Who will be the new Dreamworld CEO?

TheMightyBoosh

Took the time to visit WWW on such a hot day today! The park was pretty busy with a few queues here and there.. but it was very enjoyable all the same.. Overheard a couple of the Lifeguards talking about a recent resignation/retirement of Dreamworld CEO Stephen Gregg. Not too sure what to make of it but they seemed adamant. Although he has his opponents I think that his resignation is a loss the the park(s) - ignoring the motorcoaster ;-) I wonder who would be a worthy replacement? TMB

OMG... Please tell me it's true! I'm sorry but his recent decisions with the park have been rather poor ones. I mean the Claw was good and so was White Water World etc. But things like the Flowrider could have been done alot better. Personally I would have liked to see Kevin Bradley take the reigns (the ex COO who was made redundant a month or so again) He was a really nice guy and seemed to have his head screwed on.

^I've said this in the past, but I think the Cyclone purchase was a good thing (Even though the ride is pants), It was great value for money, and gave a lot of us the chance to ride a coaster we might never have gotten to go on otherwise. If it had been announced back in 2001 that some overseas park was getting it (Or a scrap dealer) I can guarantee a lot of people would have been upset.

^ Agreed. Say what you will about the operations of the ride, but for it was an amazing buy at the $7million mark it ended up being. Also remember, it was pretty smooth when it opened, and back in the day, there was talk of a second train for the ride, which unfortunately fell by the wayside. The thing that sucks about it is the operation of the ride, which can pretty much be summed up as poor station/ queue house design and 1 train, and (arguably) the maintenance. Other then that, great addition.

Well I can definitely confirm its true that he 'stepped down' as CEO, as he was also the Director of Development for MLO, it will be interesting to see who steps up to fill the void. Contrary to Dan, I dont think Kevin Bradley would have been a good CEO, he was ok at what he did as COO, but I think he was too alike Stephen Gregg to allow for much growth or movement. This change in management might be the shakeup dreamworld is very much needing. Fingers Crossed for someone who can influence some much needed spending!

Took the time to visit WWW on such a hot day today!
lol really? That means I was at the park on the same day ^_^. Up on holidays for 8 days, from Melbourne, what about u?
Overheard a couple of the Lifeguards talking about a recent resignation/retirement of Dreamworld CEO Stephen Gregg.
This is interesting. Even though there have been some good decisions made by the past CEO's, WWW, Claw, Nick Central (as said before), there have also been some real stinkers: The silent removal of the Mine Ride, the addition of the Motor Coaster (actually rode it for the first time on Sunday and thought it was alright, BUT could have been SO much better and ALOT faster), the addition of the Flowrider, the list goes on. ;) To the whole Cyclone discussion, I think it was a great addition. Mabey not the most extreme coaster, but it looks great at the front of the park and now with the intergration of WWW, it looks alot better, and gets people talking about DW. Probably even making people decide to visit the park. I'm looking forward to see what rides will come in the future. Hopefully something to fix the gap between the front of the park and the back of the park (e.g. Rivertown, Australian Outback Experience) Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

All though it will never happen I would love to see someone from WVTP's approach the role. Someone who has been in the bizz for a long time and as Joz said can approach things with a new set of eyes.. Many moons back, MW hired a GM who had worked at various Parks overseas including GM at Universal Florida. He was hired for his ideas, experience and er his cost cutting mastery. Perhaps DW could go down a similar road? (just not the latter!) I would much rather see DW cope as they are for the time being until they find the RIGHT PERSON for the job.. I know... JOHN LONGHURST!! :P

Is it because jjutpp is so disgusted by his/her own posts that so many are titled with an emoticon that is about to be sick? As far as a replacement for Stephen Gregg goes, as long as they are concerned with fixing the things that need to be fixed very soon, I will be happy. With their recent profit growth, there's nothing really stopping them from improving their maintenance of rides and other areas of the park.

I actually don't think FlowRider was THAT bad of an addition... It brings in some extra profit for the park, but it would have been much better suited for WhiteWater World. I reckon they should make the entry to FlowRider inside WhiteWater World with the addition of a WaveLoch attraction. Steve Peet could be an interesting replacement for Stephen Gregg, he seemed to have his head screwed on with a say in Superman: Escape, SurfRider and Batwing Spaceshot. And as previous people have said we need someone that isn't afraid to spend money on the park, maintaning it for this generation and the next generation. As someone once said "Sometimes you need to spend money to make money"

I actually don't think FlowRider was THAT bad of an addition... It brings in some extra profit for the park, but it would have been much better suited for WhiteWater World. I reckon they should make the entry to FlowRider inside WhiteWater World with the addition of a WaveLoch attraction.
I think that is the main gist, as a water park attraction It works well, but clearly they just rushed it into DW so they could have something new for that year, hence it being a poor decision. Edited by Gazza

