Dreamworlds Direction

Just had word that Dreamworld is putting in a new laser attraction where the remains of the Thunderbolt station is located, next to the Vortex. I suspect this will be another upcharge attraction to go in ocean parade that Dreamworld will open at night alongside the v8 and flow rider attractions.

Sorry to double post but the entry to the new tag laser attraction is going to be between the vortex and the arcade with the ramp next to the vortex removed. This new attraction is not next to Thunderbolt Station as I said before; anyway picture shows what I am talking about. post-1321-1231731947_thumb.jpg

Edited by skeetafly

This will probably be similar to an M9 laser skirmish which some of the Macquarie Leisure owned AMF Bowling Centres have. It certainly sounds like it will be another upcharge attraction and nothing exciting that's for sure. What are Dreamworld doing? Trying to convert the place from a theme park into a bowling/family entertainment centre? No thanks!

Edited by GoGoBoy

Another up charge, come on Dreamworld what are you thinking? I hope they have something in store for us this year because if that is all they can give the public then they are just asking for a drop in attendance. Seriously a majority of the public visit Dreamworld for the rides which is something they have failed to deliver in recent years.

trying to convert the place from a theme park into a bowling/family entertainment centre? No thanks!
Isn't Dreamworld already a family entertainment center or any theme park for that matter?

Isn't Dreamworld already a family entertainment center or any theme park for that matter?
The term 'family entertainment centre' usually relates to a facility (often indoors) with various 'attractions' such as video games, bowling, laser skirmish etc. Usually they don't have any major rides just a series of pay-as-you-go features. Think of the Main Event centres Maquarie Leisure owns in America

"I hope they have something in store for us this year because if that is all they can give the public then they are just asking for a drop in attendance."
I think regrettably that is the only thing that will see MLT invest in decent new attractions. To be honest I am surprised how well attendance has held up. I would have thought people would be more willing to vote with their feet!

Laser Skirmish costs are fairly minimal. You need to build an indoor maze (and we all know how much the "maze" cost to build in various theme park simulations). Fit it out with UV lighting and fluro paint jobs, add a little smoke (that'll get cut after the opening week), and buy your guns and sensors. A mate of mine actually owns a laser skirmish centre. If you're pretty good with wiring and electronics, the initial outlay on computer equipment is really all you need. Hell - there are some that still run their entire system on an old 486SX computer - with serial port connections to the various powerports \ bases \ bombs etc. Depending on the number of guns and receiving sensors (usually vests) the whole cost to startup is quite minimal. Maybe if they get Army Reserve or something to sponsor, like they got V8 Supercars and Bigpond, they won't have to pay anything for this one either!

And I could just about see that happening particularly since you say it isn't that much cost. When I was at Six Flags Great Adventure in August for the second day visit, they had the Army or Marines there (forget which it was, think it was the Marines) doing a big recruitment drive under the guise of physical challenges like doing as many chin-ups as possible. Maybe that'll be the next leaf out of Six Flags' book! Though perhaps the whole Defence Force aspect is a bit TOO real life even for "Dream"world.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people still attend Dreamworld simply for the number of attractions. Even though they'd spend half their day in queue lines, they still feel that Dreamworld has enough attractions to keep them busy for the whole day. Laser tag would be really cheap. You can pick up a kids 2 vest 2 gun pack from department stores for around $50, so getting, probably 10 in at a time (this is Dreamworld), shouldn't cost them too much at all. Although, let me just say, if they do this, I'd like to see them do it properly - with 2 levels, and good places you can sniper the opposing team from above.

For a proper Lasertag system from Laserforce is around 24,000 USD and this is what it includes: * Laserforce Zap Tag game software * 10 Gen 5 Laserforce battlesuits * 2 wireless network controllers * Battery recharger system * Spare phaser * Spare parts pack * Laserforce tool kit * Player briefing DVD * 2,500 score sheets * Operating manuals * 12 months full cover warranty * 7 days help service - supported from Detroit, Michigan And each extra battlesuit / phaser set is $1,650 USD. And that is before you have all the optional extras which range from 500 USD through to 10,000 USD. Somewhere like dreamworld would need at least 30 or so Battlesuits to handle the crowds. Lets take the Laserforce at Woolloongabba for example... they have 50 Battlesuits, as well as warbots and other extras. The pricetag really does rack up quickly. It's 66,000 dollars just for 40 battlesuits. And then add another 10,000 for the Robot's etc and software and the arena. It could easily cost upwards of 1 million dollars if it was done decently. Also it doesn't have to be an upcharge attraction when you do think about it. It could just be something that you have to book like Flowrider and they give you a wristband with your game time on it. On a first in best dressed basis, and if you miss out well so be it. www.laserforcetag.com

Edited by Spotty

It could easily cost upwards of 1 million dollars if it was done decently. Also it doesn't have to be an upcharge attraction when you do think about it. It could just be something that you have to book like Flowrider and they give you a wristband with your game time on it.
Hmm somehow I doubt it will cost $1m and I very much doubt it won't be an upcharge attraction. Isn't flowrider an upcharge attraction?

What? You seriously think a mil? You just said the set up is 66 000, yea thats alot, but its a far way from a million. The mazes are only made of ply wood which is dirt cheap, lighting and effects would cost a terrible lot too. For a million dollars, you would want a 6 story maze. I was talking to the guys at zone empire last I was there and they have a 3 story maze, 30 vests, wireless controlling, data base of high scores and every members scores, not to mention about 15 free to play x-box's in the waiting area, briefing room, there own soundtrack, bases and smoke machines running all day and all night, they didn't tell me there price the set up, but they said it was that expensive and it's quiet low on running costs.

I know dreamworld apparently goes on the cheaper side of everything, but in a themepark environment, I would highly doubt the feasibility for any park too just throw together some plywood walls and ramps and put some UV lights in. They may have some lower standards, but if the attraction look like the one on Ipswich Road, it would not be a good look for the park. Though I imagine it would only be a one story shed as a housing.

• 2 weeks later...