Why i believe a Disneyland in Australia wouldnt work

Everyone hears rumors about a Disneyland being built in Australia. i honestly think its a great idea, as i love Disney parks and have visited many in my life. But i really dont think it would work down here. Here are my reasons: 1) Why would anyone travel all the way to Australia, to visit our disneyland, when they can travel, to their own disney parks. Americans wouldnt want to travel out here to visit disneyland, when they could visit their own top notch disney parks, with less than half the travelling time and much cheaper. Same with Japanese and their fantastic parks, and hong Kong(Never been to it, but looks abit of a flop IMO) 2) Our population is too small. Consider Disneyland in California, there population is around 30 million, with constant visitors and we are 20 million as a country. 3) Where to put it? I love the Gold Coast, not just because of the theme parks, but the weather and resorts are great, and theirs also alot to do, and its close for people to go. This attracts visitors, domestically and internationally. i could b wrong but brisbane/gold coast/Cairns etc and Sydney would the be the most popular places for tourists to visit. Everyone wants a theme park in Sydney, but look at Wonderland, that was running at a loss and that was a fantastic theme park! Luna park is opening and closing. The Gold coast would be a good place to have it, but then more competition on "our own" theme parks. These are just my ideas and opinions. i would love to hear what people think. But think about where all these disney parks are now, America x2, Japan, Hong Kong and Paris. Dont you think they would of considered one in Australia many times already? Cheers JD

JD, To be honest, I don't think anybody on here would disagree with you anyway...every time Disney comes up the consensus is that we aren't big enough and don't get the tourist numbers.

but look at Wonderland, that was running at a loss and that was a fantastic theme park!
LOL, not it wasn't. Any park that has a Vekoma Boomerang as its flagship coaster, and doesn't build new rides for 10 years automatically qualifies as crap in my books.

True. Doesn't stop me having strange withdrawals between trips from not being able to ride Boomerangs ;) They're something that would definitely appeal to the general public even these days too. Most wouldn't have done much if any overseas coasters and it's a new experience that could be fit into a small area of land...

LOL, not it wasn't. Any park that has a Vekoma Boomerang as its flagship coaster, and doesn't build new rides for 10 years automatically qualifies as crap in my books.
I dont disagree with you about the demon being quite crap, but it did have a quality woodie in the bush beast. The reason for not building any rides was because of them making no money, and selling it to that sunway company and they invested nothing into it, which showed it was going to go no where. Although you cant say the park was crap. IMO it did have some fairly decent rides in Bountys revenge, bush beast, maybe space probe and a rapid ride. i could honestly say, i would have a better day at wonderland than at dreamworld.

I would rather see our existing theme parks add some better coasters similar to Disney coasters (Crush's coaster, Aerosmith coaster, Space mountain etc)
Don't forget Expidition Everest and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Now they would be two pretty sweet themed coasters to have in Australia.

The reason for not building any rides was because of them making no money, and selling it to that sunway company and they invested nothing into it, which showed it was going to go no where.
But that is circular logic. Part of the reason they made no money was because they never built any new stuff, so the public lost interest and attendances wouldn't have grown.
Although you cant say the park was crap.
Can and will, out of the big Australian parks, it was my least favourite.
IMO it did have some fairly decent rides in Bountys revenge, bush beast, maybe space probe and a rapid ride. i could honestly say, i would have a better day at wonderland than at dreamworld.
For all the crap DW gets, it still manages to be a better park...It has more coasters, a rapids ride that is fairly even (plus other water rides), a better drop tower , and a better 'big swinging ride' Bush beast is probably at the bottom of the list of the Woodies I have ridden anyhow.

I'd be really happy just to get a Disney water park or even a Hollywood Studios clone to give Movie World some competition. If it was something smallish in land size and budget - scaled to local population and our tourist numbers - but still had the brand, that'll make the current players step up. And here, we have a climate which allows for year-round operation like the corporation is used to.

