Dreamworlds Direction

i just want to add that my sources have told me that it is quite possible that the laser skirmish attraction will be going to the rides department, not the games deparment and hence will not incur a fee to use. Even though it is only in the early construction stages, the area is coming along rather quickly with a lot of ground work already done.

Even if the laser tag ends up being included with admission I am still totally against it. In my opinion it can only be considered a sideshow similar to a gaming arcade area... and certainly not a main or drawcard attraction
In all honesty, If it is included in admission, I say go for it. Its at least a step in the right direction (i.e away from upcharge attractions). T-Bone, the Chalk Zone area is the vast concrete area up behind Blues Skidoo and the Mighty go Round. Right at the very top of Nick Central. Edited by Lotl_90

Now this might be reaching, but most the rides in Nick Central are going into maintenance over the next month or so, perhaps they are adjusting them so that their lines and exits and stuff exit away from the possible location (Chalk Zone are) so that when construction starts the rides dont have to close, they just have to close the section of paths. There only going down for a couple of days each (For painting and restoration) but I think this would fit into their timeline pretty well. Sound far fetched? Also, I agree that the ride could easily be themed to Jimmy Neutron.

Edited by DonjaiInLA

• 3 weeks later...

The Laser attraction entrance will be the old Vortex building. The attraction itself will be placed in 'the dream room' structure from the old blue lagoon site (the same structure that held "the Mummy". It has been relocated to behind the Vortex building. There will be no charge for the attraction - it will be included in the entry price and may be themed by Sudden Impact Entertainment. As for the Vortex I believe you will see it reincarnated into another section of the park - completely re-themed.

No charge i like that, i dislike the fact this is going to create huge ques and won't have a very high hourly capacity. I wouldn't touch it in summer. That is just my opinion.
That is where an attraction reservation system such as the fastpass system used at Disney would suit this style of attraction. But who knows, for all we know it could be a walkthrough like Draculas in Surfers with targets to shoot, which would probably help capacity wise. Just on Dreamworlds direction, I saw in the Half yearly results for MLT that the strategy for Dreamworld/ WWW is to make the area a night time entertainment precinct. I'd link it, but it's a bit hard to copy and paste on an iPhone. Just google MLT and you'll find the half yearly report and then a link to the presentation. But just on the allnight entertainment precinct, I wonder what that means? Get speculating!

I don't need to speculate - what did they say when they announced V8 redline was going in ocean parade? they said they were putting it in the same place as all the other standalones so that it was easy to open "a section" of the park at night for functions etc. Add in the laser tag, consider a bowling alley.... expand your on-license liquor abilities, and you're suddenly in a position to offer nighttime entertainment to compete with AOS... No speculation required paul, they've been talking that way for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
So now it seems that we have a name for the new Laser Skirmish attraction. And on the website it states that it is "Included in the Entry Price"
Also, the fact that it is named after AVP, might be putting more truth in the rumours about sudden impact being involved. Their involvement, and the fact that its a laser attraction could be an interesting combination, even if they are only creating/installing the theming. Personally i'm looking forward to it. From what ive heard, we can at least expect a decent length attraction, being around the 10-15 minute mark. Edited by Lotl_90

It Does seem interesting. I for one am looking forward to it, and with the attractions name "Alien vs Predator vs You leads me to believe that it won't be a a standard laser skirmish, here's hoping it's something like a Proper walkthrough attraction with the Guns added to shoot certain targets. Anyway, it seems promising, even if it's in a totally wrong position themeing wise, i'm sure if the attraction is half decent (which I am sure it will be) all will be forgiven.

When this was first brought up I wrote it off as being a waste of time... With Sudden Impact involved, then I think my expectations just shot up! :D Here's hoping for a great attraction. Also, with the Vortex gone and all, this is going to be 'permanent' right?

It's still heading in the wrong direction if they think this is a decent addition instead of a new ride. However I was thinking about it and it seems Dreamworld have a policy of adding a new ride once every 3 years with filler (cheaper) attractions added in the years in between. It is possible then that this is a filler attraction with a new ride potentially being introduced in 2010, considering that Motocoaster was added in 2007. If this is the case and Dreamworld adds a new ride in 2010 AND it's of a higher standard than Motocoaster (and preferably not another sports/racing related addition) then from my point of view that would be far more acceptable. Although 3 years between every new ride does seem a bit long... particularly when the last new ride was the disappointing Motocoaster

Vortex is currently in "Long Term Storage" It's future however is uncertain. It may end up being sold to a traveling showmen or possibly re-themed or relocated within the park. I don't really see many showmen wanting that particular unit as it is very old and does not run anywhere near the speed a Gravitron should be running.