Stunt Driver review

rival81

I got a chance to see stunt driver yesterday for the first time. While the storyline wasn't exactly riveting, the stunts and driving skill on display were all very impressive. The cars looked and sounded fantastic and the sets were great! The final stunt is undoubtedly the highlight of the show, and definitely got a big response from the crowd. The areas they could improve on: - Storyline (is pretty solid but needs more humour, and needs to be more quirky) - Characters (about the only character i really cared about or felt like i got to know at all was the goofy extra guy who kept doing things he shouldn't... this needs work, most of the characters were pretty uninteresting) - Pre-show (camera looking at the crowd is awesome, but having a character out talking to the crowd and keeping them amused would really help get people in the right mood for the show!)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was watching it, instead of thinking “this is great, I have to see it again”. I was thinking " I could be on Scooby Doo right now!" I have seen the Police academy stunt show at least 6 times and it has never got old for me, yet next time I go to Movie World, I will be taking the advantage of people watching the show while the ride queues go down. IMO They have rushed this show, they haven't thought that this show has to live as long as police academy. But IMO you can only watch this show once.

Went to see Hollywood Stunt Driver today, massively dissapointing. It was too short, it had a runtime of 18 minutes. The stunts had very little continuity. The story line and acting were shoddy, the story itself pretty much irrelevant to the whole production. In fact truth be told with a pretext as poor as displayed I don't know why they even bothered to have a story line, why not call it "Generic Car Stunts". I also found the advertising to be somewhat shameless. At a themepark the last thing on my mind is whether I should be changing oil to Castrol edge. Not saying the show doesn't have potential, but I feel that the show needs to be reinterpreted somewhat. It really needs to define it's characters more, it needs to define the context of the show more and it needs to have at least a 30 min runtime

Well, on the one attraction remaining that isn't meant to "immerse" you in some form of theme (because this is meant to be behind the scenes, and is the only one that does so) it's really the only attraction with a corporate tie-in. Unlike Bigpond V8 Supercars Redline Mick Doohan's Motocoaster Avis Vintage Cars I won't even start on the shows, although most are nickelodeon \ wiggles, which fits in with the theming of the area... so until MW starts co-branding rollercoasters, I reckon on letting them be with Castrol... Also - you want the run time extended to at least 30 minutes, when it has a poor storyline, and stunts with very little continuity, but you want another 12 or so minutes of it?

I have now seen the stunt driver show twice, and this is what I have to say about it. I quite enjoyed the show, but firstly thought there was no chemistry between the characters (whether this is a scripting issue, or a casting issue is something which I can't really comment on). Secondly, the scripting from the director was just so fake, it doesn't make me believe he is directing a big picture. Thirdly, I really don't appreciate chocking on the burnt out rubber from the cars as they do their stunts (and having the smell go all through my clothing), and bits of actual rubber from the tyres flying all over me. And lastly, the both times I saw the show, I saw things say on the second time that I didn't see the first time, and vice versa. Apart from those small nit-pics, I thought the show was awesome. The pre-show camera was entertaining enough to fill the 20 minutes we waited for the show, and the sets had been really well done (well except for the brown door on the finale, those who have seen it will know what I mean). As for the advertising, well thats the nature of business these days. Every park does it, and even Movie World has done it in the past. As long as there is some sort of tie in with what the attraction is about, I can't see any issues with it. Really, at the end of the day, it's the in park advertising that helps keeps the operating costs low without the customer having to foot the bill by increased entry fees and whatnot. The advertising helps pay for the attraction, including staffing, operating costs and maintenance.

(well except for the brown door on the finale, those who have seen it will know what I mean).
That's one thing I noticed..For those of you who haven't seen it, at the end of the show the car rolls out of the front 'doors' of a building, but they aren't actual doors, just a plastic banner sheet that has doors printed onto it. It's one of those of 'why did they bother' type things. Its pretty obvious to everyone that it just is a plastic sheet, so why even try making it look like a wooden door, especially since it just flaps ovet the car when it rolls out? Why not say, have a red and white striped plastic sheet over the doorway, like one on a fruit shop? I saw the show again, and they have made further changes,

the main one being a petrol pump that spurts out fuel, which catches alight, and a motorcyclist goes through it. The intro is a bit tweaked...., the show starts off with driving, instead of the camera man wandering over, there is no more lame dinosaur cartoon intro, but they got rid of that fairly decent joke about the extras paying to be here.

