Halloween Family Fun Night (Review - 30-10-08)

BNErider

On Thursday the 30th October, I attended Movie World's annual Halloween Family Fun Night. To no surprise, the place was packed... and to think of those poor soles who were visiting Friday night. The first ride I went on was Batwing, and oh boy, I can tell you that it had to have been some of the slowest operation of that ride I have ever encountered. Nonetheless, the airtime made up for the snail-pace operation. Then onto the not-so-Scary Maze... Now I can tell you that the name wasn't the only thing lame about this attraction, if you could call it that. It literally was just temporary fencing with some fancy lighting and fog added. No live actors to be seen, but I just figured that they may have fallen asleep like I was about to do. After that awful attraction, I needed something scary, real scary. The first time I went through the Fright Zone it seemed like there were no actors and the layout was boring... but I knew that couldn't be possible, so I did it again, and can I tell you that I'm glad I did! Here's a tip, if you see a group of teenage girls enter, follow them, because it is soooooo funny to hear them scream like little kids. Then back onto Main Street were I saw all those scary live actors and some grown men acting like, well, crazy people. The same people who I saw smoking in the Batwing line earlier! The Zombie Laser Skirmish was a real letdown, $5 for ten minutes... but hey, I'm sure there's many Luna Park fans who'd be happy to visit Movie World and fork out more money. On my way back up to Superman I encounter a little 'extra' attraction not mentioned on the park map. It was pretty much just Police Academy's old props made to look like they were in a war zone with some blood and guts added. Did I mentioned there was that random spider back to 'scare' (cough) guests? Onto Superman, where the operation was slow as well, although this one was due to one train operation – don't ask me why this is the case. Overall, a good night out for the general public or coaster nerds alike, and a sure-fire way for Movie World to grab some extra cash for that B&M coaster we're all wishing for.

post-1543-1225378042_thumb.jpg

post-1543-1225378137_thumb.jpg

post-1543-1225378208_thumb.jpg

post-1543-1225378240_thumb.jpg

I went last night too, But something happened at the end of the night that I'm not sure of. I was queuing up for Spooky coaster, when they suddenly asked the people who were about to set off on the ride to get out. At first a messege started playing that they would have to temporarily close the ride. Then there came a messege that it would be closed for the night, the staff member on duty rushed off dawn the track never to return, any ideas as to what happened?

Sure, they could have done more, but in all honesty I was quite impressed when I went on wednesday (29th), it doesnt look much but the atmosphere was great. I also found Batwing to be running rediculously slow, the queue line was barely around the first corner, and it still took 25 mins to be done with the ride. I didnt even bother waiting the 40mins that It took my friends to get on Superman. Scooby was doing really really well though. No longer than 20mins all night. Overall well done to them. I really enjoyed the park at night, I think it would be cool for them to do a few more night-time events in the year.

one was a kids maze though, over near ricks, so if you were expecting a lot, thats not the purpose of it. Tonight they had the whole scooby theme happening at the kids maze instead of previous nights. The entry queue was lined with totem poles, good lighting and plenty of smoke. The entry into arkham was busy tonight, both nights they managed to scare the **** out of my girl friend. There was a doctor in the room with the half a corpse on the table. The clown was bad enough, but the doctor followed her across the maze and wouldnt let her pass, just staring at her inching closer. She froze in fear and I had to help her through because she literally couldnt move. Kudos to whoever that was, you did your job well. :lol: The band were good both nights, tonights costume comp was fun, adams family walking around handing out tickets for good costumes (cheers!) and sending you on your way. Generally I thought the staff roaming the park were pretty well themed, some good costumes, some good scares I saw with people jumping out from nowhere. Crowd interaction with the kids was brilliant, getting them to scream their lungs out, hah, you should have seen the look on some of their faces. Thousands of feet of smoke enveloped the place, those machines were working overtime, but they were totally awesome for hiding in and jumping out. You could get lost in some of them. Lighting was pretty cool down main street, spiders webs were ok, but i reckon they should have followed them up with some thin, wispy sort of web too, make it look like webs, rather than the fabric sort of stuff it was. To whoever darth was, thanks for the sword fight, that was hilarious. Thursday the ride times were good, we hit leathal weapon first, did superman, then went back to lethal, wouldnt have been more than a 20min wait in each of them. Rode superman then lethal just before they closed, would have been half an hour those times, but to the parks credit they still had the rides going at 9:30 to finish off the people who were still in lines. They could have just shut them off and left it at that, but they kept them running and I think that showed a bit of class. Tonights rides were long of course, but, hey, I dont think ive ever seen that many people in the park, ever. Not even during the busiest days, just thousands of people and a stack of good costumes. Again, they ran the rides long past the advertised close time. It was about 9:20 when we got on superman for the last time, still people behind us. Good stuff. The wait was still worth it, riding in the dark was loads of fun. Some ripper costumes tonight (more so than thusday). The halo guy was great, starwars storm troopers, terminator (who won best costume) was good. Plenty of vamps and ghouls about the place, loads upon loads of tarted up girls with very very high skirts, more than once was I given a whack and told to fold my tounge back up :lol: Even saw a couple of different demons that looked pretty gruesome. The family of batman villans was good, girlfriend got her photo taken with scooby, so she's happy for atleast the rest of the year. Asian tourists provided good value, they love to be scared and will do so at the drop of a hat. They also love taking photos, I must have posed for 40-50 photos tonight, everyone wanted to play with my sword. It was loads of fun though, they are so nice about it, actually everyone was pretty good, young kids too. I gave out plenty of "pirate gold" tonight, went through about a kilo of chocolate. Got a few taps on the shoulder by mystery people, if it was anyone here, hi, you should have stopped and had a chat. In all I think the night(s) were good fun, if you take yourself too seriously, you will find fault with things you probably should have expected to happen. For only running a couple of years I reckon they did a pretty good job, it will get even better next year, we are already planning our costumes (I reckon im going on stilts, did you see lurch!?!), definately back next year. :) For what it was, with the amount of trafic going through the gates, I reckon they did a pretty good job. Full nights like tonight would only show them they can bring them in, so its got to be good motivation for improvements next year. Most importantly, we had fun, thats what matters B) Ohh and churros. Got to have churros. :D

