Themepark Ticketing prices  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Think Current Themepark Ticketing Prices are to High

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you Think Children over 13 Should be Paying Adult Prices

• Yes
    • No

1) Ok for the first part of the poll: I really think themepark ticketing prices are too high and with rising costs including food, petrol and intrest rates it is becoming harder and harder for a family (2 adults, 2 kids) to afford a day at the park which with no discount for MW costs: $228, DW costs: $218 and SW costs: $228. To put it into perspective you are spending a little over 1/5 of the average weekly wage and for that money you only get one day of entertainment. Look at Cedar Pionts ticketing prices and they are signifigantly less for a day at the park. One day costs $43.99 USD Ages 3-61, 48" and taller. Valid any public operating day of the 2008 season (including HalloWeekends). Even with the exchange rate it works out cheaper if you are an adult, however if you are a child it works out roughly the same. The only difference is Cedar piont offers 18 rollercoasters and stays open mostly anywhere from 10.00am to 7.00pm-12.00pm depending on the day you visit 2) I think it is rediculous for our themeparks to be charging parents, Adult ticket prices for their children over 13 years of age. I know it is the normal and most places set set 13 as the bench mark but do you agree with it? Now I know that there are huge running costs in operating a themepark and keeping it well maintained but if you are not a pass holder and do not go for out looking for any discounts availble or even if you do a family day at the park is a very expensive option. Open for discusion.

I think you need to look at the wage comparison and not just the exchange rate to work out which park it cheaper. My parents live in Portland and my wages is more then theirs put together. I just had a quick look and the average wage of the USA is $39,273. If you calculate against each other you will find it cost Australia = 20% of wage where USA = 25% of wage.

I think 13 year olds paying adult prices is fair enough, I think 13 year olds would be among the biggest consumers of the parks resources (ie rides) At that age you should be riding all the thrill rides, but at the same time you are still young enough for some of the kids stuff. Remember, a 13 year old is a teenager, so definitely not a child anyway. Ticket prices though in general are going up a bit much...above CPI anyway, and I think some of the more recent price hikes were unjustified, mainly because they took place before any of this years new rides were open.

I agree - theme park tickets are expensive and I have cut back on my trips to the gold coast due to increasing prices of air travel. It costs me and a mate $700-800 for a night in the gold coast (and that allows two days at the theme parks). The flight is the killer - sometimes as high as $200 ONE WAY from Sydney. I actually discovered recently that it is cheaper to visit Dreamworld and WhiteWaterWorld ($79) than Movie World and Wet and Wild' ($115). I know I sound like a cheapskate - but every dollar counts these days! That being said - and in all seriousness - theme park tickets are not overly priced. It is the method getting to the gold coast which is increasingly expensive. With Wonderland Sydney closed down I have no choice :) And I think the annual passes are a bargain :D If I lived in the gold coast I'd definitely purchase one.

You pay over 200 one way for a ticket :o Ah who on earth are you flying with!!! Even last minute booking isn't that expensive, and if you're only going to be there for two days or one night, why not fly light and just take carry on luggage. We just bought our tickets for flights and got them at $80 return per person. Anyway, I think the prices for SW, WnW and MW are getting a bit ridiculous now, but DW isn't too bad at the moment. I like how they offer a second day at the park at a very low price, and I also like the $15 entry fee to Whitewater World after 3pm. 2 hours there is definitely enough time for me.

Anyway, I think the prices for SW, WnW and MW are getting a bit ridiculous now, but DW isn't too bad at the moment. I like how they offer a second day at the park at a very low price, and I also like the $15 entry fee to Whitewater World after 3pm. 2 hours there is definitely enough time for me.
Well after today, Dreamworld is now back in line with the VR Parks, with $69 adult, and $45 child admission. But yes, the second day passes sell like crazy, as do the WWW upgrades.

You pay over 200 one way for a ticket :o Ah who on earth are you flying with!!! Even last minute booking isn't that expensive, and if you're only going to be there for two days or one night, why not fly light and just take carry on luggage.
Well with virgin blue on a return flight Friday night the cost was $180, and then if I was carrying luggage I have to pay an extra $8 so in total $188 airfare for Gold Coast - Sydney on a Friday night. Getting there on a Thursday morning costs me about $80-100 so that isn't too bad. Weekend flights are always expensive. And I find that if you don't book flights months - and I mean MONTHS in advance you will have to pay premium prices for them. As my schedule changes quickly I don't have that option - I usually book, at the latest - 3 or 4 weeks in advance. Does anyone know why the prices for the theme parks have risen so sharply? I hope the parks are still profitable - don't want to see the gold coast theme parks closing down too!

1) Ok for the first part of the poll: I really think themepark ticketing prices are too high and with rising costs including food, petrol and intrest rates it is becoming harder and harder for a family (2 adults, 2 kids) to afford a day at the park which with no discount for MW costs: $228, DW costs: $218 and SW costs: $228. To put it into perspective you are spending a little over 1/5 of the average weekly wage and for that money you only get one day of entertainment.
Going to the theme park isn't a weekly activity, for most its a yearly, every 2/3 years treat, so to say what part of weekly wage is a bit silly. It is expensive, but so is Gold Class cinema, a nice meal or a night at the theatre. Its a one off special treat, and besides, what self respecting local pays full price anyway?
Look at Cedar Pionts ticketing prices and they are signifigantly less for a day at the park. One day costs $43.99 USD Ages 3-61, 48" and taller. Valid any public operating day of the 2008 season (including HalloWeekends). Even with the exchange rate it works out cheaper if you are an adult, however if you are a child it works out roughly the same. The only difference is Cedar piont offers 18 rollercoasters and stays open mostly anywhere from 10.00am to 7.00pm-12.00pm depending on the day you visit
skeetafly touched on this, but the parks over there are cheap, and not only that, but every thing is cheap. You know why? No one makes any bloody money! If you're making $6 over there as a waiter, you're lucky! Most make $2.13 an hour, yes they get tips, but only if there's customers. If the place you work is dead and you've got a big bill coming up, tough luck. Ride Ops who here make $17/$18 an hour over there are on about $7 an hour. Yes the $ amount is lower then our parks, but its not really the full story. But since we are comparing our price structure to theirs, well most kids hit 48 inches around the age of 8 or 9, so 8 year olds often pay adult price. Food for thought Edited by joz

what self respecting local pays full price anyway?
Exactly! What with the locals discounts (which somehow cover all of QLD and Northern NSW), the myfun 10% discounts, RACQ discounts, entertainment book discounts, Annual passes etc and now staff passes I don't think I've ever been to a theme park and paid full price. Even tourists get package deals...