Why is everyone hating dreamworld?

• 6 months later...
When was the Last time you had one of Dreamworld's Churros? I know that they recently changed the supplier of them, so you may have had the older style ones.
i heard a rumor that the bottled water at Sea World is tap water. Dreamworld is so much better coz the bottled water is real water from a hose not a dirty tap. I also heard dreamworld had changed suppliers for the Churros but a few weeks ago they found a whole bunch of the old ones in the back freezer and they are going to sell them even though the use by date has passed. Apparently the manager said just use them and if people get sick they can just say it was the rides that made them sick. See dreamworld is so much better. No way would Sea World think to do that. Dreamworld4eva

i heard a rumor that the bottled water at Sea World is tap water. Dreamworld is so much better coz the bottled water is real water from a hose not a dirty tap. I also heard dreamworld had changed suppliers for the Churros but a few weeks ago they found a whole bunch of the old ones in the back freezer and they are going to sell them even though the use by date has passed. Apparently the manager said just use them and if people get sick they can just say it was the rides that made them sick. See dreamworld is so much better. No way would Sea World think to do that. Dreamworld4eva
yes because they would risk the fines if an inspector came through. i work as a manager at mcdonalds and i was told one other store last year got fined around $70000 for using food 2 days out of date.

Having this thread brought up is quite interesting though. One year ago all the DW fans were pissed because of how pro WVTPs we were. Well since the new COO has had a chance to make his changes this site seems quite anti WVTPs. Funny that ay? BTW:

Dreamworld is so much better coz the bottled water is real water from a hose not a dirty tap.
What is the hose at Dreamworld attached to? Who cares, quote of the month! Edited by joz

Just my $0.02. As a first time Gold Coast visitor this winter, with a family of 3 kids aged 10-15, the consensus was Dreamworld was the best, for the following reasons: * More real "thrill" rides. Dreamworld had 5 (Motor Coaster doesn't count because it was a bit lame, but that still leaves Giant Drop, Tower of Terror, Claw, Wipeout, Cyclone), versus 3 at Movie World (Batwing, Superman, Lethal Weapon) or 2 at Sea World. * Two of the aforementioned MW rides had a 140 cm limit, which excluded our youngest. * On the days we went, MW lines were much longer. The Superman Escape broke down for half the day (which I can forgive), but the Lethal Weapon didn't open until noon, which looked like a cost-cutting exercise, but that blew up in their faces when the Superman went down, leaving the lines for these two rides extremely busy, even at the end of the day. Contrast Dreamworld, where we could get in at 9.00 and do ALL thrill rides in an hour or so, and the lines were short enough at the end of the day that we could get a few more rides in the last hour of the day. At Movie World there was only time for one ride on each. Perhaps we caught Movie World on a bad day, but I can only report what happened to us. (There was lots of time for extra rides at Sea World too, but there are only two worth riding. The two water parks also had short wait times, but it's hard to compare them to the others). * Even to older kids, Wiggles world and Nickolodeon world look cool and bring back memories. They had much less interest in the Movie World themes. (Kids don't watch Looney Tunes anymore, at least mine didn't; they watched Wiggles, and Nickolodeon shows like Timmy Turner and Spongebob). * Dreamworld lets you take food in, Movie World and Sea World don't. * Dreamworld/Whitewater world had a special going for winter, in which we could get a 14 day pass for the price of a 2 day pass. So we were able to return for an extra day for free. Again, I realise that's not always the case but I can only report on my own experience. * Dreamworld negatives would include Q4U people getting on rides ahead of us (but it wasn't busy enough to matter much) and more expensive ride photos (but we didn't buy any anyway). EDIT: I should add some MW positives. It had far and away the best boat ride (Wild West), and the kids thought Superman Escape was perhaps the best ride of the entire trip. But one ride on the Superman doesn't compare to half a dozen on The Claw or the Giant Drop.

Edited by nerdville

Hey Nerdville Those are actually a bunch of very valid points the everyone should respect because it relfects the real situation at the moment. As much as some people won't accept it, we're seeing the standards of WVTP slip slowly but surely, so we now have to look at the competition as a 'best of the worst' - and when you compete at this low level, Dreamworld does have several advantages over the other parks. Things like long breakdowns, higher food prices and not opening rides until midday really do destroy the whole "better guest experience" argument that MW and SW had for years over Dreamworld. Nowadays, one train, slow operation of Lethal Weapon can be compared to the Psyclone's well-known bad reputation as just one example of how it's getting easier to compare the two different parks.

