SE Harness Saftey System

jbrissenden

Hi Forum World, I have a question about the harness`s on the superman. When i was at Movie World last weekend, around lunchtime i jumped on the SE, the load was all clear but when we got half way out of the station, someone undid their seatbealt. This cause an e-stop, the whole ride system shut down. My question is - How is the system setup to detect that a seatbelt is undone. Can this be caused by anything else. How they restart SE back up, what is the checklist for SE after a E-Stop Thanks

I daresay if anything It was noticed on a monitor somewhere by an operator, who in turn would have e-stopped if they saw it as being a risk, or if thats a policy for the operation of that ride. I highly doubt the unclipping of a belt would have actually caused the ride to stop, considering safety belts are generally only there in case the OS/Lap Bar restraint systems somehow fail. You did say the whole ride shut off though, Is it possible it was just a general ride fault which caused the ride to stop? Maybe the stop had nothing to do with the unclipping of a belt what-so-ever. EDIT: And in response to your question about the ride restart.. Im not sure how SE works, but most other intamin rides that I know of require engineering or tech services to come and reset the ride, starting it in Manual operation so that the train/gondola can be moved back to a suitable position to commence operation.

Edited by Lotl_90

I'd guess this one was a case of an operator paying attention during the pre-show and saw a rider take off their belt. It would seem odd to me that it would cause an E-Stop if the ride detected a belt being undone. When we hit the brake run, I undo mine then, to save time when we get to the station, and never had it cause a problem.

SE safety clips are in no way sensor-ed to detect it from coming undone as said above most people i know will undo there belt when they hit the brake pads. Unlike the Batman adventure ride simulators those seat belts as all of us know are sensor detected i have seen the ride stop many a times because smart ass kids decide to undo them and see if they can go through the ride without it kinda like riding a bucking bull attraction. In the case of Superman Escape all operators who work in the monitoring room which is in the top right hand corner of the loading bay have a numerous amount of inside and outside monitors which they can view the ride in operation. It is possible for a operator to see this happen on the monitors but has only happen a few times they travel at a fairly decent pace and most monitors are looking at the back of the train not front on so i would say it was a coincidence that someone had taken there belt off while another minor fault was detected and the ride was then E-stopped. But in saying that it is still possible for it to be seen.

Yeah, seat belts being unbuckled don't cause emergency stops. On one ride I was on a girl in the front car undid her belt as a dare and it hit the metal just as the car launched forwards. She was screaming her lungs out the whole ride thinking she was going to fall out.
^^^^^^^ Say it did, would her friends have confessed to be indirectly resposible? :huh: This was just the case of a ride operator being alert, which is in no way bad. BTW just something off topic this is my 400th post :ph34r: Edited by sonic123488

Hey All, I went on this today and had a look. In the clip in the middle on the restraint there appears to be a button that servers no purpose (as in to lock the belt actually in) you can push the thing in quite easily. This seems to have a section below it that encloses the bottom of the clasp and after that section there may (i was only feeling around with my hand so it could have been anything or nothing) be some shielded "wires" in those plastic wrap things. The "wires" then go in the metal tubing that goes into the back so there is a possible path there for them. I'm just guessing but this could be some sort of button/limit switch to detect the presence of the belt in the clasp. Now i don't believe in any way there is wireless sensors or anything like that but the safety system might double check the restraints before launch where it stops, I'm pretty sure there is some contacts there like in the station. jbrissenden when it stopped on you was it at the launch or literally half way round the dark section? If anyone else is heading there in the short time have a look and see if what i say seems possible. I would love to know what everyone else thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in this topic still. During a run yesterday Maintenance was called from HWSD to asses a system failer on Superman Escape so i got to head over with them to see what had happen it was very interesting. A year 6 student here with his school had decided to undo his seatbelt just in front of the waterflow steps in the dark ride section. This then gave me a chance to ask a few questions as this topic was the first thing that came to my head at the time. Are the seats sensored??? Yes, Back when Superman had its down time earlier this year buckle sensors were installed, This is why most of us said no the trains didnt have sensors as to the fact they weren't originaly installed on the ride and it was a visual detection from on ride staff as explained by DEAP he has hit the nail on the head about the sensor device i had a close look before the train was reversed back into the station the whole device is inside what looks like a pretty dodgy job to keep it all together, but a silver casing holds the device together which is pretty much a button that is pushed down when the seat belt is down up this button is then forced on the a eletrical component, sending through a memory to the rides system so it knows who is on the ride and what seats are being used. When the buckle is undone the eletrical component and button are no longer forced together sending the info from the train to the control room which then the ride recevies a system failer of fault. Then all in que are warned riders are taken off the ride, train reversed, then go through opening procedures (two test runs) and your ride is up and running again. jbrissenden hope that answers your question.

I'm sorry Cadboy no need to be so rude about it but some ride systems i know for a fact and many others will also is that when a ride system such as superman's when the train gets to a central area on the trains path it will reach a detection point, Detection points on superman if this is the case would be the station load and unload, maintenance bay, launch sector, brake sector and the main friction wheel run at the facade station in the dark ride section. When it reaches one of these detection points it uploads the trains current conditions eg the reason maybe for the ride stopping on the long friction run area very often when i buckle is undone. So this could be the case not a wireless system so seeing you seem to all about it how about you fill us in on your knowledge.

so seeing you seem to all about it how about you fill us in on your knowledge.
What? Read what I wrote. I wasn't saying I knew it all actually I was saying the exact opposite.
Excuse my ignorance but how else would it get back to the control panel if it was not wireless?
I thought the only way it could get back to the control system was via a wireless system hence me posting the above comment. The rest of your post is understandable, though we still do not know what system is used you simply gave an alternative to wireless. So how was I being rude?

I would suspect that there is a data track (or equivalent) running along the track within the dark-ride section, and stations and such. As you pull in to the unload station, you can see the contacts which send the unlock signal to the restraints, so I'm sure a similar system exists within the dark tunnels.

Couldn't there be a commutator rail on the section that runs straight along the wall near the maintenance bay, with the walls that fall in, and then another at the catch-car? For the wireless option, it wouldn't be too hard to place an RF transmitter on board the train - they only require a small battery, and the receiver plugged straight into the main systems. When you think about the layout, the only places where Stopping actually can occur is within the stations, or the dark-ride section, and mid-way between these is the control centre. I would find this wireless option unlikely though.