Corkscrew down for maintenance... during xmas holidays >:(

Theme Park Girl

Ok this is a bit of a vent on my part so bear with me, ok! Just want to get it off my chest and see if anybody else agrees with me on the aspects of it. So yesterday being that myself and my family have been visiting the Gold Coast for a few days (we are ex-residents) we thought that a trip to Seaworld was in order, mainly for the sake of our small 4 year old daughter who enjoyed Dreamworld last year. So we went yesterday. Now my hubby is an extremist when it comes to thrill rides, his favourite rollercoaster was the Thunderbolt and he was very much looking forward to going on the Corkscrew again. Especially being that its the only decent thrill ride SW has. We sat there waiting for the dolphin show to start at around 11am and he got a bad feeling when he realised he hadn't seen the Corkscrew go once during the 15-20 mins we had been seated there. Not long afterwards I chased up an Op employee to confirm if it was running or not... she tells me that it was currently down for maintenance and had been for the last 5 days! I checked the Seaworld website the night before and the only ride listed was, and still is, the Kiddy Train :angry: If you even call that a ride, lol. So it came as great disappointment to hear this, especially when the entrance we came through (barcoded tickets) did not appear to have a notification sign of the rides not operating today - in fact the Corkscrew was not initially scrubbed out on the Rides waiting period signage on the way to the dolphin show. And no, unfortunately the new Jet Rescue ride did not make up for it at all which is somewhat low on the 'thrill' factor... no loops, no giant drops, no nothing... just somewhat tame speeding around a generally flat track. We went on the Motor Coaster at Dreamworld last year and hated it, so this one (especially after seeing it do a couple of laps) failed to build any interest at all. So whats the go Seaworld, with having your best and original genuine thrill ride down for maintenance for days during school holidays, and Christmas week at that! Being an ex-employee of SW I know that this is the busiest week for all theme parks, particularly on Boxing Day. Hubby was really disappointed, as a thrillseeker (winging it out for our small daughter's sake by having to go to the park with lesser thrill options) and also having somebody in our visiting party who had never been on a rollercoaster before - he was looking forward to taking him on the Corkscrew for his "first time". Surely it would be top priority to get the Corkscrew up and running as soon as possible during this time of year... not leave it out of operation for almost a whole week? Unless of course the information I was given by the op was incorrect and it was only for that day. Seemed a bit coincidental though I have to admit, that it happened to be unavailable during the opening of the new one <_< Anyway thats my whinge, otherwise the visit to the park was great, though having to pay to enter the now "resort" water park in future really blows. How long I wonder until they jack the price up on that too :/

Edited by OceanGirl

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know any details so please don't take this as official word from the park... however, Corkscrew's downtime is not scheduled. Meaning it is not part of a planned maintenance. Every attraction goes through rigorous daily checks and even more comprehensive weekly, monthly and annual ones also. If every anything is found in these checks that is not 100% perfect the ride doesn't open, it's as simple as that. Safety is the number 1 priority. As with all complex pieces of mechanical equipment things break unexpectedly. Obviously something must be wrong with the ride, and they would be working to have it open as quickly as possible. Just curious, did you actually ride Jet Rescue? On the thrill meter Corkscrew is pretty tame, I don't think most people would be disappointed with Jet Rescue. Inversions aren't everything.

Oh fun... I'm heading down tomorrow with a mate from overseas. I can expect the crowds to be really quite nasty tomorrow. I can tell you now that Dreamworld was flat out yesterday, the line for the rapids had overflowed and was heading up the footpath to the Drop yesterday. Having the log ride down for 45 minutes didn't help either I suppose.

Yeah I wanted to ride it too. Did end up @Bermuda Triangle (which seemed to lack that massive fire effect -- what's with that?) and Pirate Ship though. The queues actually moved quite fast. PS walk-on of course, 30 minutes for BT and JR you got on within 3-4 cycles - more as a single-rider. The Plunge also had a really short queue, basically the last bit of stair before the loading platform. But it would have been good to do the Corkscrew with JR going alongside. :( Anyone know what the reason for the maintenance is? Replacing it with a flyer? ;)

Bermuda's Fire effects have not been running for quite some time according to DJRappa. He said there was a reason for it but he was not able to disclose it. It would be nice to find out why it has been turned off as it's really not complete without it. It was the best climax to a ride anywhere in Australia IMO.

