Favourite Disneyland/Californian Adventure thrill ride?

Favourite Disneyland/Californian Adventure thrill ride  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Disneyland/Californian Adventure thrill ride

• Space mountain
    • Splash Mountain
    • Big thunder Mountain
    • Indiana Jones Adventure
    • California Screamin
    • Tower of Terror
    • Grizzly River Run
    • Maliboomer

Just wondering what your favourite thrill rides are at the LA disney parks. i know some of them arent real "thrill" rides, but they are for Disneyland. My favourite would have to be California Screamin, best rollercoaster ever! its long, fast and good track. everything u want in a coaster. i also love splash mountain, as its always been my favourite ride at any disneyland.

Edited by JD_bunnies_supporter

Gotta be Splash Mountain.... easily the longest ride out of all the options and really has it all - indoors, outdoors, the bunny hill drops, really cool lighting and visual effects especially before the big lift hill, great theming and so many surprises for first time riders. As much as I love tower, Indy and Space Mountain, Splash is still a heap of fun every time I ride it. rich

Gotta be Splash Mountain.... easily the longest ride out of all the options and really has it all - indoors, outdoors, the bunny hill drops, really cool lighting and visual effects especially before the big lift hill, great theming and so many surprises for first time riders.
thats a great point. The drops r fantastic in the ride, and has great theming, along with great electronics in their characters in the ride. something wild west falls could improve on, instead of a screen!

Indiana Jones was my fave, just a riot from start to finish, and really exceeded my expectations. For the fun of it, I'll do a ranking: 1) Indy 2) TOT (People bag this one out compared to the FL version, but the magic mirror was really cool, and the drop sequence is still awesome) 3) CA Screamin' (A coaster that has it all, with a great soundtrack to boot) 4) Space Mountain (Really cool theming, and again an excellent sound track) 5&6) GRR and Splash (Hard to separate, the actual layouts/elements were both really well done on each ride...Neither had a story that could be followed, but they both looked pretty. 7) Big Thunder (Yes the theming is nice, but the coaster itself is pretty average) 8) Mailboomer (Just some off the shelf ride that should never have been built at DCA in the first place)

5&6) GRR and Splash (Hard to separate, the actual layouts/elements were both really well done on each ride...Neither had a story that could be followed, but they both looked pretty.
Sorry Gazza, but did you just say that Splash mountain did not have a story that could be followed?
Theme: The Story of Brer rabbit leaving home, getting into and out of trouble as in the video Song of the South.
I think if you'd seen the movie, you'd follow it much better. Remember when the original attraction, where most of the animatronics came from was built - that the story would have been well known then... a similar storyline follows through into splash mountain, its just nobody understands it - because they're not looking at Mickey or Indiana... characters people know very well, but rather at characters out of a long-gone era that they are quite ignorant to. I followed it quite well when I rode it in 1996, but for those after more info, see this link
Song of the South The movie Splash Mountain is based on. After years of riding on Splash Mountain in Disneyland I finally bought my own copy of Disney's Song of the South movie and got to see how similar the ride is to the movie! I saw many of Splash Mountain's scenes throughout the movie and grew an understanding of many aspects of the rides theme such as: the drop into the Briar patch's significance Learn about what goes on in that flash mountain top's tree stump & its name, see the story behind the laughing place and its beeezzz see the fishing frog and many other characters seen throughout the ride even the fencing style in the movie is the same around Splash Mountain also learn how much Brer Bear is being paid to bounce up and down on the rope and heaps more! Check out the movie here!
Edited by AlexB

Okay, out of that list, let's rank them. I'd put Haunted Mansion at the top of the list of the ones I'd love to get to go on right this very second though :P 1/ Indiana Jones Adventure ... Epic, epic ride. Amazing theming down to the finest of details, random route, a more coasterish adventure version of the Haunted Mansion. Amazing FX too. 2/ Tower of Terror - Haven't had the chance to do the Florida version but this has great theming, a drop sequence that never gets old and a nice spooky atmosphere... 3/ California Screamin' - From the fun of the lakeside launch, it's quite a fun layout amid the atmosphere of the pier. Love the Mickey ears loop too, great design decision... may not be that intense but pure Disney magic. 4/ Splash Mountain - The king of the flume rides with a great story, gets you soaked and wonderful theming. Truly feels like you're in a fantasy world and love the music. 5/ Big Thunder Mountain -- a lot of fun but not overly thrilling. Has that definite Disney magic though. 6/ Grizzly River Run - Probably the best rapids I've done. Gets you really wet and it's always fun being held in suspense to see if that spout is going to get you towards the end. 7/ Space Mountain - I actually found this quite disappointing the first time, I'd built it up in my head over the years after chickening out on my first visit to DL as a 11-year-old. On my last visit I found it reasonable but middle-of-the-road as a thrill ride. Over very quickly too. 8/ Maliboomer - Yuck. Obnoxious shields in front of your seat and while it might fit the boardwalk carnival theme to a reasonable degree, I've done too many of these rides to want one at DCA too. They should replace it with something unique even if it's still something simple.

did you just say that Splash mountain did not have a story that could be followed?
It follows the Disney story that is applied to every ride.... 1) Well meaning animal-esque character has a happy but un-fulfilled life 2) Character embarks on voyage of self-discovery 3) Character gets involved with the wrong crowd 4) Character goes to hell / gets cooked / near death experience and scares small children in the process 5) Character is magically rescued / saved / returns home 6) Everyone sings an overly happy song to finish it up Apply this to Splash, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Pinnochio and even the old Dumbo ride and you have a winning formula :P

I would have to say that despite its qualities as a ride, the storyline of the Disneyland Splash Mountain is anything but clear. It wasn't until I rode Walt Disney World's version that the scenes and song elements actually came together as a cohesive story. I'm sure seeing Songs of the South helps but Disney all but denies this film exists these days, owing to its racist/slavery elements.