I mean, technically , the show is really well done with the stunts pulled off well, but it's not quite flowing enough, and lacks a bit of charm. I'd like to see them do more with the marty character, and introduce a couple of new stunts so they don't have to rely so much on displays of drifting. One final thing (I personally was wondering when it was going to happen) but the HSD hero car and the 4 drivers now in the star parade.

Edited by Gazza

Thirdly, I really don't appreciate chocking on the burnt out rubber from the cars as they do their stunts (and having the smell go all through my clothing), and bits of actual rubber from the tyres flying all over
Toughen up princess what way would you suggest they do to stop this from happening? Jesus Christ....

Well, if the rubber is actually "flying" into the crowd, it is a real safety issue. Debris could take an eye out, and the natural suggestion would be to place a fine mesh or netting across the lower levels. Of course this is if it isn't an over-exaggeration. As to the smell, it's a car stunt show - and in that vane, I would encourage the toughen up princess attitude.

Well, if the rubber is actually "flying" into the crowd, it is a real safety issue. Debris could take an eye out, and the natural suggestion would be to place a fine mesh or netting across the lower levels. Of course this is if it isn't an over-exaggeration. As to the smell, it's a car stunt show - and in that vane, I would encourage the toughen up princess attitude.
I've been to the Summernats burnout competition and stood at the fence line for the past decade, even when the tires pop after 5 minutes of constant tire spinning and fly into the crowd the worst injury I've seen is a scratched face. I get what your saying but I think T-Bone might of been over exaggerating.

So yes in a year I'm looking to how the show will be
I work in the entertainment industry and this is really bad to hear. Nowhere else in the industry - other than a place with essentially a non-fee paying, captive audience - can a performance get away with this. Real, professional producers, theatre companies, dance party promotors, etc get one chance to make a good impression. If you open an average or unfinished theatrical production, it gets slammed by the critics and audiences, and closes within weeks. So why then do we as paying public put up with what is clearly a half-assed show and just accept that it will 'get better in time'? So many people on this forum have posted comments of a similar nature... we seem to have a show that is really fairly average, that people are saying "oh it's ok, it'll get better in x weeks" This kind of attitude just shows a complete disrespect from the park to its guests in my opinion. I wish I had the luxury of doing an average job the first time around and then polishing it over the course of the next few months. You only get one chance to impress someone - especially at a theme park where interstate visitors may only visit at the most once every year. At places like Disneyland, etc, shows of similar sizes with similar audiences are polished, professional productions staffed with real industry people that create productions worthy of Broadway seasons. Shows like Aladdin at DCA, the Big Band show at TDS, etc are all shows that their respective parks can be proud of. Now these shows perform to similar numbers of people each day as our shows do... so surely it's a standard that can be aspired towards. In so many ways our country's theme parks' shows and entertainment are just like our rides - nothing on the professionalism, creativity and standard as their overseas counterparts. rich (Oh and before I get flamed for it, when I say 'non-fee paying public' I am referring to the fact that people don't pay a specific fee to go and see a show in a theme park.)

Toughen up princess what way would you suggest they do to stop this from happening? Jesus Christ....
Well, I obviously didn't bother me too much otherwise I wouldn't have seen the show a second time. And yes, there were bits of tyre being flown around over the audience from one of the cars, and I never did say how big they were, so how can I be over-exaggerating their size? Of-course, I never said they were huge issues, just an issue which wasn't present in Police Academy (even though the car stunts weren't as extreme as the stunts in Stunt Driver, none of these small issues were evident in Police Academy (from my re-collection of Police Academy). Anyway, my opinion is good show, but needs a bit of work in scripting and character intergration.

