SFMM or Cedar Point?

cadboy

SFMM or Cedar Point?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you like better SFMM or Cedar Point?

• SFMM
    • Cedar Point

For those who are lucky enough to have visited the two themeparks with the most rollercoasters in the world, which did you find best and why? Which has the better ride selection? I hope I can visit these two parks in the near future and experience them for myself. Cheers

Edited by cadboy

I know I'll probably get shot down for saying this... but I think SFMM is actually the better park when compared coaster-to-coaster. For me the vast majority of the rides at Cedar Point just didn't have a massively exciting vibe to them - excluding MF and TTD of course. For example, while Raptor was a fun ride it doesn't match the force of Batman running well. Mantis is fun but it lacks the huge scale and massive layout of Riddlers' at SFMM. Both parks have mine rides, and again I think SFMM's jolts you around a bit more and has a far more creative layout. I'd definitely rank Blue Streak above the Woodies at SFMM, but with the new Terminator coaster going up I think the woddie comparisons might change. In the 'big and unique' category - SFMM has Tatsu, Deja Vu and X, which on the whole I think are longer and more fun than CP's TTD, MF and their smaller Wicked Twister. While Dragster is definitely one of the most amazing rides I've been on, I think I discovered whole new feelings on Tatsu, and on the one occasion that X has actually worked for me, I think the unique experience of that far outweighs the "let's just go really tall and really fast" approach that CP seems to have. Another small factor is the history side of things - there's the experience and nostalgia of riding Revolution and Colossus at SFMM that you just can't get at Cedar Point. And aside from all of that, SFMM is definitely more accessible from Los Angeles as Cedar Point is from Cleveland (the closest airport). The staff and operations at both parks are diabolical, and neither have any amazing theming to write home about, so I think any comparisons really have to be made by just looking at the rides and in my opinion Magic Mountain comes up tops. rich

For me Cedar Point - I love the location and Maverick, Millennium Force, and Top Thrill Dragster are all in my top ten. I also really like Raptor, Magnum, Gemini, and Wicked Twister. I think SFMM has the best Flyer and Stand Up in the world but they are coaster types I'm not personally a big fan of, only X (haven't done X2) is in my top 10 from SFMM. I really like hypers, Goliath is very good but I have it way behind most hypers I have been on - 4 Intamins, 4 B & M's & 3 Arrows, but still the preference thing comes in, Goliath is more about helixes than airtime. I think if you were grading all the coasters and came up with an average SFMM would be slighly ahead, but they are two parks where coaster preferences and how much you value park atmosphere come into it and that's what puts CP firmly ahead for me. I agree with Nev CP is much more of a pain in the butt to get to.

Edited by downunder

Ive only been to SFMM out of the two, but I personally think SFMM wins. Cedar Point looks amazing too but if I could choose to go to one of the parks, id go to SFMM again. It just had this vibe about it.. Such an awesome atmosphere and such great place. It really ****s over all of our parks. Haha. Besides, with SFMM having X2 and Tatsu, they are 2 coasters with a pretty big wow factor and they are hard to beat. BTW scream rocks! :) It may be a parking lot coaster, but its freaking awesome no matter what anyone says <3

BTW scream rocks!
Ahh WHAT!!! :o That would have the be the worst B&M I have ridden... although I if it had to come to Australia I wouldn't complain lol. I think majority of there coasters have a wow factor... simply because we don't have that kind of variety in Australia. Well I have only even been to Magic Mountain and out all parks I have visited I enjoy the most. The only downfall... going up, down and around that mountain all bloody day!

I didn't mind Scream, it was fun, though I do note that floorless coasters are ten times better in the front row. I've become a bit blase about B & M looping coasters because they are so ubiquitous, and they often have very similiar layouts - first drop, vertical loop, and so on. Also I prefer airtime coasters over loopers, my top ten really shows my hand: 1. Phoenix 2. Boulder Dash 3. El Toro 4. Superman Ride OF Steel (SFNE) 5. Maverick 6. Top Thrill Dragster 7. X 8. Millennium Force 9. Behemoth 10. Ravine Flyer II Wow, that's only two coasters with inversions.

Edited by downunder

In my opinion Cedar Point is way better than SFMM because of the quality of the rides, I found the staff friendly and CP has a great atmosphere. But me personally im a fan of smaller parks such as Indianna Beach, Dollywood and my favourite Knoebels The Worst B & M i have been on is Iron Wolf at SFGAmerica, However Majority of B & M Loopers are great especially the ones with the straight first drop ie Wildfire at Silver Dollar City and Medusa at SFDiscovery Kingdom.

^Hey Jacob - I'm insane that is two coasters with inversions, I've fixed that. Now I'm off to give myself a triple uppercut. BTW which one do you prefer, you've been to both?
I like both parks for different reasons. I think overall SFMM has a better selection of unique ride experiences but CP has a really great atmosphere. I dont think I would rate one over the other as overall they both offer is a very good experience, but both of the experiences are unique to each of the parks.

In my opinion Cedar Point is way better than SFMM because of the quality of the rides, I found the staff friendly and CP has a great atmosphere. But me personally im a fan of smaller parks such as Indianna Beach, Dollywood and my favourite Knoebels The Worst B & M i have been on is Iron Wolf at SFGAmerica, However Majority of B & M Loopers are great especially the ones with the straight first drop ie Wildfire at Silver Dollar City and Medusa at SFDiscovery Kingdom.
Ed, I just realised that there is a type of B & M I haven't been on and that's the sit down looper, I have to admit Wildfire looks very good. Ditto on Knoebels, I went there last year, it was excellent. One big thing Cedar Point does have over SFMM is that it can offer a complete resort experience, staying onsite is brilliant.

Particularly when you're staying in the old wing of Hotel Breakers, arrive with the county's power off and have to negotiate the hallways with a torch! :) SFMM has some great coasters, CP has a brilliant atmosphere and the resort. I couldn't choose between them easily but guess I'd go for the Californian park because of Tatsu.

Edited by Gold Coaster