Just curious, did you actually ride Jet Rescue? On the thrill meter Corkscrew is pretty tame, I don't think most people would be disappointed with Jet Rescue. Inversions aren't everything.
Nah we didn't end up doing so Rappa, was a 40 min wait around the time we checked it out and after seeing it in action a couple of times it didn't appear to be much different from the DW's Motor Coaster (which was very disappointing) so we decided to give it a miss. To be honest we hadn't really planned to anyway, after hearing that SW was getting the same type of coaster, its just not a design that holds hubby's interest. But thanks for the insight though in regards to the Corkscrew. I understand its pretty tame but there isn't really any other rides at SW in comparison to the thrill meter of that one if you know what I mean!
Anyone know what the reason for the maintenance is? Replacing it with a flyer? ;)
Gee I hope not, first the Thunderbolt and to think it could be the Corkscrew next to go LOL! Then again in my opinion, the neck-wrecking TB was not a huge loss... even if it was the first coaster I ever rode.
Bermuda's Fire effects have not been running for quite some time according to DJRappa. He said there was a reason for it but he was not able to disclose it. It would be nice to find out why it has been turned off as it's really not complete without it. It was the best climax to a ride anywhere in Australia IMO.
We noticed this yesterday too, red neon lights inside the neck of the volcano instead of the flamethrowers? I thought the reason to be maybe because the silicon (or whatever the volcano was made out of) may have been gradually melting over time or something? Either that or obviously there was some kind of health/safety issue involved with the flames/heat. Also I think there used to be a waterfall at the start of the ride (after the first boat plunge) which turned off just before you went under, unless I am thinking of another one? I know the Looney Tunes ride has that, but I swear the BT used to as well. It is still an enjoyable ride regardless, even after riding it numerous times in the past. I do remember the ol' BT being the ride to break down most frequently when I worked there a few years ago lol. All those electronics inside. Edited by OceanGirl

Nah we didn't end up doing so Rappa, was a 40 min wait around the time we checked it out and after seeing it in action a couple of times it didn't appear to be much different from the DW's Motor Coaster (which was very disappointing) so we decided to give it a miss. To be honest we hadn't really planned to anyway, after hearing that SW was getting the same type of coaster, its just not a design that holds hubby's interest.
And this is the biggest problem with the choice of coaster - I know that Menzies said they had planned JR long before MDMC was announced, but when they saw it, they should have tried to go with something different - MDMC began construction ages ago - you can't tell me fabrication had already started on JR when they found out about MDMC, it doesn't take that long. Ok - I haven't ridden JR yet, but at the end of the day, the public's opinion of that style of coaster will forever be tainted by their first experience with MDMC, and for this reason alone, is why Sea World should not have gone with this option. No-one will think the wait is worth it if they have already ridden MDMC. It will take a lot of effort, and time, to change public opinion.

Well the wait is really short, even yesterday with both carparks full, and people are silly to judge the ride just because dreamworld also has a ride that kind of looks like it. Really the fact you sit up to ride and it involves a launch and tyres is all they have in common. You missed out Ocean, because the ride is amazingly thrilling, I think it could almost go as a thrill ride. It is VERY fast.

Bah, yeah people really need to give stuff a go.....You missed out on arguably the best ride in the park now. It's completely different to motocoaster because the banking of the turns is much higher, and the transitions between the turns are really quick, so you are constantly being flung from side to side, going around turns on your side, inches from rocks. On motocoaster it tends to slow down toward the end, so the end of the ride is sort of meandering, this on the other hand keeps the speed all the way through. In my experience parks tend to overstate queue times, or forget to change signs (At WnW recently there was a sign stating 50 minutes for Kamikaze, even though the queue area was only half full :huh: ) so I doubt it would have been a full 40 minutes.

Corkscrew was down when I went on the 22nd, I assumed it was just so they could prepare for Jet Rescue

I actually sent feedback to Sea World about this and this was the response i received.
Unfortunately the fire in the Bermuda triangle has been removed due to the fact it was sending harmful gasses into the atmosphere. As Sea World is an environmentally park we have had to find a new way to keep the themeing of the ride. I would like to thank you for your feedback and I have passed on your comments to our park manager.

Unfortunately the fire in the Bermuda triangle has been removed due to the fact it was sending harmful gasses into the atmosphere
Quite a funny response when you consider that the same company had no problem sending over 18,000 balls of fire and black smoke into the atmosphere over the last few years at their other property hey :P

I can tell you now that Dreamworld was flat out yesterday, the line for the rapids had overflowed and was heading up the footpath to the Drop yesterday. Having the log ride down for 45 minutes didn't help either I suppose.
Flat out Dan? Wait until you have a 10,000 day ahaha. That wasnt even 6000. To be fair, Rapids was pumping through, their rider count was over 4500 by 4:30pm with an hour of operation left, so Its not like they werent trying. And log ride was doing bloody well to only be down for 45 mins considering the issues they have had with it the last few days. To stay on topic though, Im sure Seaworld are doing their best to get whatever the issue is with corkscrew fixed, im sure they dont want their one of their biggest attractions down this time of year either. Not much fun.