This kind of attitude just shows a complete disrespect from the park to its guests in my opinion. I wish I had the luxury of doing an average job the first time around and then polishing it over the course of the next few months. You only get one chance to impress someone - especially at a theme park where interstate visitors may only visit at the most once every year.
Nev i just have to say excellent point you have made i have performed in theatrical productions, many and i know that when there isn't a neat and polished show you will get nowhere, But if it were to be a neat and polished show it is excellent, last year i played a character in theatrical production called The importance of being Ernest. It took us 6 months to put together we expected a 3 week run and it lasted 8 now that show was one of the best i have been in for a long time, I my self am a magician and perform for schools both primary and high schools and also do shows at RSL clubs and other major venues my last years show was called Mystic took me 4 months to put together and i had almost full shows every time because it would have to have been in my opinion my most polished work. It was only suppose to be performed for last year but I'm still doing that exact same show this year. In the case of HWSD i have seen the show so many times i have lost count but each day it doesn't get old i enjoy it as much as everyone in the audience does. IMO the only reason why people on the forums say "oh it was ok" is because we compare it to PASS a show which is so much different and followed a different aspect than HWSD does. Everyone hates the script on the forums they talk to much. That is the point, the reason for the show was to teach the guests the audience how stunts and films were made and the original script followed that. After reading complaints from people about the show most weren't even from our actual guests they were from people i know in the theme parking community. I know they are guests to but they are trying to compare this show to PASS. I always ask guests what did they think off the show and every single guest says "that show was brilliant" or to that extent the fact is the guests love it and find the show to be a excellent addition and one thing a guest said to me one day was it was a older guy a father he said to me. "It is great to see that Movie World is starting to go back to the original days were it shows us the movie aspect of things" which i find to be so true. Micheal and his team spent so much time before anyone here knew about the show coming to put together a show that brings the movies back to the park. IMO he has done a job well done. I know everyone now is going to have a go at this and say oh we aren't comparing the shows the fact is you are this show is nothing like and isn't suppose to be anything like PASS it is designed to show you how stunts and movies work and you need a script with a decent amount of talking to tell you that. The show isn't well polished because the time management plan wasn't very well managed after the issues with the PASS set deconstruction the fact is with the time they had this show is very good. All those involved deserve a standing ovation for there hard time work and effort. Edited by klassen24

At no point did I even refer to PASS - that's not my argument at all. My point is that the show opened unfinished, and still appears to be performing that way, and that that therefore is not acceptable. The reason for the post is that so many people have said "give it x weeks and it'll be ok". I know the shows are different, so I didn't compare them. The end result is that whatever show is in there, it is in to entertain and be staged professionally every time, and I don't think this is happening.

I have to respectfully disagree with that last comment. I have seen the show and I can definitely say not everyone one in the audience thought it was brilliant. I think it was summed up wonderfully by a lady in front of me that turned to her husband and said "oh look, it's just like the Lights Motors Action show we saw at Disneyworld." I wonder how much time you can spend "putting together" a show where all you are in fact doing is taking something someone else has done, and working out how you can do it easier and cheaper, which is what the Hollywood Stunt Driver show is. The show also doesn't and never did teach the audience anything. The Disney show (which I've also seen) uses a multitude of trick cars to achieve seemingly impossible stunts and then afterwards shows the audience how they did it. The Movie World show does none of that. Of course the show will be compared to Police Academy, it was replaced by this show. If a park replaces an attraction and the new one is inferior to the old one you have to expect people to be disappointed. I feel you are completely entitled to your opinion Klassen24 however I do not agree with you and there are many out there that would appear to feel the same.

Look everyone's points put together and in the end the fact is from our prospective the show isn't up to standards or polished, but we are like the film critics, when they go and judge a film they pick it to pieces and almost every time it turns out to be a bad response but the viewers love it. It is the same here we are picking it to pieces but the guest's the views love it i see this show and it's crowds 5 days a week and almost every person leaves with a smile on there face and i havn't once had a bad review by a guest that has either approached me or i approach them. "oh look, it's just like the Lights Motors Action show we saw at Disneyworld." That doesn't mean they dislike the show just means they have seen something similar and in most cases makes them want to go see it or excited to see it. It's the same as me going to the Great Moscow Circus and saying "oh look, it's just like Cirque Du Soleil we saw in Brisbane" Just because The Great Moscow circus was on a much smaller scale and nowhere near as good as Cirque Du Soleil Doesn't mean i dislike there show just means i have seen something similar and in my case it made me want to see it and i was excited to see it even though it was very much the same it was still good. Every single day HWSD is staged professionally nothing less these people who are in the show both actors and drivers, tech crew all trained months before the show started. The only reason why people have a go at the show is because we are adding new effects new scenes and we have made changes to the script which you can't say some shows don't. The fact is those who dislike and complain about these changes well you have a lot more complaining to do as things are going to be added and changed heaps this year even more so by the middle of the year when stage two is approved and things are changed all over again with new things new changes to the script ect. i say if you don't like it and don't think it polished enough or isn't professionally staged enough for you don't go see it.