8/ Maliboomer - Yuck. Obnoxious shields in front of your seat and while it might fit the boardwalk carnival theme to a reasonable degree, I've done too many of these rides to want one at DCA too. They should replace it with something unique even if it's still something simple.
They really need to theme this ride better, like they have done with the batwing spaceshot. Give it some paint, mickey faces at the top, strip the whole cartoony **** on the sides of it, and design it differently, thats all it needs, if not get rid of it! lol.

They really need to theme this ride better, like they have done with the batwing spaceshot.
Bah, if you are going to give an example of a well themed Spaceshot then Batwing isn't it. Doctor Dooms Fearfall is probably the best one out there: http://www.parkz.com.au/photos/US/Orlando/...Dooms-Fearfall/

Sorry Richard, but having never been to WDW myself, and having only seen Songs of the South AFTER I had first ridden it, I have to say that the storyline itself makes perfect sense - and, as Nev put it, it is the same in any Disney storyline. The point is that for splash mountain, you have to LISTEN as well as LOOK. Unlike Small World, the storyline isn't just visible, and the music isn't just repetitive background dabble to join each room together. The storyline is as much in the lyrics of the songs as they are the animatronics. The lyrics of the songs in the ride itself differ slightly from the versions found within Songs of the South. There are even songs added to the ride that were not contained in the movie. The story of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox also existed outside of Songs of the South too. Here are some excerpts from the "ride" version of lyrics...

The weather is good, <------ First Scenes - everything is happy. Meet the hero (Brer Rabbit) The fishin' is fine. What do we do With all of our time? ------------------------------------------------- What can poor Brer Rabbit do <---- Hero has been caught by the villain To keep from becoming rabbit stew? Warning Brer Rabbit is wasting my breath! The rabbit is facing certain death! Don't you go to the laughin' place Or the fox will get you too! Stay away from the laughin' place! You must beware the fox is there! Don't go in! That Brer Fox's had his way At the laughin' place this very day! ---------------------------------------------- Time to be turning around... if only you could. <----- Warning you that you are in danger yourself If you've finally found your laughing place...how come You aren't laughing? So you're looking for a laughing place hey...we'll show you a laughing place. ---------------------------------------- Sooner or Later that rabbit is gonna come home (he's comin') <----- All hope is not lost I'll betcha, I'll betcha that he'll get there. You wait and see! (Will he, mama?) Sooner or Later Brer Fox'll be letting him go (ooh, ooh) I'll betcha (ooh, ooh) Brer Rabbit's gonna free him. You wait and see! (You wait and see.) He's gonna trick ol' Brer Fox Get away by his talks Matter-of-factly I don't know exactly when. (aah, aah) ------------------------------------------------- Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! <-----He got away safely, and everyone is happy - except fox and bear My oh my, what a wonderful day! Welcoming back Brer Rabbit today. We always knew that he'd get away! He's had enough of movin' on now. It's where he's born and bred in. The briar patch is where he's headin'. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! Wonderful feeling, wonderful day! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! My oh my, what a wonderful day! Plenty of sunshine heading our way. We never doubted he'd get away! Moving on taught him a lesson. You've learned it well, Brer Rabbit. Gettin' caught's a nasty habit. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! Wonderful feeling, feeling this way! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! It's a time for celebratin' today! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! Gathered together this wonderful day! Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! Brer Fox and Brer Bear are gonna get it today. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay! That hungry gator's gettin' his way! Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder. It's the truth, it's actual. Everything is satisfactual.
Now it's been a while since I rode splash, so I might be a little out of sequence, and theres some songs \ lyrics missing out of the middle, but as you can see by the lyrics themselves, the storyline is there for all to see and hear, if only one is paying a little attention. Lyrics, and their original "movie" counterparts, are available here

I swear this verse...

How do you do? Mighty pleasant greetin' How do you do? Say it when you're meetin' How do you do? With every one repeatin' Pretty good sure as you're born
...sounds like it ends with "Pretty good and so is your mum" Or maybe it's just my filthy mind.... next time you go listen out for it :P

Oh go and look for the word SEX in the Lion King why don't you??? ;)
That and the big phallus in the Little Mermaid right?!
Let's not forget the lurid scenes in "The Rescuers" along with many other stories you can find out in mouse tales, or the hidden mickeys site. Hell, Walt even spotted nudie scenes in one of their animations. Even though this little Splash debate has gone on for a few posts now, the person It had originally been directed at has remained silent on the issue - Gazza - does it seem like it might have had a story that you just overlooked, now i've gone into a bit more detail about it? I think the test track would be an awesome addition, especially since they spent a whole heap of money perfecting the technology (esp. the tyres), so it should be a relatively low-cost addition, unlike the prototype costs.

Gazza - does it seem like it might have had a story that you just overlooked, now i've gone into a bit more detail about it?
I never denied it had a story , just not one I could follow ( I have read the wiki article on the ride in the past, and have been up to speed on it since then anyway)..I have only ever ridden it once, and I guess I was just taking it all in.