ago now), so only buy new Online service has a subscription fee Games cannot be as easily imported due to region coding I own a Wii, XBOX 360 and semi decent PC, do most of my gaming on 360 with most FPS/RTS games on my PC. Keyboard and mouse are more natural for me than trying to aim with the sticks. The best thing for you to do if you are looking at playing FPS on it is to try a few at someones place and see if you really like the control setup. Don't forget too a game on a console is around $30ish more (RRP) than PC which is why I own Call of Duty 4 for PC and not 360. That and online multiplayer whilst easier on the 360 the extra players (32 instead of 16 on 360) and locally hosted servers were just as much of an important factor for price when buying. Cannot say much about the PS3 as I don't own one nor do I ever intend on doing so.

All i have to say to you Ash in relation to the previous discussions on Camera purchases, do not take the sales people's word over that of an accomplished expert who does not stand to gain anything except respect. Working in the industry of retail sales, I can tell you that a Salesperson in a specialty or department store is only concerned with how much money goes into their own pocket. Commission Commission Commission. A salesperson, as opposed to someone employed for their expertise, is only after the money. If there are 3 products that are of similar type, each with slightly differing options, and they make more money on one of them, they're going to hit it up every time. They will sell you something else only if you are insistent that you don't want what they are pushing. I can tell you that at the time you made your enquiries, the D40 had about $400 gross profit on the base model kit, and out of all the models we talked about, it had the highest markup. I'm not a big fan of FPS. On playstation, i tend to play NFS, and other similar clones, classic arcade \ platform games from previous consoles - (sega classics etc). I stick with PC for the majority of the other games I play - which are more RCT \ Warcraft \ StarCraft \ Command and Conquer style games. I couldn't tell you what is best for your needs, having not played the styles of games you like. I like the Idea of the PS3, just simply because of the ongoing abilities - Blu-Ray is happening, so it is a bonus in that regard. Sony is a life brand, and allows the cross compatibility with a lot of other sony facilities. I've never been a fan of Xbox consoles. It always seems as if Microsoft are just after more money. Their controllers have always been very poorly made. a friend of mine has a 360, and in the year or so he's had it, he's been through 5 geniune controls, and about 15 aftermarket ones. I've had my PS2 for 3 years and only bought one set of replacement controls, only because they came as a kit with a dvd remote and extension cables to move back further from the console. We use those new controls because they're more comfortable than the original ones. I just find the Sony products to be a better quality. I don't know about the PS3, but someone saying that the Xbox 360 has a benefit that "the new models have a LOWER failure rate than the old ones that were really high" doesn't seem like a benefit to me - it seems like a negative about them that they are so widely known to fail. Michael said he bought one that came out at launch, and had to repair it once - two years ago. I don't want to spend - well at launch it was in excess of a thousand dollars - on something that has to be repaired, and have the manufacturer accept the "failure rate" as just a matter of doing business. Obviously they've fixed a lot of the failures that were occurring, but to release a substandard product and then just worry about fixing the failures later - and accepting it as a cost of doing business means that they're just money grubbing. My next investment after the PS3 would probably be a Wii. I'm impressed with its abilities and its pricepoint, and it's had nothing but rave reviews. Everyone i've known to have an Xbox or 360 has had nothing but trouble. Just my 12 cents.

PS3 I have stuck with Playstation from the begining. I have a Playstation, PS2, PSP, and PS3 and have had no trouble with any. Although if you are in the middle of the never ending fued between Xbox and Playstation, read up on both, way up the pros and cons, look at the game range and the features. Good Game on ABC2 is on at 9.00pm on Mondays, it is good show for looking at the different consoles, however the hosts are quite annoying. You can also go on the website and download Podcasts.