Classic or Modern?

MaxxTheMonster

I in part agree with Doc Brown... The old rides were classics, and it's experiences like that which would help us to refer to our children what we grew up with... None of the kids I know have any idea what a Gremlin is, who Young Einstein was or how movie magic has changed over the years. I'm not saying they should not have built new rides such as Scooby Doo or Superman, but it is moving away from the whole idea of a movie based theme park... to show how what we watch on the big screen is realised, filmed and brought to life. The other issue with removing old attractions to put in new ones is that parts of the park just do not make any sense now. For example, Looney Tunes Stage Show, which has the Looney Tunes characters singing to rock and roll music... is in the Western Themed area... and the rest of the Looney Tunes attractions are on the other side of the park... They got rid of Young Einstein (I heard it was due to termites) to put in Harry Potter, then updated that, then removed it to put in the Matrix exhibit, then got rid of that and put in a gaming arcade... they even got rid of the olde time photo shop and replaced it with second rate sideshow games. When Movieworld was first opened it was said that it would always be about how movies were made and never about rollercoasters, and for the first several years it was, but now there is Lethal Weapon, Scooby Doo, Road Runner Rollercoaster and Superman Escape. The only one of which is decently themed from the start of the queue line to the end of the ride is Scooby Doo, but even in saying that the smoke machines have been turned way down, half the lasers don't work on any given day, some of the animatronics have been out for up to a month before being repaired, and some of the vocals are now non existent. The roof could have been a great asset, however is covers less than 25% of the park and now creates terrible echo in Main Street, meaning if there is a show outside the Daily Planet building and the atmosphere music near the Department Store you get this awful jumble of noise. Speaking of the Daily Planet Building, besides the fact half of the front of it is now blocked by the big screen, Batman used to repel down it and Neo at one time took a flying fox from the top of it, why is it still there? Shouldn't it be replaced by something in the feel of Gotham City, since Batman is the number one character attraction (he does have his own show and is the final character in the Main Street Parade after all...) And why is Gotham Cafe so far away from the other Batman attractions? Overall I think Movieworld is only focussing on the next big attraction that will make them more money, (and being a business that is understandable) but in doing so is letting the remaining attractions suffer. And being someone who has had a yearly pass for the past 13 years and watched the face of the park through its many changes... bring back the first couple of years, at least the park made sense and had some sense of pride in itself back then.

Quite frankly, I prefer to have an echo then be rained on.
If you actually want to achieve anything worthwhile in the park you need to leave the area and get rained on anyways, and when you walk out any end you get all the water that was falling throughout the area focused in one area instead. The only place you stay dry is where all the shops are located. Again, just a plot to seperate people with their money faster.

Wyn so what if no child remembers who or what the gremlins are? It was a MOVIE release back in the 80's. Damn I don't hear kids or even teens talking about Casablanca any more either, but it doesn't mean it's forgetton, its just not with today's age. Children these day's don't care what was made 20 years ago, it's what they see today and that's what they like and remember. The point is, Movieworld has made a wise choices to remove Gremlins with a much more modern attraction based around a more modern movie. Teens and kids these days want thrills, they don't want to learn about movie magic, its what the internet is for now days. The movie magic thing at Universal pulls in hardly anyone compared to say Jurassic Park or The Mummy.

Firstly only half of that made sense Secondly it's a theme park and suppose to make money. It's not a charity. Smart business men do it to make money. Every theme park is the same, including disney, because if they didn't we wouldn't get new rides. Thirdly I think the parks additions have been great they have really evolved and alot has always been mix matched. Besides it's got the same CEO john Menzies who is very knowledgeable and knows what's best for the park. I'm sorry to tell you but the park cannot stay the same way forever. Fourthly if you and doc brown hate movie world so much now don't go!!! And fifthly you really do seem like Doc brown! Sorry if your not, I apologize but you really do!!! And sixthly this discussion is now way off topic!!! Should this be split???

Edited by Original

Fourthly if you and doc brown hate movie world so much now don't go!!! And fifthly you really do seem like Doc brown! Sorry if your not, I apologize but you really do!!!
I never said I hated the park and don't assume that I do. I would not continue to get an annual pass if that was the case. Movieworld continues to impress with its additions to the park, it is a shame that it is "out with the old and in with the new", as I said, I know it's a business and they are there primarily to make money. I was there on the first day they ran Scooby Doo (about 4 weeks before the official opening date as test runs with the public), I was on the first public launch of Superman Escape (something only 20 people can truthfully claim), so yes these additions are amazing, and since Scooby opened I have never reconsidered my choice to continue to purchase annual passes. I'm just saying it is a shame that this stuff has happened. For future reference, I am not Doc Brown and do not compare me to such a mindless and immature individual please. Thank you.