^personally i like your examples but how about another classic like what joz said somone from outside the park would be nice my idea is whoever was the ceo of the classic WONDERLAND( :( ) he/she could probally do a great job of the park i reckon please agree with me
Since there were several CEO's of wonderland over the years, can you clarify which one you are referring to? Or what year \ period of Wonderland's life they were managing it? If you're going to say Stephen Galbraith, we have a problem. The problem with Wonderland is most of the good decision making ideas were made at the very beginning - when TAFT broadcasting and Paramount Parks were involved. Back in those days, parks were more about the experience than the money. It would be a hard ask to find any park today that is more about the experience than the money - and before you guys shout me down with claims of Disney, think just about the differences between gift shops 20 years ago, and gift shops today - the same mass-produced merchandise can be found in tomorrowland as you can in frontierland.... its all about the money.

John Longhurst? A guy in his late 70s whose theme park 'achievement' was building a cheap Disneyland knockoff and then selling it for a killing? Dreamworld didn't become successful until long after it was out of his hands. Kevin Bradley? "Nice guy" stuff aside, he was as much a part of the problems that have seen Dreamworld become what it is today. What, was he was out of the office the day these decisions people are lambasting Gregg for were made? Stephen Galbraith? This guy lost most of his credibility for running a sound theme park operation when he was put at the helm of Wonderland's systematic destruction. Though undoubtedly acting on the wishes of the park's owners, it's nonetheless a huge blemish on his record. Steve Peet? I think his departure from WVTP is clouded in a bit of mystery and has a lot to do with the addition of new international management who, with the company's overseas expansions, which to me would probably impact Peet's chances of eventually taking over from Menzies. If he stays in the industry it'd have to be a step up, not a step down as going to Dreamworld would be. Tony Braxton-Smith? Going back to Dreamworld would be a step down for him. Also, sound management is one thing, but someone with diverse and long-term theme park industry experience is what's needed. I honestly don't think Stephen Gregg did a bad job of running the park in the short term, but there is no question that there was no foresight; the park is simply not positioned to build on any of these minor successes into the future. Each year seems to be a battle to barely outperform the year prior. In an location that is achieving huge population growth (2.5% per year), a theme park that can barely average this in attendance growth seems to point to something fundamentally wrong on a managerial level. WhiteWater World was a noteable achievement, but to be fair give anyone the financial resources and a Pro Slide catalogue and they could pull it off.

WhiteWater World was a noteable achievement, but to be fair give anyone the financial resources and a Pro Slide catalogue and they could pull it off.
:lol: Good call mate! I also think Flowrider was an ok addition. Perhaps they will incorporate it into the water park at some later stage? Last time I rode it the attendant told me it was the 'only' ride people buy annual passes for just so they can ride again and again and perform better tricks (so this has to be good business doesn't it?). Perhaps there is more in store for that area of the park. Oh.. almost forgot - the Dreamworld/White Water World entry is going to be moved from the shop on the left of Flowrider to the right of the Flowrider ride (if your interested!?!). New signs went up near the flowrider the other day and the new park(s) map indicate this. How's the MLE share price? ;) on a side note.. will spongey square pants ride be the ONLY new ride for Dreamworld/WWW this year? The bet is still on and it's now mid september! :P TMB

Last time I rode it the attendant told me it was the 'only' ride people buy annual passes for just so they can ride again and again and perform better tricks (so this has to be good business doesn't it?). Perhaps there is more in store for that area of the park. Oh.. almost forgot - the Dreamworld/White Water World entry is going to be moved from the shop on the left of Flowrider to the right of the Flowrider ride (if your interested!?!). New signs went up near the flowrider the other day and the new park(s) map indicate this.
Well Hardly the only ride people buy annual passes for, theres a group of 'regulars' aka the flowpests who are in without fail week in week out, but they hardly amount to anything in the grand scheme of annual pass holders. But there was talk a while ago about getting a second FR unit, possibly something just slightly different, but havent heard anything of that since all of the tightening of the belt kicked in. The World Gate move was in my opinion a very smart move, Trying to negotiate the amount of people moving back and forward last september-christmas (when it started getting hot), through the tiny little gates in the flowrider shop was a pain in the rectal region. Also moving the gate will assist in the flow of people if the expansion ever goes ahead. Quickly back on the subject of CEO's, Stephen Gregg left his position as CEO for personal reasons, and will still stay on in an Advisory position for MLO on a part time basis. I think it was a very dignified step down and He did quite a good job as CEO over his 4 years in the position. Edit: Stephen Gregg will see out the remainder of the year (after a month off) as CEO before he leaves to take up his MLO position, So i dont think we will hear much about a new CEO just yet. Edited by Lotl_90