Whitewater World Video

Gazza

Thats awesome, i'll be looking at it. Just a question though, the quality is not the best. Now I know this is youtube, and I don't have any experience with loading stuff onto youtube, but was just wondering if your able to upload a higher quality version onto Youtube? As I am not sure if your aware but Youtube now offer a higher quality option for those videos that are available in HQ. Compression sucks!

To answer a couple of questions: -No, I haven't done any courses. -The footage started life as video from my digital camera, so its not that great. If you want to utilise the youtube HQ option then the footage needs to be good in the first place. I might as well post a few points about my visit. -It is hillarious the way the slide surfacing has just been attacked by the water in the relatively short time the park has been open...Anywhere that water touches is faded and chalky looking. The only slides still good are the ones in Pipeline Plunge....Whitewater West FTW. -After spending another day there (Last day there was opening year) you sort of realise that WnW really does have significantly more to do. WWW sort of has the same sitation as MW, where you have a selection of good quality stuff, where can do everything pretty early, then its just a case of re riding favourites till you want to leave , whereas at WnW it can take hours to progressively work through everything on offer. -Previously I thought (aside from 90 degrees of extra helix) Tornado and Green Room were the same....but you can see that visibly less water runs into the funnel....Water is drained off through vents in the bottom of the slide just prior to the drop, which means there isn't much of a 'bump' of water (Or none at all if conditions are right) -The slide operators are inconsistent. One of them was really good, and was combining 2+2 on the green room, so the queue went fast and the rafts went higher. Later on, another one was happy to have the queue stretch down 3 flights, sending down 2 at a time. -I know WWW are all for water conservation, but can they a least have their grass a bit longer to make it nicer to walk and sit on? -The BRO has starting lights now, but still no timing system :( -If you haven't tried it, do the little rippers with 2 people, it works much better that way.

Edited by Gazza

I will be touring the parks over the next few weeks with a DVD handycam, so look forward to some more vids coming our way. For the record - to save answering them later, I use sony vegas movie studio platinum, sony cinescore for music backing, and sony DVD architect to compile and prepare the videos. (And yes, my handycam is Sony also - for those of you keeping track - i am a firm believer in Sony's high quality video capabilities) Anyone else use them? once you've used it, you won't go back....

Haha cadboy, it was WMM I used, I just made sure I steered clear of lame transitions and the trademark white text on blue background titles people use. It was a pain though, because for the timelapse bits the only speed increase option is x2, which can only be applied once per clip, so to get it as fast as seen I had to keep stepping through WMM, making a new final file and speeding it up progressively each time. PS, did anyone notice that on the Green Room, the raft at one point was going uphill, away from the exit of the funnel....weird.

Edited by Gazza

Unfortunately Alex, I believe Sony lacks in two areas. Televisions and car sound equipment. There TV's are fairly expensive when they offer the same amount of features as Samsung or LG. Apparently (could be wrong so sorry if it is) but Sony tvs too have a high failure rating as well. As for the car audio... well they simply just don't research, use cheap chinese circuit components and haven't even upgraded there x-plod range which has been out for a long time (pioneer, clarion, kenwood etc. release a newer much better model of there products every 12 months). As for software and home entertainment products (excluding tvs) I rate 100%. Can't wait to see you video's.

To answer a couple of questions: -The footage started life as video from my digital camera, so its not that great. If you want to utilise the youtube HQ option then the footage needs to be good in the first place.
I realized that Gazza, but it's not the actual video quality which is the problem, it's the Youtube compression settings which are bugging me mostly these days with Youtube clips. The HQ versions compression is questionable, but much easier on the eyes than the SD version of Youtube Clips.
Anyone else use them? once you've used it, you won't go back....
For me, for Audio it's ProTools, video is Final Cut. I rarley do any Dvd/ CD authoring, I prefer to keep them digital, if I want to watch anything, it's on my iPod or Apple Tv.

Haha cadboy, it was WMM I used, I just made sure I steered clear of lame transitions and the trademark white text on blue background titles people use.
Haha good work disquising it. Those transitions and text slides really downgrade the quality of the film. Good to see it is still the typical themepark video program :P

Hahaha, Nev, the Sony SPOS was a great video. I never said I was a fanboy. I believe sony's attempts at still photography are pretty lacklustre, and the pinnacle of that is their Alpha model. Studio soundwise, they are great. Car sound is another matter.

Unfortunately Alex, I believe Sony lacks in two areas. Televisions and car sound equipment. There TV's are fairly expensive when they offer the same amount of features as Samsung or LG. Apparently (could be wrong so sorry if it is) but Sony tvs too have a high failure rating as well. As for the car audio... well they simply just don't research, use cheap chinese circuit components and haven't even upgraded there x-plod range which has been out for a long time (pioneer, clarion, kenwood etc. release a newer much better model of there products every 12 months). As for software and home entertainment products (excluding tvs) I rate 100%. Can't wait to see you video's.
Well, as i said, I am an advocate for sony VIDEO systems. I said nothing of their Car Audio (which I agree was great when it was released, but nothing has been done since to continue the brand), however I have to disagree with you on the TV issues. The Bravia engine IS superior. The current Bravia generation was designed with blu-ray in mind, and it may not be noticeable to a lot of people, but there is a BIG difference. The reason Samsung offer the same features as sony is because Samsung flat panels are manufactured in the same place as the Sony flat panels... yep - the Sony Bravia plant... Samsung screens are made by Sony. I had the opportunity when I used to work in north ryde to tour Sony's head office. I was privileged to be able to see through their theatre (yes, they have their own theatre), and also their demonstration centre. A "comparison model" was lined up against a bravia. Both LCD and Plasma were tested against "competitor brands" which were straight off the retail shelves. The only modification that had been made was a piece of electrical tape over the brandname on the unit's bezel. We were encouraged to plug anything possible into the video inputs for these, using a split ('y') cable, that would deliver the EXACT same signal to both screens. Side by side - there is a very big difference, but you cannot compare them in stores for the simple fact that some stores MODIFY the standard settings on certain TVs, depending on which model is more desirable to sell.... brightness, contrast, colour balances, or even just those different modes like "theatre" or "sports". You can never be sure exactly which settings you are looking at. I visited one unnamed store on two different occasions, 2 months apart. The sales guy did not recognise me, and while I provided him with the same "needs", he recommended two different units, and sold them both to me on the same benefits... while putting down the other brand, which played switcheroo the next time i visited. No, I didn't buy from him. But in the end - its all down to personal preference. I think Bravia is a superior image, but I don't have a need for it. I bought a samsung LCD as my main tv, because it was cheaper. I do however use a smaller bravia in my studio, which is slowly getting put back together after my move.

I don't blame you not buying from the guy. I don't blame anyone not buying what a salesman suggest from outlets such as Harvey Norman, Domain, etc. I know Sony and Samsung share parts, as does LG, yet there trying so hardly to hide this. I don't remember what the percentage was and where I heard it from but some percentage of LG and Samsung will sometime have the Sony screen, very rare but does often happen. As for TV's, the one's currently in from room is an LG 50 inch (new) 1080P from JB, and my projector is Epson supporting 1080P as well. As for car audio, I honestly don't agree with you at all, they NEVER were good with some of their first head units not even have the MOSEFT component. Since my info about TV's was only knowledge from people who HAVEN'T experienced what you have, I must say impressive. :)