Major Jamberoo expansion plans

paauly101

Jamberoo is preparing to submit their plans for Kangaroo Island, a $20 million extension that will feature some of the world's newest and most exciting slides, to council.
Jamberoo is ready to submit their plans for 'Kangaroo island' to the council. The concept art looks amazing featuring many rides you'd expect to see at a major themepark such as Wnw so im pleased to see them heading to sydney. Rides which are in the plans : * 450-metre river rapid * Interactive play area * ProSlide Behemoth Bowl * ProSlide Dual Mammoth River slides * ProSlide Rocket water coaster * ProSlide Tornado 60 (complete with a giant lizard statue) Check out the full story & concept art @ Themepark News Direct. Thoughts? Im really excited about it. Edited by paauly101

Looks great but I dont think jamberoo should be classified as a Sydney park, as its located nearly 2 hours from sydney cbd and is in the middle of nowhere (no offence to albion park and surrounding area residents). They just need some roller coasters now haha.

The official page on it is here: http://www.jamberoo.net/the_future.php The Behemoth Bowl will be the enclosed one, so hopefully they will do lighting and sound inside. The other thing is that the Tornado appears to have a frill neck lizard climbing around the outside, seems like they got the idea from the dragon on the Tornado at Siam Park. The 'maglev' (Wish they'd stop calling it that) water coaster seems to have a pretty unique layout...It seems to have a section where you go through or over a restaurant. The notable absences I can see in these plans from earlier ones is the complex with raft slides and two cannon bowls, and the tantrum alley. Hopefully they'll work their way in at some point, but I guess if its going to take them 10 years for 6 rides it will be a long time coming. Though I can't see why they are spending all that money on a 2nd lazy river when they already have one...Granted they are saying you will be able to use it for transport, but if say WnW were to go and build a second lazy river for this purpose then I'd also see that as a waste of money and not something that will attract any new guests.

But in 10 years time waterslide technology will have advanced even further and there will be a whole host of new attractions available. Why would they lock into something 10 years in advance in the sort of industry where it's all about the latest and greatest? The plans look good but it could all be different a few years from now. Most Australian parks don't reveal their newest rides more than a few months before they open so why is Jamberoo laying it all out there?

1. Jamberoo has no competition to hide their ideas from 2. Most businesses have plans in place - 5 year, 10 year. Nothing says they can't change it. Another round of council approvals to modify existing DA's when needed, but they're not locked into this. I saw the original plans a few years ago, and there have already been changes. The good thing about budgeting for it though is if something new comes along, your cashflow has already been laid out to account for the "old" new thing, so you don't have to modify too much to buy the "new" new thing. It's good to see a park continuing on with its expansion plans in the midst of all the nay-sayers and doomsday talk of the GFC. (And no, Gazza, I'm not talking about geelong here).

• 1 year later...

Sorry to uncover an old thread but- THE TIME IS NOW; Jamberoo have submitted the plans for the tornado with the animal statue. and as i have found out from trolling they're Facebook "Sammy" told basically me (Justin Perceval) that it may not be a lizard but something with way more legs and will be named after said animal; so by adding 2 and 365 together im guessing that it'l be a huge-ass funnel web spider.

• 5 months later...

You are absolutly right about the funnel web spider. The plans they have displayed on the Jamberoo website are out of date and have since been altered which include altered theming and changes in the proposed new rides. I have been meaning to update Jamberoo Action Park's database entries on the 'Kangeroo Island' devlopment but the website keeps stuffing up.

• 4 weeks later...

In a news article in today's Illawarra Mercury about the sales & marketing director of Ocean Park Hong Kong giving advice to Jamberoo Action Park due to the announcement of Wet 'n' Wild Sydney, Jim Eddy said that once the new Kangaroo Island area is approved and built, they will have two years before they introduce another major ride. By the way, is it still possible at all to update the database entries on the website?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Some of these sorts of bits and pieces aren't quite up and running yet, but Richard is working on it! PS, it's spelled kangaroo, not kangeroo. All Australians should know that.

Ok thanks. I got a 'gold mine' of information on the 'Kangaroo Island' development so I thought I would update the database. Just curious because I noticed 'Shockwave' got updated lately. Yeh lol I do know how to spell 'kangaroo'. I often make spelling mistakes when typing fast.

• 1 month later...

The new 'Kangaroo Island' development now has to get (what I believe as to be final) approval by the Southern Region Joint Regional Planning Panel for construction to commence. A Southern Region Joint Regional Planning Panel meeting was held with lots of people attending to voice opinion. Traffic Management was the most worried concern. Hopefully it gets the approval!!! On another note, can someone fix up the last couple of database changes I made for Jamberoo Action Park especially the 'Kangaroo Island' development ones?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

The news may be a week late but at least you know now. I did try to submit an article to Parkz for publication on the site but only if there was an internet source confirming it. Since then, a newspaper article has confirmed it which just didn't get published on the internet. The 'Kangaroo Island' expansion has been approved by the Southern Region Joint Regional Planning Panel... ...but with heaps of strict conditions. Due to these new conditions, Dax Eddy told the local media that the expansion is now 'uncertain'. They are in talks with legal groups to see if the expansion is now viable. If it is and they proceed with plans, they will need to gain a construction certificate to commence construction. The rides to be built would include:

• [*]'Platypus River' - a Lazy River (with Action Rapids) [*]'Funnel Web Falls' - a Tornado/Abyss [*]'Kookaburra Cove' - a Rain Fortress [*]'Koala Creek' - a Kids Themed Water Play Zone [*]'Cockatoo Gorge' - an enclosed Behemoth Bowl [*]'Thunder Downunder' - an Uphill Water Raft Coaster [*] 'Emu Mountain Rapids' - a Mammoth and Tantrum Alley

Jamberoo vision in doubt A MASSIVE expansion at Jamberoo Action Park will boost visitor numbers to 500,000 per year and mark the height of the theme park's development, the operators claim. General Manager Dax Eddy says the controversial $25 million upgrade will deliver significant economic and employment benefits. It also represents his and managing director Jim Eddy's ultimate vision for the park, which already draws about 350,000 people each year. "Everything we've wanted to achieve as a theme park is contained within this expansion," he said. The Kangaroo Island development features seven new family rides, including two enormous water slides known as the Tornado and Behemoth Bowl. "The direction that we go with our proposed expansion is to reduce queue times and to provide a high level of excitement in a safe manner," Mr Eddy said. All of the new rides are designed for groups. The expansion would generate an additional 100 seasonal jobs for young people and contribute about $55 million to the region's economy, he added. But the new-look theme park already appears to be in doubt, after the Joint Regional Planning Panel this week included several strict conditions in its approval. Mr Eddy said he would seek advice to see "whether the development remains viable". If it goes ahead, it will also face stiff competition from a proposed $80 million Wet 'n' Wild water park in western Sydney, which is expected to attract almost one million visitors in its first eight months. Located at Prospect, the colossal park is due to open late next year, pending approval. Mr Eddy argued that Jamberoo needed to expand in order to compete. But opponents say existing traffic issues will get worse if the development goes ahead. "If you increase the volume of cars, that's going to make the traffic worse, not better," said Jamberoo resident Nick Dettmann.

The article was published last Friday, two to three days after approval was granted. A poll was commissioned by the Illawarra Mercury asking the question 'Is the expansion of Jamberoo Action Park a good thing?'. Current Results - Yes: 83.3%, No: 16.7%. You can vote here - http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/polls/?page= The strict conditions are listed in JRPPPanelMeetingMinutes2011STH001Endorsed.pdf at http://jrpp.nsw.gov.au/DevelopmentRegister/tabid/62/ctl/view/mid/424/JRPP_ID/563/language/en-AU/Default.aspx Here's the 'gold mine' of information I refered to in previous posts - http://www.kiama.nsw.gov.au/ftp/ It has everything about it...well since they last updated it in March. Ignore "FarmgateLaunch" and "NBN" in the link's webpage. (Those two are links to National Broadband Network and other council stuff). The only good news out of all this (in a way) is that the Racing Cars, for now, won't cease operation.

• 7 months later...

Action park wins right to expand rides By Shannon Tonkin Published in the 'Illawarra Mercury' on the 3rd March 2012 Jamberoo Action Park has won the right to expand the size of two key rides in the park’s planned $25million expansion. The Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP) yesterday signed off on plans to lengthen the Tornado ride by 68m and the Behemoth Bowl by 70m, and allow both rides to move their starting platform 45m uphill. The changes are among a series of modifications to the original consent conditions that were approved at Thursday’s JRPP meeting, held in Kiama. Panel members also allowed the use of a brighter colour scheme on rides, picnic shelters and buildings situated lower on the hill. But the panel’s determination was not all good news for the park’s proponents, George Eddy Holdings. Park general manager Dax Eddy said Kiama council’s request that the JRPP order the consolidation of the two separate titles that cover the park site was unreasonable and put unnecessary financial pressure on the park. A previous consent for a single house on the subdivided land would have to be relinquished under the consolidation plan. ‘‘If we lose this subdivision and the [single house] development potential, we lose a lot of asset value and, in turn, we become less attractive to the bank when it comes to lending us money,’’ he said. ‘‘This could jeopardise the development.’’ JRPP chairwoman Pam Allan yesterday told the Mercury the panel’s decision was about striking a balance. ‘‘We really appreciate the local community wants to make sure this development is as compatible as possible with the aesthetics of their valley,’’ she said. ‘‘We do want the project to be a commercial success [and] we’re not unsympathetic to the fact it’s one of the most successful tourist [operations] in the region. But we want to make sure it’s compatible with the local [environment].’’ The JRPP approved the original expansion, which includes seven new water-based rides, last July. Park operators later applied to modify the plans and alter or remove 24 conditions it considered too onerous

The Joint Regional Planning Panel has approved an amendment to Jamberoo Action Park's 'Kangaroo Island' expansion which will see the 'Funnel Web Falls' Tornado and 'Cockatoo Gorge' Behemoth Bowl have their starting platform moved 45m uphill. This also allows them to be extended in length by 68m (Funnel Web Falls) and 70m (Cockatoo Gorge). Due to the extended length, they have also redesigned Funnel Web Falls's route to include a 450 degree turn, two 180 degree turns, a 90 degree turn and a 45 degree turn. Cockatoo Gorge has been significantly redesigned, also due to it's extended length, which has allowed for the inclusion of two Tantrum Alleys, four 45 degree turns and a 90 degree turn. This has been the only proposed combined Tantrum Alley and Behemoth Bowl that has come to my attention. It is certainly the first in Australia to be proposed. An extra 360 degree has been added to the Tantrum Alley as part of 'Emu Mountain Rapids'. The funnel web spider theming on top of 'Funnel Web Falls' has been slightly moved and 'Cockatoo Gorge' is no longer enclosed. Extra footpaths have allowed for the 'Jamberoo Express' trackless train to be driven from the start of the original route at the Park Entrance, past the 'Bayview Huts', up and through 'Kangaroo Island', past the 'Splash Out' body waterslides, over the 'Bobsleds' and up and around the 'Taipan Huts' and 'The Taipan' to the 'The Loft' Restaurant and Function Centre where it connects up to its' original route. This allows for a complete loop of the park instead of a shuttle from the Park Entrance to 'The Loft' and back. post-1244-0-11531900-1330761205_thumb.jppost-1244-0-89720100-1330761288_thumb.jppost-1244-0-91252500-1330762142_thumb.jppost-1244-0-81314400-1330762184_thumb.jp The link below to the Joint Regional Planning Panel's Assessment Report & Recommendations includes the above attachments too. Joint Regional Planning Panel Assessment Report & Recommendations: http://www.kiama.nsw...oo-Rec-Park.pdf Edited by Jamberoo Fan