Unique Underwater Project.

I have a unique aquaculture project that was to be built in the US Virgin Islands at a new eco resort. The credit debacle has stalled it so I have brought the project back home. What I would like to ask the forum is, who would I pitch the concept to at Warner for consideration for it to be based at Seaworld? Thanks for any advice. Shaun Waterford. I have attached the brief aimed at Seaworld. Love to hear any feedback.

SeaworldMarineEcoExpo.pdf

You could try going to My-Fun Seaworld website and looking for the contact details. Edit: Sea World Sea World Drive Main Beach, Gold Coast Queensland 4217 Australia Information Line: +61 7 5588 2205 Administration Ph: +61 7 5588 2222 Fax No: +61 7 5591 1056 By the way , Welcome!

Edited by Movie_World

You could try going to My-Fun Seaworld website and looking for the contact details. Edit: Sea World Sea World Drive Main Beach, Gold Coast Queensland 4217 Australia Information Line: +61 7 5588 2205 Administration Ph: +61 7 5588 2222 Fax No: +61 7 5591 1056 By the way , Welcome!
Thanks very much Mate. I was under the impression that the Warner Theme Park group made the calls on new attractions. Someone mentioned Steve Peet, is he still there?

Nah, he has since left and is on board with the Airush skydiving simulator in Surfers. Though one thing, Your concept plan has the artificial reef, Greenhouse Garden ect being built where the Jet Rescue coaster is.
Thanks Gazza, are you familar with the layout of Seaworld? If so, is there a location in the park you can suggest?

In terms of location, Its tough ...SW is severely limited for space, and have reached a stage where anything new will require the demolition of something already existing. Google earth now has more recent imagery at higher resolution than the one included in your PDF, by the looks of it only about 6 months old since Jet Rescue is just a construction site, so maybe have a look around on that.

The concept to me is OK. However really isn't suited in the location you have given. Even though this is engineering oriented its not in my engineering area. Maybe if it was electrical :) Just keep trying, accept the constructive criticism and make changes where needed. If you believe you can pull it off then you most likely can. Good luck.

Guys, I'm a bit disappointed about the way this topic has gone. If you have something intelligent to say like mickey, then by all means post, but leave the cheap shots out. Just remember Movie_World, you haven't been a perfect poster by any means... As for my thoughts....I don't see the harm in having a few aquaculture related things in, especially for the fact that SW can use the fish produced....put a floating boardwalk between them and there is an educational little diversion. One thing to keep in mind is that that lake gets used for the water ski show, so it cant go too far down. As for the underwater domes, in some ways I think it wouldn't be that interesting for the average park guest....I guess it wouldn't be much fun just looking at from the surface, with nothing really 'happening'. If guests could actually go down and explore the facility then it would be interesting. Is the quoted $200,000 cost the contribution required by SW, or the total project cost, I'm guessing the former.

Edited by Gazza

That price is to get it built. Cost. If someone has a location (salt water lake). We are ready to go. I do intend to have businesses run from the location. Aquanaut and diving certification, research into how to propagate pristine conditions, as you mentioned, produce, (which I'm sure is very expensive at SW), anyways I cover alot of that in the outline. The minimum depth for it to be truly underwater is only 20ft. Have a visitor tour through a set "maze" with underwater aquaculture (eg. kelp gardens). Sure it's not for everyone, but for those many who would like an underwater adventure. Without giving it totally away, there are great diving helmets that don't require certifcation. Anyways, I do see it as elite tourism though. The multitudes don't have to visit in the multitude. The reason I set that Price was to get it done. ( I know I'm stating the obvious.)

