Glenelg ferris wheel starts spinning at last

con

AFTER two-years of delays Glenelg's $1.8 million ferris wheel will be open to the public for the first time this weekend. The 25m high "single-arm" ferris wheel will be officially opened at noon on Saturday. After numerous test rides, The Beachouse wheel at Colley Reserve now has an interrace gate and ramp and is ready to go. Managing director Peter Rimington said he was excited the wheel, ordered from China, would finally be operational. "I get quite excited looking at it ... we are quite proud of the way it looks," Mr Rimington said. "About a year ago we started erecting the wheel and six months ago we started testing it. Now we've just built the ramp so people can get on it." It will cost six credits - $6 - to do one eight and a half minute loop. Mr Rimington said The Beachouse would be open for longer hours during summer - up to 11pm on weekends - giving people a change to ride the wheel during the day or at night. "I can assure everyone the views are just spectacular. He said the wheel would suit punters or all ages. "I went for a ride with my five and seven year-old last week and they had a ball. At the same time my mother and her husband went for a spin and they are 70." The single arm wheel is held up by one giant column, is the first of its kind in Australia and was first predicted to open in late 2006. Planning approval delays, the importation of parts and construction saw its opening delayed several times 0,,6383156,00.jpghttp://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...71-2682,00.html