Dreamworlds Direction

This is what dreamworld has to say about The Mine Ride: The closure of these attractions basically came down to new ride technology, upgraded safety regulations and responding to what the public wanted. Like the old Thunderbolt Rollercoaster, the mine ride served us well for 25 years and was “retired...” to make way for newer computerised attractions like The Claw, The Motorcoaster and AVPX. In Summary - rides have a life span - like a car - it comes to a time when you need to spend a lot of $$ to fix it up so when it is no longer a very popular attraction sometimes it is better to invest in something newer...... deff different

A few points: -"what the public wanted"...What? Were people sending letters and emails to DW telling them they wanted the ride closed? -"make way for newer computerised attractions like the claw"...But the mine ride and the Claw operated concurrently for a period. And its not 'making way' at all because the ride wasn't in the way of anything. If they had decided to close the ride and then immediatley replace it with something on the same site then I'm sure nobody would've cared. -"when it is no longer a very popular attraction"...Dunno about anyone else, but it always seemed popular when it was there. I think the lifespan argument isn't the strongest one either...SW has managed to keep it's classic roller coaster going with its recent upgrade. And lets not forget stuff like the Matterhorn boblseds at Disneyland still run well to this day.

Dream worlds rides could use some upgrades. There are a lot of vintage "artifacts" there. lol, I see there is a fake jail where I had family pictures taken YEARS ago, like 15 years ago at least. I like how many older attractions remain, my favourite is the ferry. What a great nice gentle ride. Very cool -Spencer

I regards to Eureka... didn't they already update the control systems sometime throughout it's life? I remember a time when all of the control panels were replaced...
I'd say no more than three or four years before it closed the ride received a fairly major overhaul that saw the ride's systems more or less completely automated. You have to wonder what an upgrade like that sets you back and how many years they expected it to increase the ride's lifespan to get the budget for that sort of upgrade...

It really depends. Insurance companies will write a car off if it is more than a certain number of years old and the repair cost is more than 1/3 of the value. If it needs track modifications, the walls need to be ripped out \ resealed due to the nature of the material used.... you might as well throw it out and start again because the entire mountain would need to be re-done. Of course they could always rip out the mountain and leave the track in place - although the ride experience wouldn't be anywhere near the same...

that doesn't have a sports theme - you have to tie it in with sports - like motocoaster, b8 supercars etc etc..., and is a pretty sensitive topic that many people would rather left alone, rather than a theme park trying to capitalise on it - it would be different if the park were in tasmania - but no, i don't think that would be a very good idea...

• 1 month later...

Warning: The following is a major rant about Dreamworld and Ardent that I needed to get out of my system. Yes I know it is long but I felt the need to vent. So, here goes... It is interesting to note the success of the Village Roadshow parks over the past 6 months compared to the results Ardent/Dreamworld have announced. The Village parks are continuing to report record revenue and attendance while Dreamworld continues to suffer from large revenue declines and a drop in attendance. Even in the month of January DW revenue continued to fall, down 10% while Village has reported another record month and well up on the previous corresponding period. As a shareholder of Ardent Leisure this is obviously really disappointing. The management of Ardent has always been very successful in the past but it appears lately they have really lost their way. Village discounting has obviously hurt them big time. While Ardent has always said they won't reduce prices to compete it now appears they are being forced to do so. And yet their sale campaigns don't appear to be nearly as well though-out or effective as the Village campaigns. They just slap a banner on their website with a link to a discounted world pass with obscure purchase and use-by dates while Village puts together things like the Endless Summer Campaign and Queensland VIP etc. However I do not believe it is just the price discounts that are hurting Dreamworld. I think the fact that the Motocoaster was a very sub-standard ride has meant they did not get much mileage out of it after the first year. If the ride had actually been fun you would have found the attendance boost would have continued somewhat. The Motocoaster is simply not a good enough ride to bring people back (the Vekoma version may have been much more successful with a longer track and a better ride experience including bunny hops etc). So that was essentially a waste of 3 years. In addition I believe the decision to create 'Adrenalin Alley' has not been a success. Management touted the potential for additional revenue from private functions and after dark events using this area. This does not appear to have eventuated as evidenced by the significant revenue declines recently and we know that these 'filler' attractions certainly haven't added to attendance increases. I think DW need to get their marketing sorted to better compete with the Village discounting in a more effective manner. I then think they need to focus on bringing back the true theme park experience and forget about this failed attempt to generate more revenue from filler attractions such as 'Adrenalin Alley'. They need to let go of the idea of only introducing attractions that are cutting edge or never-seen-before in Australia. Look how this backfired with their attempt to be the first park to have an Aqua Loop. What they do need to do is install some major signature rides that are just plain fun and have a large impact (similar to TOT, Giant Drop) and will have an ongoing positive impact on attendance. A single new waterslide and a major ride refurb are both welcome but are minor in the scheme of things and a lot more needs to be done