I've split this one off into its own topic, and I'm interested in other people's opinion about this. I think what Wyncenuros was getting at isn't "They should not build new stuff and keep everything old" but rather, "The park should be about making Movies not random theme park rides”. Personally, I like the direction MW is heading in. I don't really care to spend a whole day learning how movies are made, the idea of walking around a pretend working studio learning doesn't really appeal to me, not for $70 per person anyway. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I much prefer the current theory where you go to Movieworld and "Ride the Movies", where the movie comes alive and you're in the middle of the action. I'll give you an idea about what I mean: Imagine there's a new park called "Magic World" an entire park was based around magic and illusions. Wouldn't it be much better to encounter "Real magic" rather then being told repeatedly how the tricks worked? (Its all fake everyone!!!) Well that’s basically the way I feel about Movieworld, I find it much more fun to "Enter the Movies" as it were, rather then simply learn about them. While I must admit I’d love for the Studio Tour to come back so there could be one very well done, token attraction based on making movies, though Hollywood Stunt-driver may end up taking that role. I also disagree with some of the bad opinions people have about the new stuff, particularly the roof. I don't believe the roof will improve retail sales, if anything, I think it will hurt retail sales. Before the roof went all the way over Main Street, as soon as it started raining, everyone went into the shops. Now, they'll stay out on Main Street, maybe see Sherek or take a seat and watch the Big Screen. Sure some will go into the shops as well, but not in the same numbers they used too. They'll make that money back on the extra functions, but I don't think it’s a money making move that’s to the detriment of the rest of the park, and IMHO greatly improves the park. On the whole, I think they're getting better, I mean look at their two major coasters, Lethal and Superman. Lethal is the old style, where there was some very weak Stunt driver tie-in to justify it in a 'behind the scenes' park, where Superman: Escape is the "Ride the movie" style. Look at the other rides, Wild West Falls takes you on a journey through a western movie, Scooby Doo takes you to the Ghost ride from Scooby Doo, and it could even be argued that Roadrunner puts you into a Road Runner Cartoon. It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason Batman Adventure is still in the park is because it is a ride through the Batman universe. Having said all that, sure they could do some these things better. Batwing Space shot doesn't really fit the mould of the park, and while I don't think every ride has to be indoors and be a full on "Experience" I think Batwing does stretch it a bit far. It would be nice if we could have more characters out and about in the park. Some attempt at proper "themed lands" would be great along with staying true to that (If there's going to be another Looney Tunes show made from scratch, and its going into the Western Area why can't it Star Yosemite Sam and be a western?). And will someone please tell DreamWorks / Universal that your pre-show should be themed to fit with the actual 4D Movie.

And why is Gotham Cafe so far away from the other Batman attractions?
You'll be happy to know that problem was fixed in MW Germany, which is shame really since that MW is the one that really lost the plot. :)

Lol... go me for quote of the month. Best bit is I only became a member 3 days ago, but you quickly learn who Doc Brown is lol. Anyways... thank you Joz that someone understands where I'm coming from...

I think what Wyncenuros was getting at isn't "They should not build new stuff and keep everything old" but rather, "The park should be about making Movies not random theme park rides”.
Well that’s basically the way I feel about Movieworld, I find it much more fun to "Enter the Movies" as it were, rather then simply learn about them. While I must admit I’d love for the Studio Tour to come back so there could be one very well done, token attraction based on making movies, though Hollywood Stunt-driver may end up taking that role.
I loved the old studio tour and even for a short while the small bit they kept as the "Movie Magic Sound Stages" was not too bad, but it quickly became outdated as the movies they make nowadays while still using some of the same techniques, are leaving the more simplistic tech behind. They could have brought it up to speed with new technology and movies as is was still bringing in big crowds for at least 5 shows a day.
Having said all that, sure they could do some these things better. Batwing Space shot doesn't really fit the mould of the park, and while I don't think every ride has to be indoors and be a full on "Experience" I think Batwing does stretch it a bit far. It would be nice if we could have more characters out and about in the park. Some attempt at proper "themed lands" would be great along with staying true to that (If there's going to be another Looney Tunes show made from scratch, and its going into the Western Area why can't it Star Yosemite Sam and be a western?).
I whole heartedly agree. The spaceshot just looks way out of place. I honestly think that a flying coaster would have made more sense for a Batwing Adventure ride, maybe even intertwining it with Superman Escape and the queue line for Batman Adventure - The Ride.