Terminator the ride Six Flags magic mountain

sonic123488

Suprised no one has posted anything in the international parks section about this. This piece from the magic mountain site- Take a deep breath and climb aboard Terminator®: The Coaster — a journey that begins at Six Flags Magic Mountain and transports you into a desolate future to battle alongside John Connor and his post-apocalyptic legion of Tech-Com soldiers. With five belly-flopping hills and six high speed banked turns, Terminator®: The Coaster is a state-of-the-art ride that combines the acrobatic thrills of a modern roller coaster while retaining the nostalgic look and feel of a classic "woodie." The unparalleled sights and sounds will drop and turn you straight into the confines of Skynet’s artificially intelligent network of lethal machines, in one final attempt to save human kind. Join the resistance spring 2009. Terminator®: The Coaster By The Numbers Height Restrictions min. 48" Ride Category Thrill Flash Pass No Length 2,850 feet Unique Features Loading station "fly-thru" and on-board entertainment elements Introduction Coming in spring 2009 Manufacturer Great Coasters International Inc. (GCII) What perplexes me is that they're making terminator the ride a woodie, in a series based on metal and technology.

I really don't like that name and looking on other forums it seems that most coaster crazed Americans would agree with me. I don't know, it just sounds so blunt and tacky. Interesting to see another coaster with on board entertainment systems, it seems to be coming more and more common over in the U.S. which leads me to wonder when one will arrive down under.

Someone on TPR gave a good suggestion of what the ride story could involve. Here it is

, while with the Terminator itself, you think of the "machines", this movie is supposed to be set in a 'post-apocalyptic' world. Well, with a little bit of creative theming, the ride could essentially have risen out of the remains of the scorched earth and could be made to look like the remains of buildings and whatnot. Add an in depth queue line to this, and perhaps a tunnel or two with some Terminator units in them where you are going slow enough to see them, and some sort of ending and this thing could actually be a winner theme, I think.
From goatdan Personally I thought it was a good idea, but what do you think about it, or do you have any other ideas.

The debut is scheduled to coincide with the release of the McG directed film Terminator Salvation™ next year, and will introduce fans to an entirely new universe inspired by the film's post apocalyptic setting.
Yeah, I think you are on the mark with this one mickey (well, the TPR member anyway) Wood is still an odd choice yada yada yada, but I think a lot of the critics would have been silenced had they gone for a steel support structure, though I'm uncertain if GCI offers these. In any case, a modern woodie is something SFMM was lacking, so the ride is a good choice on that aspect alone.

What we're forgetting here folks is that this ride is going into Magic Mountain, so it really doesn't matter how it's themed because in 18 months it'll be as dilapidated, badly running and full of twelve year old ride ops as every other attraction in the park :P

Have to disagree. Speaking with Neal Thurman, you get a sense of how focussed they are on turning things around... I am happy to have been there pre-Thurman because I can then appreciate further how the place will change. This will be an excellent addition to the park, I am glad they are getting a modern woodie.

Yeah it may have changed but it still has broken down theming, low capacity, terrible staff and even worse patrons. The fact is that most of the staff at SFMM (and Knotts for that matter) are more worried about the fact they can hear themselves on a microphone than serving the guests.

you get a sense of how focussed they are on turning things around...
Having been there three times in the last four years with the most recent visit about a month ago, I still maintain that the only thing I've seen turned around at SFMM is the Colussus train :P

Im guessing nev is talking about when they run one side of Colossus backwards during the Halloween season. I didn't think SFMM was as bad as it is made out to be, visually some parts look very shabby, but at the same time the mountain itself is wonderful and shady. I guess I sort of lucked out and went on a day with queues that weren't bad and Ninja being the only coaster that was down. Operationally some rides, such as scream, could do with improvement. I'd still revisit in the future.

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...

That was me. All I had said was that the 'metallic' nature of the terminator theme could have been better achieved had they gone for a steel support structure. At the time I made that post the coaster had been official for two weeks, so the layout, and the fact it would be fully wood was well known, hence me posting:

Wood is still an odd choice yada yada yada, but I think a lot of the critics would have been silenced had they gone for a steel support structure, though I'm uncertain if GCI offers these.
Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the misread, BTW the coaster name has changed to "Terminator Salvation: The Coaster" If a mod could make the change it would be much appreciated. Here is the rcdb if you're too lazy to look it up This is expected to cost US 10 million, a price in MW's range B)

Edited by sonic123488

• 2 months later...

That's why "God" invented Qbots! :P I'll be there in August. My friend Matt & I are meeting up in Orlando for a couple of weeks but I'll hit LA/some East Coast parks before or after that. Originally we were going to be in May for my birthday but opted to go a few months later to make it easier to save up in time and make it coincide with his instead. But this way, I'll definitely get to do -- Terminator Hollywood Rip Ride Rock It Manta :) And being that I haven't done Expedition Everest yet and might even throw in a visit to Belmont Park, Legoland and Pacific Park, that's quite a lot of new coasters to enjoy.