• Chessington World of Adventures
    • Legoland
    • Alton Towers
    • Thorpe Park
    • Camelot Theme Park
    • Adventure Land
    • Drayton Manor
    • Other

Hi all, A group at our school is going on a music tour and the music master likes theme parks quite alot. I might make some suggestion to him of what theme park to go to and i thought that i could ask you guys (your the experts!). Please choose your theme park and tell me why you like it. If you choose other please post it. Remember, there are people ranging from 9-18 years old. Also tell me if there is another one worthy to go into the poll or one worthy to be taken off ;), Wondercam

Edited by wondercam

I really liked Thorpe Park. It's the only one I've been to in England and not a patch on the US parks I've seen but Stealth is fantastic and Colossus/Nemesis Inferno are really decent too. Plus everyone I talk to who has ridden SAW loves it (and says the preshow/indoors part are very well done). Personally, if I could only do 2 and hadn't been to Thorpe Park I'd do that one and Alton Towers for Air etc... Just don't know which parks you're headed near. Maybe go for ones you can spend a decent amount of time at? Which captures the imagination most?

Also tell me if there is another one worthy to go into the poll or one worthy to be taken off
I'm wondering why Blackpool isn't on the list, since it is the biggest park in the UK. By Adventure Land, did you mean Adventure Island (The small park with the pink and yellow Eurofighter) I haven't been to any so you are better of listening to Nev, Djrappa who have been to them all (Though ask me again in a couple of months) I have researched them a bit though. On the surface, Alton Towers seems like the best choice (Class act all around), Thorpe probably second (Good Thrills), Blackpool third (Apparently it is quirky and one of a kind, but it does have plenty of fun looking stuff) Chessington does have a cool spinning coaster, and suspended coaster, but other than that it seems to be pretty generic in terms of its lineup. Legoland is probably a tad below the age bracket of your group, and it would be a 'waste' if that was the only park you visited. Camelot by all accounts is terrible, and Drayon is aparently not that great either (and if you were up that way you might as well just go to Alton!) Adventure island you can apparently do in a couple of hours in an evening, its a 40 minute or so trip from London Fenchurch St Station.
I'd do that one and Alton Towers for Nemesis etc
Fixed. Anyway, where are you going to be based?

Ask at http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/ which is the UK equiv of this site. Myself between alton and thorpe. As Chessington and thorpe are owned by the same group, the faster rides that could move have move to thorpe so making Chessington the family park, and thorpe for the teenagers. Thorpe has saw, stealth, Colossus (ouch my neck ), Nemesis, rush (large power swing ) etc which are all good if you are used to Oz only coasters. Alton has rita if you like speed, air for a different ride, Olbivion (still good) . Both have the flat rides etc, but I like speed over something that makes me feel sick.

Anyway, where are going to be based?
Well thats the thing, i don't know. I would guess London or Bristol. After thinking about it, Thorpe Park would not be good idea. If one of the 9 year old's went on SAW they would need counciling for years. :P Also we want more of a family park. I think alton towers would be the best. I really want to go there. The coasters look so much better than ours (i am sure they are)! Blackpool? I do remember seeing that theme park but it looked really cramped and horrible. Mabye it was the wrong one. And yes i do mean adventure Island (is there anyway to change the POLL?) Wondercam

After thinking about it, Thorpe Park would not be good idea. If one of the 9 year old's went on SAW they would need counciling for years. tongue.gif Also we want more of a family park.
But not going to Thorpe because of Saw would've been like not going to Dreamworld because it had that Nightmares attraction. They could just skip it (Though from what I have seen, it doesn't seem much worse than any other horror themed ride) The park still does have plenty of 'family' rides though: Flying Fish, X:/ No Way Out, Loggers Leap, Tidal Wave, Rumba Rapids, Depth Charge, