Wet and Wild 2008 Attendance

T-bone

Hi Guys. Now we all have heard many reports of Wet and Wild having reasonably heavy attendance during 2008. Well the TEA/ ERA 2008 Attraction attendance report has been released. The report lists the Top 20 most visited Theme Parks in different categories. Now Australia doesn't have much of a mention in the report, except for Wet and Wild, which came in 7th on the list of Top 20 most visited Water Parks worldwide, with a recorded attendance figure of 1,025,000. AQUATICA, in Orlando, Florida came in at 8, with an attendance of 950,000, and Sunway Lagoon in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia coming in 6th, with a recorded attendance of 1,100,00. The most attended Water Park worldwide according to the report was Typhoon Lagoon at Walt Disney World resort, Orlando, Florida, which recorded an attendance of 2,059,000. Anyway, the report is here- http://www.teaconnect.org/etea/TEAERA2008.pdf for anyone interested.

Good to see WnW still up there...They seemed to have slipped a little bit in terms of rankings, mainly due to those Asian water parks opening. It's interesting to note that WWW could make the top 20 if they could get 10,000 extra in per year.

How much bigger land wise is Typhoon Lagoon compared to WnW?
After some rough measurements, I discovered Typhoon Lagoon is only 75% of the size of WnW....doesn't feel it though. As a water park though, its the best themed one you'll ever visit, but there aren't that many rides, and a couple are a little bit lame. Edited by Gazza

Sunway Lagoon in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia coming in 6th, with a recorded attendance of 1,100,00.
I'm sad to hear that as Sunway Lagoon is owned by the pricks who closed down and sold off Wonderland. I was hoping they would fail. In regards to Typhoon Lagoon - I agree it seems like a great themed waterpark. I particularly love the marooned boat on the top of the mountain which lets off spouts of water. Gazza when was the last time this park introduced a new attraction? Edited by GoGoBoy

I was just looking over the websites of both Disney waterparks (Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon). The parks are obviously brilliantly presented and I love the consistent theming for each individual slide and pool areas. I find it interesting though that they do not add many new attractions, although Crush 'n Gusher in 2005 was obviously a large (and very fun looking!) addition. I guess Disney is not known for the frequency it adds new rides but rather the quality when it does occur. In some ways I almost wish Wet 'n' Wild would adopt this policy rather than adding a new slide every year which is either not up to standard or is poorly themed. There has to be a balance between the need to add new attractions and the quality and presentation of those attractions. I'm just wondering whether the 2 Disney waterparks have enough on offer from a visitors perspective?

^ Yeah I will be there in August with a friend ... both look good but may only do one or the other. I guess Blizzard Beach is going to have more to do and will still have excellent theming... and then there's Aquatica which looks like it's worth doing simply for those transparent slides through the dolphin pool... will be there from August 1-16

Edited by Gold Coaster

I guess Disney is not known for the frequency it adds new rides but rather the quality when it does occur.
I think with the Disney water parks though, It's that they don't need to keep adding attractions to keep attracting visitors. The whole WDW resort is the draw card, and the water parks are just something you'd 'add on'.
I almost wish Wet 'n' Wild would adopt this policy rather than adding a new slide every year which is either not up to standard or is poorly themed.
But to be honest, WnW has only ever had two well themed attractions (Terror Canyon and Calypso Beach)
I'm just wondering whether the 2 Disney waterparks have enough on offer from a visitors perspective?
I thought that Typhoon Lagoon could have had more slides, but I guess it is more of a relaxation type park, and you could spend hours on that long lazy river, or in the surf pool, or snorkelling in shark reef. I could have spent a day there, but unfortunately 2 hours is all I could spare. PS, also on the attendance report, anyone else find it hilarious WDS Paris could only manage 2.6 Million last year...how they can build a low capacity spinning coaster that regularly gets 2 hour lines, but at the same time find it viable to build a TOT with those specific visitor numbers is beyond me. Edited by Gazza