Ok - here we go:

1) Why would anyone travel all the way to Australia, to visit our disneyland, when they can travel, to their own disney parks. Americans wouldnt want to travel out here to visit disneyland, when they could visit their own top notch disney parks, with less than half the travelling time and much cheaper. Same with Japanese and their fantastic parks, and hong Kong(Never been to it, but looks abit of a flop IMO) Everyone wants a theme park in Sydney, but look at Wonderland, that was running at a loss and that was a fantastic theme park! The Gold coast would be a good place to have it, but then more competition on "our own" theme parks.
Why travel? In true Disney fashion, any Disney Down Under would be uniquely themed to our culture to make it different to the other parks. It would be an icon in itself, and Australia as a tourist destination is pretty high on the worldwide list, so this is just another factor to tip the scales. Wonderland was NOT running at a loss. That is all i am going to say on that. As to being a fantastic theme park - I would say up to about 1995'ish. Sunway was the ruination... so if you want to claim it as fantastic - pick an era.
Any park that has a Vekoma Boomerang as its flagship coaster, and doesn't build new rides for 10 years automatically qualifies as crap in my books.
Well to be honest, the Bush Beast was always considered the flagship coaster. Demon was the newest, and for it's time it did the job. Prior owners staying in place - they would have continued to add and expand. Yes - under Sunway, it was a very poor job.
I dont disagree with you about the demon being quite crap, but it did have a quality woodie in the bush beast. Although you cant say the park was crap. IMO it did have some fairly decent rides in Bountys revenge, bush beast, maybe space probe and a rapid ride. i could honestly say, i would have a better day at wonderland than at dreamworld.
When constructed, Bush beast was quality. Unfortunately, it, unlike it's Canadian cousin was not taken care of and over time, it became more painful to ride. It was still great until the day it fell, but overall, it doesn't qualify as Quality, especially if you've ridden any of the bigger ones in north america. Colossus is my personal favourite in that department.
For all the crap DW gets, it still manages to be a better park...It has more coasters, a rapids ride that is fairly even (plus other water rides), a better drop tower , and a better 'big swinging ride' Bush beast is probably at the bottom of the list of the Woodies I have ridden anyhow.
You have to be fair and compare apples with apples though Gazza, Compare Dreamworld of 2000 with Wonderland of 2000, and you're pretty close to being on par.

I'd say around 1999 was Dreamworld's Peak. Tower Of Terror still had the Pre Show. Giant Drop had staff in costume and looked great. Wipeout, Thunderbolt, Village Oval... god I had so many memories around that time. And it will ALWAYS be the Gravitron to me, not the Vortex :D Same with the Reef Diver and Enterprise... 2000 was still good... but 1999 was where it was at!

Wonderland was NOT running at a loss. That is all i am going to say on that.
Alex, i just have ask you if you will eventully going to tell us what really happen to wonderland. You keep giving clues and that. I am not pressuring you to tell us (why would you listen to me anyway) but just wanted to know weather you will tell eventully. By the way i think a disney theme park would work at sydney. People are wanting a theme park in sydney so badly and look at jamberoo. They are doing fine in sydney so disney can do it Thanks, Wondercam Edited by wondercam

They are doing fine in sydney so disney can do it
No they can't.....Jamberoo is doing fine because the attendance numbers needed to make a water park work aren't that high. Heck they can make a case for a water park in Carins to be viable with just 250,000 per year. On the other hand Disney parks cost much more to build and run, and as such they need several million of visitors per year to be viable...far more than the Gold Coast theme parks put together.

The Tower of Terror Pre-show wasn't really a pre-show, but what happened was that an employee in themed uniforms ran the 2 groups through the tunnels (there was an extra tunnel which isn't seen these days, which went from where the Reptar entry is today to the current themed tunnels). I remember the first tunnel having green, blue and other neon lights and other cool effects, but is happy to be corrected). You then got to the 3 lifts, watched a video about the catastrophe, then walked through the fake elevators which have the city scene in there. After this, your 2 groups were put into groups, where both groups boarded the elevators, where the elevators took the groups upto the top level. From here, group 1 would go into the loading bay, whilst the second group would be held in the holding bay, where the door is that sometimes opens and closes. From here it was the same experience as it is today. And with the Giant Drop, I never experienced it in it's Hay day, but I believe the themeing was quite well done, and even included a pre-show video. The staff also used to wear "Giant Oil Co" uniforms with hard hats and whatnot.

• 6 months later...
I think a Disney park would work best if they kept it small and unique in design (not a Magic Kingdom clone).
As i have previously stated above, i found the following article most interesting: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/11/...peter-pans.html It would be perfect if Disney were still intending to do something here (in Australia). People keep saying our population is too small for a Magic Kingdom style park if it were built here, but if something like Neverland was built instead it would attract many loyal Disney fans to flock here to check it out.