What Thrill ride do you want at DW

Intamin

If you were CEO of Dreamworld what roller coaster and which thrill ride would you put in. Explain why. Personnaly I would add a good coaster such as an Intamin/B&M. Something tall and fast. At least something to compare with Superman Escape. I would also put in an intamin bungee tower.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A wood coaster would be too much like the cyclone e.g rickety and big dips, just without the drop.
Not at all. Thing is, if you get a wooden coaster from the major manufacturers these days, you're either going to get something very airtime oriented, or something with a twisted layout. Cyclone has neither of these characteristics. I'm not too fussed with what DW hypothetically decides to go with coaster wise, as long as it is good...If a ride is good, then the seating position, manufacturer etc doesn't really matter. I guess a Mega Lite would be a good thing to have, or any sort of B&M looper. As for "Thrill Rides", I wouldn't bother expanding those offerings for a little while yet, since there aren't really many other good ones on the market that warrant installation, or are different enough from what is already on the coast.
But has anyone heard of a wood coaster having a loop?
Yup: http://rcdb.com/id584.htm Edited by Gazza

I'm all for a Megalite, they are reasonably affordable, would appeal to broad ridership and are supposed un-bloody-believable - all the fun of a hyper without having to build a 200 foot plus lift hill. I'm looking forward to riding one in June. Stuff all that, I'm just trying to justify what I want there. I think a Maverick style coaster would be a good fit for Dreamworld (imagine one winding through the forest) but unfortunately that would be way too pricey for an Australian park (I think Cedar Point paid at least $21 million USD).

Edited by downunder

I think a Maverick style coaster would be a good fit for Dreamworld (imagine one winding through the forest) but unfortunately that would be way too pricey for an Australian park (I think Cedar Point paid at least $21 million USD).
IMO something like maverick would be more suited to MW In the Western Area. Maybe DW could get a Decent Eurofighter placed somewhere in gold Rush country.

^ In terms of a new flat ride, a Top Scan'd be what I'd go for too. My first was Samurai at Thorpe Park last year followed by Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland. This ride provides a thrilling and highly enjoyable experience without being TOO intense IMHO. Samurai was noteable also for my first sighting of (while queuing) chavs who smoked and spat in line! Beautiful. :P

Edited by Gold Coaster

Yeah I did understand that you were talking about style not theme but I personally think a Maverick style coaster would be better at MW, though I do like the idea of it winding through the Bushland at DW, low to the ground. I think it will take something like this to get the park back off the ground.

The other think I liked about Maverick was that the coaster was like a best of compilation where they have taken the best bits from many coasters and put them into one coaster, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. And a great coaster doesn't have to be huge, I've ridden most of the biggest but 3 of my top 5 are around the 100 foot mark. I'm all for a full on indoor coaster, although some didn't, I really liked the Flight Of Fear coasters (similiar to Rock n Roller Coaster), and I think a Eurofighter loans itself well to an indoor concept.

Brent, I'm sure you'd agree with me that even something like Knoebbel's Phoenix would be a more than worthy addition to any of our parks. Something like Maverick would be nice but I feel more in the need of a woodie than anything else. If it has to be compact, fine, but let's get one that packs a punch and has surprising amounts of airtime like that one does. So long as it's not one of those Volare deathtraps hey! :P *shudder* Talk about a Zipper-on-coaster-track! -----------------> p9657.jpg

Edited by Gold Coaster

Or heck, a Flying Turns. We did one on the trip, can't remember what the name of it was but it was a lot of fun and would certainly be an Australian first.
I thought the flying turns at Knobels was the only one (Hence them making a big deal out of reviving a long lost coaster type) and still wasn't finished yet, so how would have you ridden it?

You quoted that but I'd already taken it from my post 5 minutes earlier. We'd done a Mack Bobsleds at King's Dominion - Avalanche, that's what I meant. We WALKED the layout of Flying Turns though...well, up then ran DOWN it pretending to be a coaster car hehe :P Does that count? :P

Edited by Gold Coaster

Brent, I'm sure you'd agree with me that even something like Knoebbel's Phoenix would be a more than worthy addition to any of our parks. Something like Maverick would be nice but I feel more in the need of a woodie than anything else. If it has to be compact, fine, but let's get one that packs a punch and has surprising amounts of airtime like that one does. So long as it's not one of those Volare deathtraps hey! :P *shudder* Talk about a Zipper-on-coaster-track! -----------------> p9657.jpg
Knoebels Phoenix would be sensational from an enthusiast point of view but I'm not sure how the general public would feel about a ride that threatens to throw you out of the train that many times. I'd buy a season pass to Dreamworld if they had something like that because I'd be there frequently. I did a POV of Flying Turns, I ran down with my camera going. Robb seems to think Flying Turns will be a glorified kiddie bobsled rather than the near death experience I would be hoping for. Damn I want to go back to Knoebels. Doing trip reports on TPR makes me go all maudlin. Zamperla Volare's belong in the iron semlters of Port Kembla, they are like Jigsaw from Saw designed a coaster.

• 2 months later...

I would like to see Australia get its first B&M rollercoaster. I would also like Dreamworld to get a stratocoaster, you know, like Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka. Maybe an S&S Screamin' Swing or Sky Swat would make a perfect addition for Dreamworld. They could even upgrade Wipeout by replacing the curret model (Vekoma Wakiki Wave Super Flip) or a bigger model (Huss Giant Top Spin). I haven't been to Dreamworld yet, but I heard tons of good stuff about it. I wish Sydney had such fantastic amusement parks as the Gold Coast. ;)

OMG a slingshot :blink: sorry got excited. Slingshots r to good!!!!GET A SLINGSHOT!!!!!I would put my little bro on to show him what he really should be afraid of.he wont even ride the god damn dragon flyer at adventure world in perth!!!! Anyway thanks and oh of course my tagline- Adventure World...Its a SCREAM!!!post-2683-1242532346.jpgThe dragon Flyer!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was being googly, and I happened to come across a piece of info I have been after for a while...the cost of a Mega Lite. This page quotes Piraten as being over 55 Million DKK, which puts in a sort of $13 - $14 Mil AUD cost range. They should seriously go out and buy one at that price, its not that much more than Motocoaster, and having something that is known to be an excellent experience in its own right will do a lot more for the park in the long term than some of the other short term gimmicks they try.

Are there any more pics of that ride somewhere Gazza? I certainly am hoping Dreamworld does install a major ride next year as it will have been 3 years since Motocoaster. It seems to be the schedule they normally stick to when it comes to major capital investment. I just hope they give us a true theme park ride/coaster and something which doesn't disappoint as much as certain previous additions. I can't handle another 3 years of disappointment