Fire on Wild West Falls

Richard

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was on WWF in February. At that time, there was of course a lot of the normal stuff missing due to them wanting to get it reopened. If you looked up you could see the extensive smoke and fire damage to the roof and on one of the light globes believe it or not. I'd say by now, it would have been pulled down for extensive repair and returned to its almost original state I guess. Or more accurately how they want it to be for some time to come.

Well yeah I was there late Feb too and yes the damage was incredible. Fortunately for your average GP member that would have no clue, a true credit to the MW crew for getting it back so quickly. There is still much work to do and as it has been sugested I imagine it will go down for quite some time once the weather cools off a bit, possibly post holidays Rabid? You wouldn't want to have a major water ride closed in this weather!

• 1 month later...

So what's the status of this ride now? Have the effects in the final splashdown room been fixed? Does the barrel still expand? Does smoke and wind still push you out of the top? I hope so as those were some of the best bits. Truly an amazing ride but it needs all elements working for it to be the same. Are there any obvious signs of fire or smoke damage?

Yeah I'm not planning on visiting the park anytime soon... just wondering out of interest whether or not all of the effects in the final splashdown room have been repaired/fixed. It's one of my pet peeves when theme parks don't upkeep rides to their original standard including ALL effects

had training at work today and was finished by 10am so decided to get some rides done before going home. About 3/4 of the way up the lift hill on the final drop it has a new theme which is Dark with tin sheding and sign and dynamite. also all the water features on the ride eg Geyser ect now soak the boat each time so you will get wetter thoughout the course.

Yeah that tin shedding and the strobes were put in after the fire it would seem... Looks a bit like a 'patch up' job if you ask me. Nothing against them doing that at all just I think that's exactly what it is, an interum measure. Look forward to seeing the effects fully restored, whenever that may be.

So does the dynamite barrel thing still 'explode' at the end of the ride? This was one of my favourite effects. For those that don't know... when the boat reaches the top of the final lift hill it is turned around on a turntable and faces outwards. There is then a large explosion noise followed by a big gust of wind and smoke. This has the effect of 'pushing' the boat out the top and down that awesome drop. Does this still happen?

My guess would be at the moment no, it doesn't still happen. I have no problem that MW still haven't gotten to fixing it and replacing the theming though. However if they have decided not to bother then I think that is pretty poor because the ride is pretty 'cheap and nasty' up there at the moment.

I had the chance to check out Wild West today. The ride is still very different at the top of the hill. Its now themed to look like a gold mine, with open mine shafts and barrels. There are flashing lights signage and whatnot. The same soundtrack plays ("Once the spark hits the powder..... all the sound effects are still the same, but there is no smoke and no wind. There is a more obvious flash of lights as the explosion sound effect goes off though. Its not the parks best themeing job, and reminds me of the job DW did themeing Cyclone. Having said that, in the time frame they had to do the job, it all looks pretty good. We'll see what happens when annual maintenance time comes around.

Good to hear they have progressed from the originat 'tin shed' quick fix. Still hope to see a proper 'first class' theming redo when the ride goes down for its rehab though. Anything less would do this world class ride no justice.

• 3 months later...