Mc Donalds at Theme Parks....

SuperYoshi

Hello, Not trying to Promote the idea but I have been wondering for awhile why the theme parks haven’t got any Mc Donalds ,KFC etc. I for one wouldn’t want them to be hosted at theme parks, Its to fatty. I was thinking though wouldn’t it be a good business opportunity if they had that at one of the theme parks. But then I also thought they wouldn’t want to pay them and they’d rather get their own profit. I also thought they were trying to send a message out about obesity, but the other foods their are fatty anyway, and its business, why would they care what you eat. IMO if this was going to happen, id see it being DW and WWW not at any of the WVTP! Anyway , those are my thoughts... any opinions? Cheers, Movie_World

Edited by Movie_World

I like the idea as a consumer, but from a company perspective it wouldn't be very smart. Theme parks make a fair bit of revenue from their food and beverage - why would you want to give that up. On saying that though, Disneyland has allowed Mcdonalds to have a fries stall at their theme park.

Mc Donalds operated a small Fries shop at Disneyland (Next too Thunder Mountain) and one in California Adventure (Burger Invasion on the Pier), but Disney no longer wanted their image to include Mc Donalds, at the same time as they decided to cut back on the cross promotion with Mc Donalds Happy Meals. When their contract with Mc Donalds expired they removed the two stalls, which I believe only occured in November or December 2008. I ate there and the food wasn't overly tasty.

I for one wouldn’t want them to be hosted at theme parks, Its to fatty
Heaven knows if a theme park sold hot chips, burgers or fried chicken lol. I also believe KFC has some kind of contract with Six Flags, so that their shops are directly outside the park, but still on Six Flags land

Is their a law against this?
A law against what?
I also believe KFC has some kind of contract with Six Flags, so that their shops are directly outside the park, but still on Six Flags land
Dunno about that one....The closest fast food place to SFMM was a Wendys. As for the topic at hand....Well DW had an Eagle Boys pizza for a period, though I think it is gone now, so it is certainly not without precedent. It doesn't really bother me either way, though my personal preference is for parks to offer high quality stuff that is a little bit unique, but not too exotic for the average parkgoer. Epcot did this really well. There are some merits to having fast food chains in parks, such as brand recognition and lower prices, but I guess I'd rather see something out of the ordinary, after all, half the time you wind up stopping of at Maccas or whatever on the way home from the park.

^ Already been mentioned:

As for the topic at hand....Well DW had an Eagle Boys pizza for a period, though I think it is gone now, so it is certainly not without precedent.
And you don't need to quote the first post. Quotes that size are unneeded anyway, just use what's relevant to your post like I've done. Edited by Gold Coaster

• 1 month later...

I'm not so sure, at a theme park you have a few thousand captive visitors, who generally all do their lunch buying over a concentrated period, so the ability to serve lots of people quickly is crucial, and I think this is where a Subway would fall flat, since the nature of the place is a bit slower paced than most fast food. PS, Can I have a rant? Why do Subway have aura that they are 'good' and that mere mortal fast food places are 'bad'?...They are just as corporate as any other, just as prevalent , they have plenty of unhealthy things on the menu too, and aren't any more 'fresh' than other chains. I guess they just have a good marketing department. I mean, at uni they are opening a Subway on campus next week....I bet if it was McDonalds or whatever people would be picketing it or something.

Firstly gazza, no, you may not. But seriously... Subway have the aura because they offer people a CHOICE to be healthy. And believe me, it is a good option to have - why do you think McDonalds now has a healthy options menu? There are parents out there who would baulk at the decision to go to McDonalds because, whether they care about what their kids eat or not, there was nothing there that THEY wanted to eat. Now the kids can have their happy meal (with apple pieces if they want), and mum can get a wrap, or a bagel, or a muffin from McCafe.... sophistication, healthy choices, but still the food you love (or love to hate). All of the chains are trying to offer something healthy these days - trouble is, none of them have tried like McD's have - McD's have added new things to the menu that they could not have done previously, whereas the other guys trying to "go healthy" are just making it out of the same stuff. Bottom line is - Subway ARE a healthier option IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO. And if you don't choose the healthier option - what can you do? Subway don't hide their nutritional values - they post them bold as brass on the front window - if you choose 600cal sub... thats your own fault.

IMO i think that our parks will one day bring in the fast food chains to the park it for one is a sure fire way to make big bucks. On average a Mc Donalds store which opens from 6 till 11pm can make close to $100,000 gross put this into a theme park and say hours be 11am till 5pm and with less potential than a free standing store with Drive thru you could easily earn $50,000 gross. Need to keep in mind staff wages will be off a maccas award summary And you really don't need that many staff 2 counter staff 2 managers and 3 back area staff, then on peak days like end off week and weekends add another staff member to each area. Labour wouldn't be very high (BTW all this is based on experience in a Mc Donalds store) Stock cost very min. Then operational costs are also very minimal you would be looking at $50,000 a week if not more. Dreamworld is constantly trying out this option with the addition of eagle boys and we see the US made company Crispy Creme in the park. I really dont recon it will be to long till someone tries to put in a fast food giant into a park. I know maccas has tried with Dreamworld many a times with there close friendship with the park when it comes to events.

Krispy Kreme in Dreamworld is kinda different to putting a Maccas in as KK is just another menu item (at an increased price to stores/outlets owned by KK). Eagle Boys I would be guessing was a similiar sort of arrangement. It would all come down to how a major chain would perform compared to their own/exisiting outlets plus the impact that one would have on the other outlets. I personally wouldn't put one into a park and can see reasons why it hasn't been done.

Klassen the flaw in your idea is that out of the $50,000 (which is grossly below any ordinary store - for obvious reasons) the store would be franchised, not McD owned. WVTP could either purchase a franchise themselves, or contract an independant franchisee. Either way, the costs associated with either them buying a franchise, or contracting someone else in would eat into those profits. They would have the freedom to charge higher prices based on premium positioning, but who would pay $3 for a cheeseburger when they can get it over the highway for $2? You also figure on operating from 11am to 5pm. There goes the breakfast menu that would generate the early morning income of most stores. No drive thru deletes another chunk, and most people buying food in the park are done by 3pm at latest, so you have another two hours of trade that will not even substantiate the staff you propose. And if the store does not jack its prices because of it's position, it will directly compete with the park's overpriced (in comparison) food outlets, eliminating an income stream where 100% of the profit goes to the company, and substituting it with a stream that is diluted with fees to the corporate franchise, additional supply costs by having to purchase specific menu items not already stocked in bulk... And where are you going to put it?

Mc Donalds management owns many stores itself, most of the ones you see in the centre of a CBD (I.e Myer Centre). I would assume that the themepark would work with the main company not with an independent franchisee. The store would probably only sell a selected menu anyway but Mc Donalds may not mind making minimum profits because the brand association would be so high.

fast food, theme parks is not a good mix imagine getting a bigmac deal with a great big shake or whatever and then going on a fast thrill ride.... :wacko: I know there is that type of food at most theme parks all ready but if you introduced "burger sea world" agaist mcdonalds, which one is know better and draws in more customers. (kids mostly) Macs ;)

Edited by wondercam