DCA Construction

DonjaiInLA

I haven't seen it really brought up so maybe you dont know/care. But that wont stop me reporting about one of my favourite parks! So yeah, there fixing the park up, but instead of doing it systematically, there just kind of closing everything at once. This is Californias Paradise Bay in 2006; ParadisePier_01.sized.jpg And this is it today: 112408-dca003-sm.jpg And they say global warming doesnt exist. May also notice the sun wheel is down, with the wierd orange thing and flying spaceship rides also closing soon. Reall complements all the games and restauraunts along the boardwalk which are closed. The entry will be closed and moved to where Who Wants To be a Millionaire was. The new entry will be moved out to where the big letters are, and most of the Hollywood Studios part will close as well. Alladin show is now over, and part of the "Bugs Life" section will close as well. A carpark is closed to start construction on there new Cars inspired land (Irony) and they will replace the trams that service both Disney parks with San Fransisco inspired trolleys. So yeah, hope no one plans to go back to DCA for a few years. More pictures of construction here from Westcoaster.

That almost scraps my plans to go there, can someone who's been there tell me if that will make a huge difference to my experience at the park? But I think they're going maybe a bit far getting ride of trolleys, I mean this is a California adventure not a Disneyland duplicate. Trolleys are one of the most symbolic things about San Fran.

Yeah, definitely still go, they'll be doing their best to keep as much as possible open...they are mainly doing cosmetic stuff and getting rid of unpopular rides. Stuff like TOT, CA Screamin, Grizzly River Run, Soarin' over CA, Toy Story Mainia etc will still be open.

Why is this being done to the park? There's nothing wrong.
The reason they are doing this is because the park has consistently not met attendance targets, and has had criticism from day one for not being 'Disney' enough. I mean, what sort of Disney park has off the shelf stuff like a Space shot and a Mack Wild Mouse?
I mean this is a California adventure not a Disneyland duplicate. Trolleys are one of the most symbolic things about San Fran.
The main entrance area of the park is being made to be like a San Francisco street, yeah its essentially the same approach as Main St USA, but people love it so whatever works... The park as a whole looks at many aspects of California, not just wilderness adventure stuff, so it should fit in well.

Im not saying it won't look good when it's done, from the concept art I've seen it looks very good (toy story mania is an excellent example of what is going to come, but Disney or not Paradise Pier is supposed to be a larger scale Santa Monica pier and it's hard to work Disney into that. After all to make the sun wheel Disney-ed, there re naming it and putting mickeys face on the side. And as a fun fact, they are closing TOT to male the seats wider for "the next generation american" like what they did to the boats on it's a small world, that's irony.