Guest Doc Brown

did you have your face painted as the joker? i drove in the delorean, and the funniest thing happened, a volkswagen bus that was blue drove behind me, i shouted out LIBIYANS! lol i thought the guys dressed as terminators were awesome!!!

did you have your face painted as the joker?
No my face was white, black eyes and lips and blood dripping from eyes and lips as well. I'm told it's the best I've ever looked at work. A few of my friends were painted as the joker though. Some of us were still painted around the eyes the next day, that paint is hard to get off.

The entry into arkham was busy tonight, both nights they managed to scare the **** out of my girl friend. There was a doctor in the room with the half a corpse on the table. The clown was bad enough, but the doctor followed her across the maze and wouldnt let her pass, just staring at her inching closer. She froze in fear and I had to help her through because she literally couldnt move. Kudos to whoever that was, you did your job well. :lol:
Thanks for the kind comments really means alot I had a great time puting fear into people. will post a photo update as I had a fellow photographger come and shoot us before the night started. but heres a preview shot. prehall.jpg

On Thursday the 30th October, I attended Movie World's annual Halloween Family Fun Night. To no surprise, the place was packed... and to think of those poor soles who were visiting Friday night. The first ride I went on was Batwing, and oh boy, I can tell you that it had to have been some of the slowest operation of that ride I have ever encountered. Nonetheless, the airtime made up for the snail-pace operation. Then onto the not-so-Scary Maze... Now I can tell you that the name wasn't the only thing lame about this attraction, if you could call it that. It literally was just temporary fencing with some fancy lighting and fog added. No live actors to be seen, but I just figured that they may have fallen asleep like I was about to do. After that awful attraction, I needed something scary, real scary. The first time I went through the Fright Zone it seemed like there were no actors and the layout was boring... but I knew that couldn't be possible, so I did it again, and can I tell you that I'm glad I did! Here's a tip, if you see a group of teenage girls enter, follow them, because it is soooooo funny to hear them scream like little kids. Then back onto Main Street were I saw all those scary live actors and some grown men acting like, well, crazy people. The same people who I saw smoking in the Batwing line earlier! The Zombie Laser Skirmish was a real letdown, $5 for ten minutes... but hey, I'm sure there's many Luna Park fans who'd be happy to visit Movie World and fork out more money. On my way back up to Superman I encounter a little 'extra' attraction not mentioned on the park map. It was pretty much just Police Academy's old props made to look like they were in a war zone with some blood and guts added. Did I mentioned there was that random spider back to 'scare' (cough) guests? Onto Superman, where the operation was slow as well, although this one was due to one train operation – don't ask me why this is the case. Overall, a good night out for the general public or coaster nerds alike, and a sure-fire way for Movie World to grab some extra cash for that B&M coaster we're all wishing for.
That's one thing that pisses me off with MW. They know they'll get a huge crowd but insist on running 1 train. People paid extra $$ to enter the park. At least they could have ran 2 trains.

I went to the first Halloween in 2006. It's really sad to see that they still have not figured out how to successfully pull off these nights after 2 years. After the first year we decided not to go again and after talking to my brother who went this year and reading these posts, I'm glad we didn't go.

I know it may be harsh and/or incorrect, but are you Doc Brown?
No I'm not. I'm simply a very long time annual pass holder. I know it seems like I'm picking the park to shreds, but I'm not meaning to. Honestly, after 13 years of annual passes, it is sad to see the direction the park is taking considering it started out with such an amazing potential, the only movie themed theme park in the Southern Hemisphere, now it's becoming just like the rest. Other than the different rides it is beginning to fall into a typical theme park state. I take no offence to the Doc Brown comment, in some ways I agree with him, a lot of ways I disagree with him, but he is still a tool and does need to mature a bit.

movie worlds night is very good I have been last two years. It may not be as good as american night but nothing is as good as here as American parks!!! Nor may it be as good as it could be, but it's only been going for three years it's going to be a while before it's nearly perfect. It's going to take time for this to happen three year is not a lot of time for this event and each year it's getting bigger and better also it doesn't have any compettetion if dreamworld did it, it would be a whole lot better!!!