whirlpool

Ian

there was a memo posted at work today about wet n wild new ride and all the facts it opens in december. and wet n wild has updated there web page with facts as well. http://www.wetnwild.com.au/home/homepage.cfm facts single or tandem tubes Spanning 26 metres in diameter circulate one thousand people per hour This vortex of swirling rapids will revolve you at a speed of 3 metres per second,

• 2 weeks later...

went to wet n wild on friday had a look at construction so far . bascially what I saw was a big round pool empty with about 8 huge round elements going around the pool (like your oven element but way bigger) these round element things will create the whil pool effect also there was a run way slope heading into the pool. and the ride is being made behind the wave pool area.

So, its like Calypso Beach on Speed?
Couldn't have put it better myself :) Despite what I thought, its not one of those wirlpool rides like at Wet 'n' Wild Orlando, but its a huge pool built into the ground. From the stories I'm hearing, during winter the water level will be dropped (or something like that) which will reveal 10 twenty person hot tubs. I think it sounds pretty cool, but I bet its really ganna piss some people off in winter. Any chance of anyone getting photos?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunate news regarding Whirlpool: Due to reasons unknown, Whirlpool has been postponed until '2003'. However, the 'Whirlpool Springs' hot tubs will be opening December 26 to provide therapeutic relaxation for guests, complete with masseurs to really get you in the spirit (guessing 'pay-per-ride', so to speak). It is supposed to be like natural thermal springs; I've been in my fair share (nothing like a night spent at Moree on the way home from the NSW ski fields) of thermal springs, and personally, chlorinated water will never come close to the real thing (hot enough to make your head spin, all sorts of minerals, and the scent of sulphur). Interesting... to say the least. I'm guessing (and hoping) that they'll have the heating turned off for the summer months. Pity they've had to put off the Whirlpool, guessing technical problems are behind it. Straight out, that's what you get when you try and put together an attraction in such a short amount of time (I first knew about it early November, construction, I'm lead to believe only recently began). PS: Sorry I couldn't use words like 'invigorating' or 'self-indulgent bliss' in the description but I'd rather say something original. ;)

Gez, that sucks. I'll still be going out to WNW over summer, but its a real shame whirlpool won't be open. It really sucks when you think how much 'Whirlpool' material has already showed up. Still, its a great example of why its a good idea to open rides during the quiet time of the year.

PS: Sorry I couldn't use words like 'invigorating' or 'self-indulgent bliss' in the description but I'd rather say something original. ;)
What's this you say Richard? Something Original, are you insane??? :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after going to Wet 'n' Wild, I can say that Whirlpool Springs fails in the "rejuvenate your mind, body and soul" department (plus the water isn't heated enough). As we all know, Whirlpool Springs is ten, twenty-person 'invigorating' spas, where "guests will feel like they are in another world as they sink into the calm waters of pure, self-indulgent bliss, that is Whirlpool Springs". Sadly, I wasn't invigorated, and I was pretty aware of what World I was on during the whole experience. I must also say that I was not "tempted to indulge in a luxurious massage by one of Wet N Wild's professional masseurs" and judging by the numbers of people in the park compared to the number of people 'indulging, not many other people were either. Also, I would like to dispute claims that "Whirlpool Springs has been designed to replicate similar natural restorative attractions found in Turkey and New Zealand. With intrinsic therapeutic benefits, you will rejuvenate your mind, body and soul." To be quite honest, It looks more like the spa of a cheap Gold Coast Motel. Its a shame they had to open a winter attraction in the middle of winter, but I'm sure Whirlpool will be a bit of fun when it opens, and Whirlpool Springs will be a bit more welcome in winter. However, in the meantime, Wet 'n' Wild is still as fun as it always has been, with the one point that the 'No pass outs' policy is a joke at best.

• 3 months later...

Whirlpool Springs is officially launching this coming Saturday. Having experienced it this past summer, I can say that I hope that it is a bit better heated in winter than summer. They say it'll be 36º, which I suppose will probably be well and truly double the temperature on some cold winter days. I'm sure this will serve to attract many people to Wet'n'Wild during winter, particularly with the way it is being marketed at this stage (just look at their main page).

Well Richard, I have some good news for you, Wirlpool Springs is now fully heated! The word I'm hearing is that the tubs are set at 30*c. While on the subject, it seems the 'Wirlpool' will be open by the end of the year, apparently after the whole attraction is completly re-designed and re-built. There was a problem with the way the pipes/pumps were set up. The problem which delayed the opening is currently being worked on, and at the moment there is a scaled down 'model' of Wirlpool at SW where engenieers are working out all the kinks in the system.

Whirlpool, I must admit, was a pretty good attraction, as far as diversity goes. It is quite nice during the day if you get the chills to slip into the spas for a few minutes to warm down. Gas heaters scattered around the area also meant that when you got out, you didn't immediately freeze - you could gently adjust again. They certainly prove to be popular. Throughout the day, they were consistently used. There seems to always be plenty of room, but I think they'd be pushing it if they were to try and squeeze in the 20 people per tub that they've based the capacity on. Having said that, I certainly can't wait until the real Whrilpool opens, hopefully this coming summer.