Bermuda Triangle

just to put it out there that age is NO excuse for the ride being the way it is. Splash Mountain and Pirates for example are both older then BT and they are only getting IMPROVED with age! I would love to write a bulletin article about all this crap but I'd probably get fired... I wonder if our parks stopped cutting costs and actually spent more, the revenue would follow?

As a past employee of WVTP I have to add my comments as well. All the parks have lost the love and Sea World has lost fun, excitement and entertainment factor that it used to have. I agree with the above comments. Current management just don’t care about the parks, its all about the bottom line now. Just to see how bad it is now I went to Sea World today to see what was happening. It was a depressing visit. Pirates Unleashed is a disgrace. Gone of the former glory of the ski show and the professional showmanship. I took some photos whilst I was there and you can see how the 1230 show doesn’t even fill the ski stadium. The old ski show used to fill it consistently. Who ever thought up this show needs there head read, it just doesn't flow. post-27-1273048720_thumb.jpg post-27-1273048798_thumb.jpg In an other effort to raise more revenue there is now a dispenser for fish food on the bridge next to the ski lake. What will they think of next... Dolphin food in a coke vending machine? post-27-1273048918_thumb.jpg I noticed that Dockside Tavern is now also closed, making for a very limited food & beverage offering, very disappointing. But maybe this venue will be getting a new lease on life, lets hope! post-27-1273049064_thumb.jpg Also of note is that the water park is now closed for winter, however the pools are being gutted. What's replacing them? Any ideas? post-27-1273049302_thumb.jpg post-27-1273049392_thumb.jpg Glad I didn't pay any entry fee, Sky-high skyway closed, Monorail closed due to the construction in the water park, Flume closed for maintenance, dockside closed, no train anymore, etc... post-27-1273049454_thumb.jpg On a more positive note, it is good to see some work happening on the Plaza area, new shops fronts, toilets being refurbished, gamezone area, and new furniture. post-27-1273049136_thumb.jpg post-27-1273049214_thumb.jpg post-27-1273049248_thumb.jpg Anyway, thats my rant.

I'm sorry but does anyone else think that those games look tacky and cheap and just thrown up there, its like they looked at Disney's Paradise Pier games area, went "hey that looks like a good money maker and looks like they did cheap... let's throw that in there!!" But in case they haven't noticed they look so bad Disney are ripping there's down and are actually doing them properly as a THEME park should. Now those photos, I think this could be the new ride for SW, wasn't there mention of something in the paper about them getting something? But anyway if it is there's where their putting the money and once its done they won't touch cause it, I mean who cares the public won't care, its made its money we'll just put something new in, WRONG, didn't work for SF and it won't work for them, how long will take them to figure, hopefully no enough before SW is destroyed for good. That's even if they theme it all and thats even if its a new ride or just removing something that cost them too much money.

What will they think of next... Dolphin food in a coke vending machine?
Don't give them ideas! :rolleyes:
Also of note is that the water park is now closed for winter, however the pools are being gutted. What's replacing them? Any ideas?
That would be the new kids attraction. Possibly a splash battle (or something similar). From an article last December:
a new themed attraction at Sea World for children aged between five and 12. ... Mr Fisher would not go into detail about the plans for the new Sea World attraction, but said it was 'water related' and was a 'multi-million dollar investment'. "It will appeal to families with younger children -- we felt that was something that was missing," he said.
On a more positive note, it is good to see some work happening on the Plaza area, new shops fronts, toilets being refurbished, gamezone area, and new furniture.
On a more positive note, it is good to see that they are increasing their upcharge opportunities. :rolleyes: .

In an other effort to raise more revenue there is now a dispenser for fish food on the bridge next to the ski lake. What will they think of next... Dolphin food in a coke vending machine?
I dunno about everyone else, but why is this a problem? You can already buy fish to feed at ray reef right?. I'm not a fan of tacky revenue raising within any theme parks, but I mean, the vending machine is just sitting there, and it doesn't clash with the surroundings...Whats actually wrong with it? If its something ugly or brash, then by all means take offence with it, but it comes across as a bit whiny to complain about a little fish food dispenser. And shock horror, kids might actually like feeding the fish. Pretty bad that 3 rides are shut....Monorail you can accept, but the other two? I'd have timed them not to clash. I really do hope Dockside is getting a refurb, and not being closed! Good riddance to the old water park! I would imagine it would be for what was mentioned at the start of the year, since the water park is the only bit of free land left and it really was past its use-by date. I look forward to it anyway....WVTP tend to always do a good job on new rides . And to finish the post, who found this section of the stadium seating amusing: post-88-1273058325_thumb.jpg Edited by Gazza

I'm sorry but does anyone else think that those games look tacky and cheap and just thrown up there, its like they looked at Disney's Paradise Pier games area, went "hey that looks like a good money maker and looks like they did cheap... let's throw that in there!!"
I agree! What did they have there before they put the sideshow alley in? Were they food outlets or something? I hate those cheap and tacky carnival games - definitely doesn't suit a park like Sea World. Save them for the easter show. Clearly just another attempt to increase revenue. The signage has also been done really cheaply too - just 2D stickers basically

I agree! What did they have there before they put the sideshow alley in? Were they food outlets or something? I hate those cheap and tacky carnival games - definitely doesn't suit a park like Sea World. Save them for the easter show. Clearly just another attempt to increase revenue. The signage has also been done really cheaply too - just 2D stickers basically
Sea World went to the effort of building a new building for them. The area used to have a bit of grass, a few trees and a band stand. I've circled the new building below. post-2117-1273106852_thumb.png
And to finish the post, who found this section of the stadium seating amusing:
I guess it's Sea World's new target market. :lol:

Just found 2 vids on Youtube that show the inside of Bermuda Triangle during the ride, one vid has the fire when it was working and the other was taken after when it has the neon. So lame how they stopped the fire, it's such a cool looking effect.

