ring°racer

DaptoFunlandGuy

I was going to say I am surprised we haven't talked about this one, but being it is in Germany, its unlikely many have heard of it yet. This bugger is going to be the fastest coaster on the planet. ring°racer is an S&S Power "Thrust Air Coaster" capable of acceleration to 134.8 MILES per hour in just 2.5 seconds, or 216KPH, more than twice as fast as superman escape. The compressed-air launch system comes from S&S's concept of drop towers called Space Shot, and the founder of S&S Power, Stan Checkett, came up with the concept to put the vertical propulsion system Horizontal. First announced in 2001, with the introduction of Hypersonic XLC at Paramount King's Dominion, with a top speed of 80mph in just 1.5 seconds, S&S Power have upped the ante with ring°racer by a further 68%. Construction is underway at Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate Germany, at the Nürburgring Park facility, where the new ring°racer will debut on June 11th, 2009. Links - Coaster Facts S&S Press Release on Compressed Air Launches

After the passengers enter through a railway station in the new indoor attraction, Racecoaster's launch runs parallel to the Grand Prix stretch on the race track, with its starting point aligned to the starting line of the track. Here, the vehicle accelerates to its top speed of 217 km/h, travels 480 meters (1574.8 ft) along the race track then sharply curves to the left. The coaster's route leads back through the Boulevard and ends again in the railway station. Each of the coaster's two four-car vehicles is capable of transporting eight passengers. Altogether, the coaster travels 1.2 kilometers (3937.01 feet) in its adrenaline-packed course Looking at the plans it a flat track with a number of corners.

• 3 weeks later...

Preview vid here: http://www.s-spower.com/coasters/f1coaster/f1coaster.php Basically,it launches into a brake run. You hit world record speed, then you get slowed down to 100-90km/h or so to negotiate this weird "alpha" shaped element, then get braked again to make a slow trip back to the station. Seems like a missed opportunity....obviously it would have to be braked before the return trip, and a TTD/KK style top hat would add heaps to the cost, but something like a flattened parabolic speed hill wouldn't have been out of the question, and I dont see why the return trip has to be done so slowly. But the launch and that alpha shaped element do look really good...it ends the debates I have seen as to whether this is really a proper coaster.

Like the look of the cars, shame they didn't go for a lowered front set so that the second row could get the front row view. Basically it all about power like the tower of terror was 10 years ago, however I'd love to see some more S&S rides in Oz, perhaps a nice large screaming swing for the gold coast.

Preview vid here: http://www.s-spower.com/coasters/f1coaster/f1coaster.php Basically,it launches into a brake run. You hit world record speed, then you get slowed down to 100-90km/h or so to negotiate this weird "alpha" shaped element, then get braked again to make a slow trip back to the station. Seems like a missed opportunity....obviously it would have to be braked before the return trip, and a TTD/KK style top hat would add heaps to the cost, but something like a flattened parabolic speed hill wouldn't have been out of the question, and I dont see why the return trip has to be done so slowly. But the launch and that alpha shaped element do look really good...it ends the debates I have seen as to whether this is really a proper coaster.
This ride has so much potential yet a relatively boring layout. What about some high speed, over banked turns on the way back to the station. 600th post :) Edited by cadboy