GC Bulletin Article: MacLeisure tips dream run in these rollercoaster times

Gold Coaster

A link would have been nice.
I mentioned this article originally in the Random thread due to the GC Bulletin using a picture of Superman Escape but couldn't find an online version. MacLeisure tips dream run in these rollercoaster times [Photo of Superman Escape] CAPTION: Dreamworld offers affordable leisure experiences :P DREAMWORLD owner Macquarie Leisure Trust Group says its businesses will not be heavily affected by an economic downturn. Macquarie Leisure owns and operates the Dreamworld and Whitewater World theme parks on the Gold Coast as well as AMF bowling centres, Goodlife health clubs, the d'Albora Marinas group and American entertainment venue chain Main Event. The group yesterday reported revenue had grown solidly in the first quarter of fiscal 2009, with all its domestic businesses improving on the prior corresponding period. Dreamworld's first quarter revenue was $23.73 million, up 2.2 per cent. Whitewater World revenue exceeded expectations, increasing by 6.7 per cent from the prior period to $2.71 million, Macquarie Leisure said. The theme parks make up almost 50 per cent of Macquarie Leisure's income. Chief executive Greg Shaw described Macquarie Leisure's businesses as affordable leisure experiences, which were less likely to be hurt by cuts in discretionary spending as the economy slowed. "We would say that we are in the lower-risk category," Mr Shaw said. "There's a lot of things you would probably cut out before you cut out our product." "People are always going to recreate and spend something on leisure, but they might not be able to afford to go on holidays every year." However, cheap air fares to the Gold Coast and Brisbane offered by domestic carriers had contributed to a boost in domestic visitor numbers to the theme parks in the first quarter, Mr Shaw said. However the average per capita spend of customers fell 3.1 per cent to $64.03. International visitor numbers dropped by almost 15 per cent and global economic uncertainty may see that trend continue, despite a depreciating Australian dollar. "One thing that we would be much more confident about is it would boost domestic tourism," Mr Shaw said of the tumbling currency. Macquarie Leisure is also hoping for a drier summer on the Gold Coast in 2009, after last year's big wet in Queensland hurt rvenue over the holiday period. The news was worse for the group's American business, with Main Event's first quarter revenue of $11.62 million down 1.8 per cent on the prior corresponding period. MacLeisure stapled securities closed down 4.5c at $1.03. Edited by Gold Coaster

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves and say I copied it from the Bulletin. I firstly wrote the e-mail on the 29th, when the e-mail was first sent to me regarding this information. Anyone want proof? Also, by the same token, Parkz' was placed on the site after two stories were published, so does that mean he copied it? I think not...

post-1543-1225428664_thumb.jpg

Edited by ash.1111

^^ Now, now, lad, don't get your knickers in a twist. All I said was that it wasn't up before me posting.. Methinks you protest too much. And no, Richard wouldn't copy. He works which means he can't get always things up straight away. Probably started writing before I even typed up my article. Don't let your anger turn you into a werewolf this Halloween night kthx :)

Edited by Gold Coaster

Like right now, I typed that post up while half-watching a TV show... so was a bit distracted. Big deal. You must be having a very dull Friday night. I'm not going to continue this stupid conversation when - here's a thought - you'd be better off putting your energy into the topic of the article. And you know, Ash, I gave you the time of day when you were new here. That doesn't make me a God but I wouldn't have expected to be repaid by this pissy little conversation & other crap you've been saying lately over both MSN and this forum. Move on! This is tripe and you carrying on like this is part of why I blocked you on IM.

Edited by Gold Coaster

Ash just seemed like he was having a go at my typing up of the article (which I acknowledged in the Random thread as being from the bulletin). FEH. Over this. Ash and I aren't seeing eye-to-eye lately, I don't want to derail threads on this forum with pissy arguments. Come onto MSN, Ash, I've taken you off block. Don't know where all this is coming from but let's not drag the forum down. Want to resolve this maturely in IM.

Edited by Gold Coaster

If the newspaper had said it in the original I imagine Tony would have written "(sic)" or something to that effect when retyping. PS, this whole argument is lame. If it were a typo on the part of the Bulletin it would be a moot point to say they were slack anyway since the whole reason this article gained attention was because they got the photo wrong.

Edited by Gazza

hahaha You can take the child out of the theme park but you can't take the theme park out of a child... :P Seriously guys.. recess is over now it's back to work! It's funny that Dreamworld/WWW has stated that visitors aren't spending as much per head because if anyone has noticed they have increased entry (for adults) to $69... so perhaps they are aiming to take a little of that unspent money at the gate?? TMB

increased entry (for adults) to $69.
:o How would they expect to compete with the Village roadshow parks with this rise in cost ? In fact this has already put me off a trip to Dreamworld this summer. You can expect a rise of a couple of dollars every few years, but a jump such as this could seriously hinder attendence. Particuarly in a time when people are tending to spend less.

Although a strong psychological barrier of $69 sounding higher than what it was before, but it really is only a few extra dollars. Chances are it wont hinder there amount of guests. I mean were not talking $10 like Six Flags did and Dreamworld isn't charging to park like they could... most parks in the states charge to park.. Granted parks in America have good rides.

Edited by DonjaiInLA