Edited by GoGoBoy

But you have to realise you need MONEY to do those things - which is something that is not there. A new coaster would be a lot 5-10 million and then phase 2 in the water park is $20 million. As a shareholder of Ardent leisure - not as a coaster enthusiast go go boy - do you want to see returns instantly or over 5 years. Bowling, gyms etc give YOU A SHAREHOLDER a quicker return than a new coaster which would take time. It's all about money mate. Yes they are struggling - motocoaster is sub par - Adrenalin Alley - fail, but AVPX and Flowrider are great attractions and V8 sells out constantly during the day. I do agree that they need a big new coaster something that is reliable - a B&M Floorless or suspended. It takes time

As a shareholder of Ardent leisure - not as a coaster enthusiast go go boy - do you want to see returns instantly or over 5 years. Bowling, gyms etc give YOU A SHAREHOLDER a quicker return than a new coaster which would take time. It's all about money mate.
I agree to some extent. But I have also been disappointed with their roll-out of new Goodlife gyms too. I was hoping they'd have enough centres by now to start really competing with Fitness First. But they don't. They are opening far less new centres than I was hoping for. As an example a friend of mine recently moved to Sydney from Adelaide. He was a member of Goodlife in Adelaide and was hoping to join the Goodlife gym in the city in Martin Place. He went to see them and they said they had no way of looking up his membership in Adelaide. So he decided to leave Goodlife and join Fitness First, along with virtually every other person I know, because they have gyms everywhere. So that's an example of where they are falling down in the gym business too. Coming back to Dreamworld the reason I want to see them spend big money on a new coaster is because I am looking at a longer term view. I know they are expensive but I want to see a new addition that will increase attendance in a big way not just now but over the next few years. Dreamworld is Ardent's biggest asset from a revenue point of view and they need to do something major to stop the revenue declines that have been occurring

But you have to realise you need MONEY to do those things - which is something that is not there.
Why? Despite some recent poorer performance, Ardent/Macquaire have generally been a successful company...With their track record, why cant they organise finance to invest in a new major attraction.
Coming back to Dreamworld the reason I want to see them spend big money on a new coaster is because I am looking at a longer term view. I know they are expensive but I want to see a new addition that will increase attendance in a big way not just now but over the next few years.
This is the important point. Imagine if DW didn't have TOT and GD....Would as many people be visiting the park as they today? Yeah, you can get some quick returns (supposedly lol) from upcharges etc, but it's the major rides that keep the place going.

You really can't run a Theme Park like any other business and expect to make reasonable capital expansions every several years or so. You have to make excessive capital expansions every 2 to 3 years to stay competitive. Look at Cedar Point spending tens of millions every other year. Now our parks are no Cedar Point in terms of income but Dreamworld have to get serious. They are becoming the Wonderland of the gold coast. They really need to be looking at a minimum 16 million dollar attraction next financial year or they are becoming a bit of a joke. If you can't pull that kind of funding, then you have no place running and managing a theme park in this day and age. The public expects more. Attendance speaks for itself. With Universal Singapore on the verge of opening it's time for the Gold Coast parks to step up, otherwise anyone who isn't in either SW Qld or Sydney will really have to consider their options.