Edited by klassen24

I understand where you're coming from Klassen, but what you're saying really reads to me exactly what the official line from the company would be on the show, I know, I work there. Whilst I'm not about to go and bash my employer on a public forum, I'm certainly not about to get on here and defend it against all of these posts. After all, anyone that doesn't work for the park is General Public, simple as that. All of these negative posts have come from the General Public. And the reality is that every day a whole heap of people who are in the know, whether they be in the entertainment industry, theme park industry, people that visit a lot of international tourist attractions, go to the theatre a lot, or just simply long time fans of PASS, come through that front gate. We can't simply discount anyones opinion thats negative simply because they aren't what we consider to be the desired demographic, they're all paying customers. What I don't understand is rather than try and argue against peoples negative comments, the company doesn't take them on board and fix the problems. It's something I'm seeing a lot in the tourism and hospitality industry at the moment, businesses seem to be telling patrons what they should be happy with and want, rather than listening to them. My personal thoughts are invalid because at the end of the day there ARE people out there with negative opinions of the show and that is not acceptable. Our aim should be to remove the cause of these negatives and aim for each and EVERY visitor to be completely satisfied with their experience. Whilst that is an unattainable objective we should be doing everything in our power to get as close as possible, not just simply discounting their opinion because we feel strongly otherwise. Often the employees involved directly, have to much of a personal attachment to the product and thus lack the perspective to take the negative comments on board. The only comment I will personally make is that I believe it inaccurate to suggest every minute possible was spent preparing for the shows opening as I know for a fact no work was taking place on weekends. Nathan I commend your company loyalty and it's clear you are a big fan of the show, sometimes though we have to put our own feelings aside and listen to others opinions, even if they are critical of ourselves.

Edited by djrappa

Djrappa i have to say you have a very clear point to prove in what you said and i take that into account in that you are most certainly right. I have worked in entertainment for a long time most of my life, From dance into drama and from there a performance entertainer to magician and i know that atleast if not more of my defense against this show is because i know that you are always going to be attached to your work or work by others in which you are a soul part of. In saying that as much as those who are on the opposite side of this discussion will disagree i still stand a decent point in discussion. But your input has been very much appreciated thank you.

Edited by klassen24

As I said in my last post I think thats a very fair stance for you to take. It would be very hypocritical for me to say we have to listen to everyones thoughts and then say you can't have yours :) I look forward to seeing the show again soon, it's been a while and Im sure it has come a long way.

Hey Klassen24, I saw The Importance of being Ernest here in Brisbane and it was as you say very polished and incredible performances by all involved. Which character did you play, out of interest? Did you perform at the south bank venue (QPAC i think?) or elsewhere? Wow that show was great.

Djrappa in my opinion with all the regular changes going on with the show it is slowly getting to a better standard than it was but the driving is a lot better now with more and more practice the timing in the show is also very much in place now i know a lot of people complained about the end gag not being on time properly but it is all good now and it gets the audience going. Rival81 i didn't perform in Brisbane i performed in Sydney but the Sydney and Brisbane shows were both by the same director and team though some of the actors from Sydney didn't do the Brisbane show i was one who didn't it was only main characters. I played Reverend Dr. Chasuble in Sydney then late last year When i came back home my local production company was doing the show as there end of year production so i auditioned and got the roll off Algernon. Was a lot easier the 2nd time have a very good grasp of the whole script already and the story line.

• 1 month later...

just out of interest, the final jump stunt at the end, is that actually real? (well obviously its not a jump, but is it the same car?) im thinking its not and when the screen shows the pre-recorded red car drive up the ramp and appear on the top level, that the car instead stays on the bottom level, drives to the exit building and waits. a dummy car on a track then enters view, goes into the building then across the "jump" and triggers the explosion. of course i could be wrong. secondly, does anyone have an old map before SE and HWSD back when the park still had the special effects show and studio tour?