Dreamworld lets you take food in, Movie World and Sea World don't.
Dreamworld's Website, (DW Entry Conditions) says you can't take food into the park either.
No food, drink or animals may be brought onto the premises.
People still take a few sandwhiches and drinks. Workers at the front just dont notice it, because they are in a rush. Does this happen at MW? BTW, WWW lets you take food in, but not comercial food such as Mc.Donalds and KFC. (WWW Entry Conditions)
Picnic and home packed lunches are welcome to be brought in the park. No commercially prepared food allowed. No alcohol or animals to be brought in the park. For safety reasons any glassware is prohibited.
Edited by Jakee

Dreamworld's Website, (DW Entry Conditions) says you can't take food into the park either.
Ooh, you're right. Credit to MW and SW then - at least they are clear about their food rules, they were printed on our vouchers. For Dreamworld and WhiteWater World, there was nothing about food restrictions on the vouchers or tickets. As it turned out, we brought sandwiches or rolls into DW and WWW (and WnWW), ate them on outdoor tables, and no one stopped us. And I would've been pretty annoyed if they had, since the food rule is only in the fine print on the web site.
People still take a few sandwhiches and drinks. Workers at the front just dont notice it, because they are in a rush. Does this happen at MW?
When we visited, MW was the only place that checked. They had two people checking just after the ticket booth. But they were so busy, they didn't check us anyway, even though I had a backback (with camera and bottled water inside, which is allowed).
BTW, WWW lets you take food in, but not comercial food such as Mc.Donalds and KFC. (WWW Entry Conditions)
(Wet'n Wild World is the same). That is a sensible rule which all parks should adopt. KFC etc. is in direct competition to the park food stalls, and people who bring in fast food (and all its packaging) are probably the people more likely to litter. But it's a bit mean stopping people from bringing in their own sandwiches, IMHO. Especially when the food (at all parks) is so overpriced. Edited by nerdville

What I think is silly is that whenever you go these places with security bag checks, be it a theme park, sports game, museum, supermarket etc all you ever do is just open the main part of the bag, they take a one second look, and then you are on your way. They never check side pockets, front part, nor the elastic pocket inside the main compartment, nor under other stuff inside like jumpers etc etc....If someone was trying to cheat the system then there is little to stop them.

Because the vast majority of HONEST people (read: Sheep) would see the rules, and not attempt to bring it in anyway. It was like a concert I went to recently - where the ticket specifically stated "no recording or image devices permitted", and yet there was the intermittent strobing pulse of flashes on digital cameras speckled around the arena, whereas I had intentionally left my camera at home. Nerdville, obviously did the same thing - by not packing food to take to MW, and yet specifically taking food to DW (because MW had put it on the ticket, and DW had not)

Yeah it's as much about creating the illusion of in-depth inspections to deter people as it is to actually enforce the rule. Same could even be said for airport security etc., which is much more thorough. That said, I had an interesting concert experience recently... saw a show recently in the USA where the artist is known for his no-camera policy (doesn't even allow the normal local press guys to get a few snaps). The bag checks on the way in were about the most thorough I've ever seen in any setting, and all they were looking for was cameras.

... someone obscure or one we'd know? ... On that point, I caught a Jess Mauboy nightclub gig while at a nightclub here in Darwin a few weeks ago and it was VERY annoying the amount of mobile phones/digital cameras blocking the view as people took wayyy too many photos. And given we were standing right next to the stage and she's all about getting right up to people, I'm sure many upskirt photos were attempted by some of the less savory characters I saw. Eww, creepy. But yeah, the amount of photos were ridiculous and it got really annoying. I'm sure it must have been to Jess too. Gig was otherwise decent though, she has come a long way from that shy 16 year old who auditioned in the desert for the Idol judges. I'll be moving back to the Gold Coast tomorrow and hitting the parks on the weekend after theme park withdrawal these past couple of months. Won't be developing any sudden allergies/dietery requirements though. I won't be buying much in the way of food/drink but then I never have anyway... I'll just take in a big bottle of water and use that to coast through the day. Will be too busy getting a G-Force fix! :P

Gold Coaster said:
... someone obscure or one we'd know? ...

Bob Dylan.

T-bone said:
I find it interesting that out of all the major US park chains, Disney is the most relaxed when it comes to bag checks. Man I love Disney.

I think it's things like this that are just small parts to the overall system that makes Disney parks so great. Obviously they're far too big a company for things like this to be oversights. Simply put, it suggests that other park operators being more strict with their security in this manner is likely not necessary. Granted it's not 100% clear-cut with parks like Six Flags Magic Mountain for instance appealing to a lower socioeconomic market, where perhaps carrying contraband is more likely to occur, but it does say something about how one company with a lot more to lose from bad PR (Disney) choses to operate.

In regards to the food discussion, I think Dreamworld's food is a lot nicer, and better value. Especially the hot chips. Sea World is SO boring, I think.. people just see how much potential Dreamworld has so they can be disappointing.. My favourite themepark though, with Big Brother that is..