Lethal weapon in rain

I have been on many roller coasters in my time, but not usually in the rain. On sunday 25th of Jan, while at movieworld, it started to rain, i expected superman to close, which it was...., while lethal weapon remained open. in my opinion, i dunt believe rides like this should b running in the rain. wet tracks, wet wheels, wet parts, at high speeds? They tell u to slow down in a car if its raining. This also happened to me while in tokyo disneysea on the raging spirits rollercoaster. rain didnt seem to tempt them to close the ride. i still rode lethal weapon that day, but i thought to myself, should it really b operating. any1 else got any thoughts on this? not just about lethal weapon, but any ride running in the rain.

Certain rides need to close in inclement weather for safety reasons - Superman closes because of the high impact of rain in your face during launch, as well as the launch systems themselves having issues when wet. Bush Beast back at wonderland would have to close in high winds, but only in certain directions, as blowing in certain directions could cause the train to stall, and not make it up the next hill. For many reasons, I have no problem with riding Lethal in the rain - firstly, the majority of the approach to the station is undercover, so while the first set of brakes is exposed, if, for any reason the train were to slip through, there is still plenty of room to stop it with perfectly dry drive wheels next to the maintenance bay. Secondly, it isn't a launched coaster, it's gravity fed - power of rain in your face might become a little annoying, but it's not completely unbearable. Also the fact that it is suspended means that you have the track and bogey elements above you, minimising the rain. Sure, you go upside down, and sideways, but not long enough for the rain to really be a bother. Your main issues seems to be wet components, rather than any comfort aspect though, so to cover that - quite simply - the wheels aren't going to come off the track. Upstops, and guide wheels mean that is physically impossible. They do tell you to slow down when it's raining in a car - a vehicle that has no track, no guide rail, and is free moving and able to hit anything on the same level. It is also under the control of a person, who may or may not be a moron. A coaster train has a set course, with nothing in the way of that course that can be hit. I'm sure Lethal would shut down if the storm turned electrical, but theres no reason to take down a perfectly good (i use the term lightly) coaster for a bit of precipitation. Considering the issues that could happen - and the only one really being that the train could - COULD possibly slip through EVERY brake run, and ALL the drive wheels, and shoot through the station back onto the chain lift. (I know - it's insanely impossible - but we're talking worst case scenario) Even if all the drive wheels (RUBBER drive wheels) managed to somehow become slippery enough that it was POSSIBLE for it to shoot through the station, it is unlikely to result in a crash because if it's raining that hard, it's unlikely that it is set up for two-train operation, and the train can just keep circulating the course until someone is smart enough to turn off the chain lift.

but theres no reason to take down a perfectly good (i use the term lightly) coaster for a bit of precipitation.
Thanks for ur feedback mate, makes alot more sense why they keep it open in the rain. you made some good points. abit off topic, but from the above quote, it seems u dunt enjoy lethal weapon?

^Yeah, some people find Lethal Weapon to be too rough and head banging to enjoy, or ride more than once per visit....there is a whole topic devoted to it here: http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=3030 Anyhow, theme park attractions would be expected to run in all sorts of weather conditions. (Remember, rides in places like the UK would be expected to put up with worse conditions than ours) Rides often have a wet weather mode that can be activated, which will do things like increasing brake pressure etc. They'd never operate the ride if it were unsafe to do so. Also JD, just a friendly reminder to use spellcheck, and avoid chatroom abbreviations (don't write 'dunt', 'u' or 'b', write don't , you and be)

Edited by Gazza

I went last saturday in the pouring rain and it was great fun! Especially lethal weapon, which was running on that day also. Since everyone seemed scared to get wet, there was no line up at all, i got straight on. I rode the kids coaster five times in a row without even getting off, and on the last few runs i was the only one on it. Scooby Doo was the opposite, since it's indoors it seemed EVERYONE in the entire park was lining up for it, so i avoided it on this occasion (although i did do it once when i first arrived at the park and there was only a 10 minute wait). Another downside was that stunt driver was cancelled for the 11:00 show and i left by 12 so i missed it. Going down again this saturday with a couple friends of mine, will be interesting to see how busy it is and to check out stunt driver for the first time!

• 2 weeks later...

I rode lethal weapon in the rain and it was terrible. It was pouring. The operator even said while the train was departing "Get ready to get wet" and chuckled. I got off and i was absolutely drenched. I was wetter than when i went on wild wild west. The pain was also unbearable. I couldnt wait for it to stop. First of all the car going so fast, and th rain hitting you at that speed hurts. I was in the front row and had to close my eyes the whole way because it was getting in my eyes. This also added to the headbanging because i couldnt brace. It was a horrible experience, i dont think i will ever ride in the rain again unless it is only sprinkling.

• 4 months later...