Server downtime this afternoon

Richard

Over the past 2 days it may have been i have had users from parks email me ask me on msn how come parkz isn't work is it working for you and i said no its not every time i try and access the site instead of the home page im given a different page (bellow). even today i still get that page. but obviously i found a way to access the site to be posting well i went to my email account and opened up a PM warning email went to the link on the page and i took me to my account page but if i press home in the site i get that same page bellow as in there is some error with the home page only on the site. Could anyone shed some light on this?

post-2323-1235600332_thumb.jpg

PS, this is gonna sound really nerdy, but do you have a photo of what Parkz looks like from the outside.
Can't say I do have any photos, but the server looks roughly like this: http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/p...;l=en&s=bsd Just picture it in a rack with about a hundred others like it, in a room with about fifty racks and that's where it lives.

Over the past 2 days it may have been i have had users from parks email me ask me on msn how come parkz isn't work is it working for you and i said no its not every time i try and access the site instead of the home page im given a different page (bellow).
I love the (presumably) google search bar in the top right - "do to take a screenshot". CTRL-SHIFT-PRINT SCREEN (or PRT SC) then paste into paint (or other imaging program).
I had people coming onto MSN too and asking me what was up. I was just sitting there thinking "I know as much as you do" Glad to have it all Hunky Dory again!
Must admit, one of them was me. I originally messaged Michael (pin) but got no response, then about 5 minutes after I found out what was going on, Michael messaged me asking me what was happening... Its funny to see how many people suffered withdrawals during the downtime. I came online all full of inspiration to write my views on HWSD and JR now that I had experienced both, and couldn't, and now i've lost the inspiration. Richard, when you say "co-located", does this mean you're now running two servers at different data centres hosting the same stuff? or did I read that wrong?

Must admit, one of them was me. I originally messaged Michael (pin) but got no response, then about 5 minutes after I found out what was going on, Michael messaged me asking me what was happening...
Will say I did that as a kind of joke thing in response to you asking. It was quite funny though having people ask me if I knew what was happening. I made an assumption a short while after that the fact the host address also wasn't working meant the server wasn't operational for whatever reasons.

Alex, you were one of the many people asking me. I should have done the typical ride operator speil: "Parkz is currently experiencing a operational delay. We do not have a time frame as to when we will be operational again, you could try coming back later in the day and hopefully we will be operational. Please feel free to experience one of our other attractions..."

Richard, when you say "co-located", does this mean you're now running two servers at different data centres hosting the same stuff? or did I read that wrong?
Not quite that fancy yet. Colocation is just a term for when a server is owned by one party (i.e. us) and stored in a rented space in another party's data centre. This is as opposed to either running a server from your own Internet connection, or renting a server within a data centre. We've got two servers in the new centre, but they're running independently of one another. Sometime down the track I would like some sort of redudancy; ideally the way to go would be to have the site mirrored in the US, both so that when we have that occasional inevitable downtime, but more importantly, so that international visitors can access the site at the sort of speeds we're accustomed to. Also for anyone interested, as far as data redundancy goes, the server automatically backs itself up daily, and the server's HDDs are in RAID configuration to safeguard against disc failures.

I love the (presumably) google search bar in the top right - "do to take a screenshot". CTRL-SHIFT-PRINT SCREEN (or PRT SC) then paste into paint (or other imaging program).
Ha ha ha ha ha well i had never done a screen shot before nor needed to do one so i just googled it like every thing else and straight away got the answer i needed. Then after posting i opened up picture and realized my google search was still in the task bar and i thought to my self now i wonder who will be the first person to pick up on that and CONGRATULATIONS* Alex your our lucky winner. (*no prize will be awarded to our lucky winner)

Good to see the site back! Actually had me worried for a bit as I never saw this thread before the downtime. Just curious, how much are you out of pocket for the colo itself? I'm looking at chipping in for one with a few friends to use as a gaming server and whatever else I decide it can be used for. That and how does the actually handle during 'peak' times? Another forum I visit that uses Invision Boards craps out if it gets a few too many hits.

Alex, you were one of the many people asking me.
Pretty sure I did say that....
Must admit, one of them was me.
Yep, I did....
We've got two servers in the new centre, but they're running independently of one another.
SO are you running them high availability \ load balancing? or is the data based on each different and separate from the other.