I dunno if the resort patrons would necessarily agree with this one Gazza...
You can still get into the park via that big ramp they built right?
Carnival games are a funny one for me. I don't really like them, but some of the best theme parks I have been to (Alton, Busch, IOA, DCA etc) all have them so to use the 'they belong at a carnival' is hard argument to make. What I don't like though is as you said, the way it is all just 2D. If they had made the buildings more like the ones at DCAs paradise pier with some nice timber mouldings, kept the blue colour scheme , and put timber decking down to sort of mark the area out (instead of pavers) and called it 'Boardwalk Games" instead of "Midway Games" then it could have actually had a bit of character, and sort of related to the sea/seaside theme of the park. Edited by Gazza

Just curious, I know they drain out Bermuda Triangle at the end of each day and then refill it each morning, but do they do the same procedure with Looney Toones at Movie World, and if anyone happens to know, do they do this with Pirates of the Carribean. Just curious how it works.

I'd have thought all of the water attractions aren't "drained" - just that the water flows to the bottom (little thing called "gravity" ) ? I know because pirates is multi level, at night the water level does rise in the lower bayou (where the pirate ship is) this is why there is minimal close-range detailed theming, and no animatronics at the tidal level - it would all get water damaged at night when the tanks flood. When the water locks on each ramp fail, water flows down the channels, which basically lifts the gondolas above the level of the guiderail - and guests float freely throughout the theming. (another tidbit fact from David Koenig's Mouse Tales series)

Just wanted to quickly point out that Monorails are running again, all be it with a creep speed limit through the deconstruction area of the waterpark, 2 trains running yesterday. Also Dockside is open agian, all F&B outlets have been closing for a short time to allow electrical upgrades to take place throughout the park. Expect a massive rant thread from me in the next couple days about my Seaworld Experience yesterday!

I know we sit and criticise these midway games, but at the end of the day if they are bringing money into the park then why is this such a bad thing? Yes, they may not look asthetically pleasing, but they are still turning money over. I was at seaworld last Sunday and during the lunch period you could hardly have a go because there was so many people willing to play. Maybe we just need to look at the bigger picture.

If they are making so much money then why can't they make them look like belong in sea side themed park, it honestly wouldn't be so hard if they are doing as well as you say.... and if they are doing so well then why aren't we seeing things like BT getting the repairs that are needed, or money pumped into the train starting again? Simple answer, the games maybe doing well but the money isn't going into the park but to make it look more profitable to give the managers a bigger bonus and thats it! So really if they don't look good and we see the money not going back into the park, looking at the bigger picture, yes they are a bad thing! Now I could be wrong and someone please do that the money is going back into the park, but I personally just don't see it. About Bermuda Triangle, my personal opinion, because the state it has been turned into, that it is on its way out in the near future, I have this gut feeling that they feel its past its date and are going to turn into something new, but for now because it is on the way out they couldn't care less at what state its in because they'd be fixing it only to see it go. Once again I hope my gut is wrong and we see it returned to its former glory and be around for another 50years like the rides at Disney. Just like the Ski show is iconic for the park I feel BT is as well the volcano's with fire, I'd even go so far as to stay that its an icon of the Gold Coast, everyone knows of the ride and loves it. "Disney executives were amazed the ride had been built so cheap, claiming that an identical ride in the states would have cost at least $20 million." This is from the Parkz website here, even Disney thought it was awesome, if the industry leaders loved it and were amazed at how it could be so cheaply built... why get rid of it? At its prime it still held huge lines and was great taking so many people out of the park.

Troy we are looking at the bigger picture, it's the park that's not. If it was truely about making money then we would be paying $70 entry to get into a shopping mall, but this is a theme park. It's meant to be about escapism... and the key word is THEME. As for Bermuda, it's funny, several years ago I entered a Sea World video in the TPR video contest and Robb was amazed how good a ride it looked. Only a few short years later I will be embarissed to have them ride it!

• 1 month later...

Went on the BT yesterday. The ride is a disgrace! There is a projector placed in plain view (just sitting on top of some themeing), with two pieces of wood leaning on either side of the projector Plus, many lights and effects (the UFO hasn't been fixed :angry2:) do not work. It's a shame that Sea World have let this ride go.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... according to the Sea World website the Triangle is down till the 2nd of August now. I have given up hoping that the steam and fire will come back, but hopefully the rest of the ride will be functioning like it used to :) It also states that it's not scheduled like the rest of the attractions, so we can only hope!

Edited by Spotty

• 1 month later...

Went on Bermuda today for the first time ever, was down for maintenance last month when I visited. Not sure if anything was fixed going by what condition the ride was in according to the comments here - half the UFO lights up then simply turns off, the backwards room appears to work like it should (at least to this newbie), and there seems to be no effects for the volcano, even the rope lights are off (but visible).

BT was pretty average last week. Can I just add a comment regarding the comparison to rides like pirates etc - from months ago^. BT by its very nature is going to date so much more than a ride themed to pirates etc. The models used in BT can and do look old - whereby a pirate ship or other such theme will not date. A complete retheme would be the best option for the ride - and a pretty cheap option if the ride system is in good shape.