Corkscrew down for maintenance... during xmas holidays >:(

Theme Park Girl

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ok. Well, you're not going to find many of those in Australia unfortunately.
Not that uncommon. The Lethal Weapon has two 360 degree twists snd the Cyclone has a sindwinder one. So thats 3/4 ride parks on the Gold Coast alone that have rollercoasters with extreme twists ;)
What is the new effect in place of the fire actually like, by comparison? It's been a while since I've been on the Bermuda Triangle.
Its just a squiggly thin & average red neon light added to the roof of the volcano above the exit drop. That's it. Can't even compare the two, really. Edited by OceanGirl

Well since we are on the topic of ride closures during holidays I'll share my experience with a bit of a trip report tied in. I went to Wet'n'Wild on the 27th of December. Yes, yes I know that is the worst time to visit but it was our only option. We headed out nice and early and got to walk straight in with our prepaid tickets. We got a locker then headed over to Surfrider as I knew of the terrible down time it regularly suffered on a daily basis and wanted to get on before it closed. Anyway the line was short as we were one of the first in the park so we soon got on. No hassles, the ride was fantastic. The seats were spinning which was great however the fountains were off. Is this permanent? Luckily we got on first thing because after a while it shut again for a long time. Disparately trying to get on again we went on other rides while seeing test numerous times. After awhile I saw people going on again so we joined the line. We got to the very front and were let through the gates, the the attendants called us back behind the gate and the ride shut again. Before hand while in the line it had been do a cycle with people then one without. By the time it opened again it was late afternoon the queue was so long it was right out side and all the way back to the fence at the end of the footpath that runs along side the ride towards Mammoth Falls. Both the out side Jetsreams were also closed. I asked the guy at the bottom of the slide and he said something to the effect of they were shut because they were to flimsy. He was probably joking however I did see some rust on the rides at Mach 5 has anyone else? though it is to be expected since they are second hand. As if that wasn't enough both terror Canyon 1 and Terror Canyon 2 were closed all day. On the website it says for refurbishment but why would they be doing it on one of the busiest days in the year. The site also said the Jet Streams were closed for refurbishment but, what is there to refurbish? All in all I had an good day, lines were very big but I was expecting this, however they still make the day less enjoyable. Food was nice IMO though I only had a few chips and drink. Rides were great but they were very short and sort of make the wait unreasonable. Kamikaze was good but nothing special, just to short and really bumpy lol. Surf Rider was my favorite closely followed by Tornado and the middle Jetstream. I was disappointed by the many ride closures on such a crowed day especially Terror canyons as they were my favorite on my last visit. I fail to see why everyone complains about the River rapids. I rode on the one closest to the queue line it was by no means thrilling but it was fun and of decent speed. Cheers, :)

Edited by cadboy

I was at WnW last friday, the park was packed, but by 4pm (when I arrived, my sister was there all day) most of the waits weren't too bad. You do have to be very smart at our parks to avoid the ques though... The one I couldn't believe is that people were waiting all that time for the one remaining Jet stream, that slide is not worth an hour wait. There is nothing 'flimsy' about Mach 5, I can't believe a staff member would say that. The tower has surface rust, but pretty much and slide in any park will have that in places. So don't be worried about that. As for Terror Canyon, it's been taken off the wait times board, all signage removed and the que rails fenced off. I wouldn't expect to see that ride back EVER, but I have no clue why.

The one I couldn't believe is that people were waiting all that time for the one remaining Jet stream, that slide is not worth an hour wait. There is nothing 'flimsy' about Mach 5, I can't believe a staff member would say that. The tower has surface rust, but pretty much and slide in any park will have that in places. So don't be worried about that.
We'll he did say something to that effect, I wasn't worried at all but for someone unsure about the safety of the rides then that wouldn't be very reassuring.
As for Terror Canyon, it's been taken off the wait times board, all signage removed and the que rails fenced off. I wouldn't expect to see that ride back EVER, but I have no clue why.
Well that is just to bad, they are great rides. Anyhow they will obviously be replaced with something else from Proslide. Two new rides this year couldn't hurt.

Terror Canyon is always its been down so much for a couple of years now. I havn't been on it in ages in fact years because everytime I went it was closed. But still it would have been nice to have it open for the busiest crowds of the year. I went to the park last Monday. I was disppointed about the two jetstreams closed that would have made the line move a lot quicker. I'll the lifeguards their due though they made the line move fast, they got people on and down as fast as they could, cant say the same for ride operator's at DW. Surfrider was closed in the morning but they had mechanics on it and by around midday it was running, once again staff moved quickly to move the lines. But there was no water, it was disppointing becasue I took my friend and it was their first ride on it and told them how good it was with water. When I asked staff she said it was becuase elctricity and water dont mix. Still a great ride though I will say the sidewinder their was a real grumpy lifeguard on it, he was yelling at everyone, even people who were doing the right thing, buit confused about it a bit he would go off at them. You could hear him still yelling at the top of the jetsream when he was below on sidewinder.

• 2 months later...

My guess is a rust-proofing coat, or a non-conductive coat to prevent electrical conductivity. I am sure it will get painted over again - otherwise they're going down the path of dreamworld with bright gaudy colours where it is really inappropriate - like wiggles world and mick doohan.

I don't really see how bright colors are inappropriate for Wiggles World. I can understand about Motocoaster however. The Wiggles are after all a children's group, and the area is targeted at children. The Wiggles were always bright and bubbly as such, so I feel that the colors are justified however it is all faded now.

Mickey as of yesterday a good part of the ride was indeed orange!
Ep... Was it orange or more of a brown with a tinge of orange? I thought the white corkscrew was an icon of the GC, looking at advertisements for entertainment for families the corkscrew is in a majority of them. Good to see the corkscrew getting a major overhaul however.