Edited by djrappa

Does anyone really think Ardent Leisure Group is ever going to spend any serious money on dreamworld when you look at their history? 1974 Founder John Longhurst purchases the 85 hectare Dreamworld site at Coomera to build a family theme park. 1981 Dreamworld officially opened by the Premier of Queensland Sir Joh Bjekle-Petersen. 1983 Blue Lagoon water park opened. 1984 Dreamworld commenced seven day trading. 1987 Park mascot Kenny Koala judged Australia ’s most ‘Outstanding Character’. 1993 The Wipeout opens. 1995 Tiger Island opens. 1997 Tower of Terror opens. 1998 Giant Drop opens.First litter of Bengal tiger cubs dubbed the ‘Awesome Pawesome’ born at Tiger Island. 1999 ASX listed Macquarie Leisure Trust acquires Dreamworld. 2001 Cyclone Rollercoaster opens.Bengal Tiger Kato arrives at Tiger Island.Koala Country expanded and redeveloped into one of the largest native wildlife parks in South East Queensland reopened as the Australian Wildlife Experience.First Big Brother series produced live from Dreamworld. 2002 Nick Central kids zone opens.Dreamworld comes of age and turns 21!Second Big Brother Series produced live from Dreamworld. 2003 Third Big Brother Series produced live from Dreamworld.Sunset Safaris commenced. 2004 All new knee knocking thrill ride, The Claw, opens.Fourth series of Big Brother held at Dreamworld. 2005 The first ever Wiggles World opens Fifth Big Brother Series produced live from Dreamworld. 2006 Australia’s first and only permanent wave, FlowRider opens. Sixth Big Brother Series produced live from Dreamworld. WhiteWater World, a brand new water ride park, opens next to Dreamworld. Dreamworld celebrates its 25th Birthday. 2007 First litter of Sumatran tiger cubs born at Tiger Island. Seventh Big Brother Series produced live from Dreamworld.Adopt an Animal Program launches at Dreamworld Two world-class event venues open - The Dream Room at Dreamworld and The Shell at WhiteWater World.Australia’s first motobike rollercoaster Mick Doohan's Motocoaster opens. 2008 Eighth and final Big Brother Series produced live from Dreamworld.“Frankie” the world’s only blue-eyed koala on display born at Dreamworld’s AWE.Second litter of Sumatran tiger cubs, Shanti, Jaya and Ndari, born at Tiger Island and join adopted sister, Sali.Nick Central welcomes new SpongeBob Flypants ride.Dreamworld opens V8 Supercars RedLine, Australia’s first V8 Supercars simulator ride. 2009 Dreamworld opens AVPX, the combat laser arena themed to reflect the cult movie, Alien Vs Predator. Cylcone cost 6mil MDMC cost 10mil The Claw cost 6mil Nick World Cost 7mil I reckon you only have to look at the history to look at the direction Dreamworld is going.

I love these 'official' park history things, it really serves to show just how annoying marketing talk has become:

1993 The Wipeout opens. 1995 Tiger Island opens. 1997 Tower of Terror opens. 2004 All new knee knocking thrill ride, The Claw, opens. 2006 Australia’s first and only permanent wave, FlowRider opens. 2009 Dreamworld opens AVPX, the combat laser arena themed to reflect the cult movie, Alien Vs Predator.

Does anyone really think Ardent Leisure Group is ever going to spend any serious money on dreamworld when you look at their history?
This whole downward spiral has really irritated me over the last 10 years. It just breaks my heart to see how this once great Australian theme park icon has turned into this dump. This is just my opinion and why I think that Dreamworld will probably not be around in 10 years time. While Ardent/Macquarie continue to own Dreamworld, don't expect any major capital injections for things like coasters or expansion. They're shackled by their ownership structure and have to pay rent to their trust every year no matter how they perform. This probably precludes them from investing large amounts of money. There just doesn't seem to be a proper master plan in place, other than WWW's next phase. The place will likely continue in its current direction. A new owner (not a listed unit trust that it has to pay rent to) needs to take over. Anyway, I'm not sure about the zoning situation and whether the council will alter it, but as I understand it Dreamworld has a lot of undeveloped land that is just waiting to be developed. As a previous poster mentioned, the place will probably turn into another Wonderland. That is, it'll likely shut down and land sold off for a residential/resort development and/or an extension of the Sanctuary/Hope Island golf resort complex. The land is just too valuable not to go in this direction. What a great return for unit-holders that'll be! The writing is on the wall for this place. Anyone who doesn't see this happening in the future is a lot more optimistic than I am. As I see it the theme park will probably close down but WWW will remain. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong but this just seems the direction they're going.