It's completely different to motocoaster because the banking of the turns is much higher, and the transitions between the turns are really quick, so you are constantly being flung from side to side, going around turns on your side, inches from rocks. On motocoaster it tends to slow down toward the end, so the end of the ride is sort of meandering, this on the other hand keeps the speed all the way through.
Whilst I appreciate your description, I think you're missing my point though, Gazza. My husband loves stuff that has loops and big drops and major twists etc. to go with fast speeds, not just the fast speed concept alone. Thats why he didn't like MDMC, because he thought it was a boring track. Almost like a kiddy coaster. I guess my argument is that JR is not a bad ride (or at least I'm not trying to say it is, since we didnt go on it lol), its that its not catering for a particular type of thrillseeker that the Corkscrew attracts. They compliment each other together but without the older one, its just not the same satisfaction with the JR alone. I understand I cannot make an opinion on the Jet Rescue based on first hand experience, the fact its the same style/design of coaster as the MDMC was already setting hubby up for disappointment iykwim. He would rather wait in line for a 20 sec (or so) ride that throws everything it can at you before it finishes. The Corkscrew is the closest thing to something like this at SW :) And yet it has been closed for like a week for reasons we don't know. Edited by OceanGirl

Bear in mind though that there was a really small area for JR's footprint. I would also prefer something that is intense from start to finish even if it is on the short side -- to a ride that goes too long and muddles its way through its second half. JR's quick cycle times allows you to hop right back in line for another go. You say he likes quick major twists, well, if he was to go on he would find that with the speed of the turning and sudden changes in direction. I have had the benefit of going on a variety of coasters in the US - in Southern California, the Midwest (eg Cedar Point), upper NY state, Pennsylvania, Canada and Orlando. Every time, coming back to our lineup has met with mixed feelings. But I was able to be genuinely thrilled on this ride, even if that didn't last for very long. I think it's something that overseas guests will be pretty impressed with in terms of intensity/proximity to ground/well above average realisation of the theme. In my mind, it joins Superman and Scooby as something quite special. They wanted to keep it accessible for families yet still provide a great ride experience. They've achieved that. And when the vegetation develops and hopefully we see theming further improved (station, queue area etc), it'll be even better. I saw several Sea World employees queuing up to ride & it was telling what one said to another: 'This ride makes us much happier about working at the park.' Well done, Sea World!! :)

Edited by Gold Coaster

Don't stop there Nev, the show may not be finished but anytime it's not running and they are working on getting the effects finished many a big ole black cloud of crap can be seen rising from the area. I recon this one has got to be twice the size of the PA one. That's certainly an interesting and creative answer from the park.

You say he likes quick major twists, well, if he was to go on he would find that with the speed of the turning and sudden changes in direction.
Sorry I meant 'major twists' as in corkcrews ie. 360 degree turnarounds ;) Should have clarified that a bit better. Nonetheless I agree that Seaworld deserves the praise for a job well done, as obviously their new ride is making a lot of their visitors very happy! And I am sure it appeals to many thrillseekers in a satisfying way too. I hope that next time we go there the lines aren't as long for it, so that we can spare the time to give it a go. But then again it will probably be the case anyway since it won't be 2 days after the ride's opening lol.
That lighting looks pretty tacky IMHO. They could have gone with something much better.
Yeah I agree, I reckon even without the neon light it would have looked better than what it does now. A cheaper replacement, obviously!

Sorry I meant 'major twists' as in corkcrews ie. 360 degree turnarounds ;) Should have clarified that a bit better.
That's ok. Well, you're not going to find many of those in Australia unfortunately. And as I said, it was a small area to work with. I really don't think either of you'd find it boring.
I hope that next time we go there the lines aren't as long for it, so that we can spare the time to give it a go. But then again it will probably be the case anyway since it won't be 2 days after the ride's opening lol.
Hopefully the 2 train operation will remain in place but while the lines may look long, you don't have a major wait. Even with one train I can't see it being a problem most of the time... I fit 20 rides in despite getting to the park late and fit in lunch and a ride on Bermuda Triangle (and the Pirate Ship as well but then, that's always a walk on). 6 in the morning, 14 in the afternoon then left the park early. If that's two days after opening and in peak season, I can't see wait times becoming an issue really.
Yeah I agree, I reckon even without the neon light it would have looked better than what it does now. A cheaper replacement, obviously!
It doesn't even look like fire. Would a projection have cost THAT much? Surely it'd be worth the investment to maintain the quality level of such a premier ride for the park. Edited by Gold Coaster