That price is to get it built. Cost. If someone has a location (salt water lake). We are ready to go. I do intend to have businesses run from the location. Aquanaut and diving certification, research into how to propagate pristine conditions, as you mentioned, produce, (which I'm sure is very expensive at SW), anyways I cover alot of that in the outline. The minimum depth for it to be truly underwater is only 20ft. Have a visitor tour through a set "maze" with underwater aquaculture (eg. kelp gardens). Sure it's not for everyone, but for those many who would like an underwater adventure. Without giving it totally away, there are great diving helmets that don't require certifcation. Anyways, I do see it as elite tourism though. The multitudes don't have to visit in the multitude. The reason I set that Price was to get it done. ( I know I'm stating the obvious.)
Edited by joz

The finer detail I'll keep to myself, at this time. Anyone interested in exploring the concept, let me know. Geez at the price, even a private citizen can afford it. (well the first one that is.) I see alot of Gold Coasters here. Is anyone familiar with Evandale behind the Council chambers at Bundall? That tidal lake, (which is artificial by the way) is the perfect place to have the habitat. I grew up swimming there. Beautiful. Anyways. I think ultimately it has a very strong eco stewardship of the ocean role as well. That's the primary motivation. It is part of an exercise to study and live in the ocean. It we feel a part of it, we are more inclined to care for it.

Edited by joz

Anyways, I do see it as elite tourism though. The multitudes don't have to visit in the multitude.
To be honest though, new attractions at theme parks are generally the exact opposite....Designed to have wide appeal and to be able to accommodate large volumes of park guests.....SW gets around 1.3 million visitors per year from memory, so, from my view point they need to be using their limited land resources for things that will keep overall attendance ticking over.

Gazza, exactly. It would be a good fit for me though. I think by draining and rescaping into a suitable lake space. (ole Bobcat.) would be easy to do. As for space, it is an ocean park, I'd just rescape with my team. As was mentioned and correct, it is a high volumn of traffic that is SW biz, but it wouldn't hurt their image to be seen to be innovative and eco constructive. It would be dammed of course, but I'll discuss that later in private. Where I put the outline at SW was just pure example just as my primitive illustrations were example. (never said I was a graphic artist.) If you look at that Google shot, if the will was there, it could have space. I remember as a kid, riding up the spit with a mate, and fishing in those lagoons. This is thirty years ago though mind you. In my scaping, I'd bring some good healthy white sand in. First Dam, then dome, then grasses and oysters. Although I've dealt with alot of NASA folk and I guarantee it's not rocket science. Create, in essense, a perfect model of care for the ocean. Also, if the budget was expanded, I could easily build an observation tunnel at an excellent price. Then you would have a walk through for everyone. NO JOKE. Thank you for your kindness.

Edited by joz

As someone said earlier all of this is moot, because I assure you all someone from WVTP management would have read this whole proposal by now. People may not think it but the posts on this site go a lot further than most realise.
Erm... that was me. And my main point with that was that it's already been seen - now in "draft" format, which was hardly impressive, but don't get me wrong, look the concept is great, I think an even better one would be one that could accomodate large volumes - a real working study \ living centre, with a "through the looking glass" tour area attached to view the "public areas" as well as public living areas of the underwater habitat. Hell, I'd stick my hand up to go live down there for a couple months - OMG - Think of the Big Brother possibilities! ( :huh::(:o ) I just don't see it being right in a theme park, even if it is a marine theme park.
Gazza, exactly. It would be a good fit for me though.
But a fit for one person cannot justify the real estate on the spit. This would be something more suited to up *near* (not on) the reef. Edited by joz

I don't know Ash. I know the theme park industry fairly well and know most execs are down to earth and straight up. It is what it is, I never expected to be seen by an exec in it's draft. But I'm not ashamed of it either. It does the job explaining what it is and the team that could build it. And if a world record isn't going to get world coverage, I don't know what would. Time will tell for the location. OK, got you load and clear. Invest in a professional presentation. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Habitat Waterford

My experience is that the majority, even if they are not into aquaculture, find it "very cool". But hey, come on, (not talking SW now) I am talking a luxury underwater Granny flat here. Or a research lab. This time next year, my team will be building these worldwide. I am happy with this stage the project is at. I will take the advice and get the outline done high end. Thanks to those who put in positive contribution. I'll drop a line when the new presntation is done.

Edited by joz

A very interesting aspect of this project is the effect on the immediate environment. As you maybe have heard, if not GOOGLE it, is the affect oyster banks and seagrass have on the water quality. In fact, alot of government funds have been dedicated to water quality. As you know, oysters are filter feeders. It has been shown how much they can remove sediment and improve clarity of surrounding waters. You can see such example at: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...earch&meta= Check it out. We are indeed on the verge of improving our waters. The project I have posted is a persuit of ocean care. Drop a line if you have any questions.

I have looked at the proposal, this thread and the thread that has branched off it and I find it strange that you would come to a forum with this. Fair enough if you had managed to get backing and it had been built somewhere and you wanted to pass on further information about it, but not when any of that has happened yet. Personally I think you are way off with your estimate of $200,000 and 6 weeks to operation. It looks like you plan to have solar and wind technology to generate the power. Those are both still expensive technologies, even with government grants. My family has a 50 year history in the construction game and I can tell you that the materials cost for a project of that scale, in water will be close to, if not over $200,000. On top of that you have planning, engineering, administration, labour, and government costs. I have no doubt you will be able to get corporate sponsorship for this, and while I don't know how much you plan to get out of that, but I think you will find that it will be less than you expect because corporate sponsors want a good deal out of sponsorship ie, want something back from it and while in the short term they may get publicity, the fact is in the long term people will forget about the habitat and that's not good when it comes to and income stream from corporations. It's a good idea but wouldn't work well at a theme park. Maybe you should be proposing this to the Great Barrier Reef Authority or somewhere is Western Australia. Bussy

Unfortunately, the on-topic details I mentioned were moved, but as you can see Bussy, I had similar thoughts and am in complete agreeance with you.

You talk about how cheap this would be to construct - $200,000? I don't think so - basic costs yes, but the liabilities on this in itself would be monstrous - you would need insurance companies to cover it, and they would insist on a lot more protection than you have proposed, increasing the costs dramatically.
And as far as publicity, even if you could guarantee the worldwide publicity you claim, the world market is not in a current financial position to book a ticket and jump a plane to Australia to be part of it, and by the time they will be in a position, they will have forgotten about it all, instead learning of something new and exciting to see several months or years later, from someone smart enough to launch something new in a growth market, instead of a receding one.

Thanks Bussy for your intelligent, respectful post. As for tourism, there aren't many places you can earn an Aquanaut certification. You know something Bussy, I knew darn well that this would be circulated amoungst industry types. That is why I posted it in the first place. Instead of individually approaching all industry bosses, I wanted to create an in-house buzz. Which has been very successful. I have been contacted by quite a few industry folk who I have then passed on further info. After all, Atlantis wasn't built in a day. lol. It is all about making familiar to industry both myself and my team. The price of the project was taking into consideration of a suitable location and that Monolithic.com were doing the project at cost to realise this endeavour. Also there are Government incentives if built through an accredited marine institution. To date, after the succes of the prototype, there are 3 marine institutes who have expressed interest in purchasing one. All world leaders in their field. In essense, it is an affordable semi permanent habitat. Think of a concrete submarine without a drive train. As well as the habitat, there is either a floating pontoon or a land base connected by umbilical cord. The satellite station is where the topside wind/solar - battery banks are kept. (as well as compressors etc.) The fact is that this is affordable due to the method used to construct it. Mostly concrete and steel rebar. There is NO profit margin in this project. It is to illustrate the concept. A part of what is not included in the brief is the sponsorship outline. I have no doubt that a solar company would sponsor with their own products featured. In effect, the project becomes a marketing vehicle for their company. (what better way to illustrate "off grid" power systems.) The biggest problem is finding a location which is out of government controlled area and bring the vested interest together. Investigating the theme parks is but one avenue I have covered but one I could see viable if they were so inclined. Thanks for your input. Shaun. PS. I am dealing with Tourism Qld at the moment and they have put me n contact with the GBR Marine Authority.

Edited by Habitat Waterford

• 3 months later...

Still $15.50

By just bidding, it closes the auction, which costs me money if you are not serious or if is not viable
I am going to laugh if that stays at $15.50. Just enough to cover his ebay costs. Should have started with a reserve. I think its about time to do the "Alex was right dance"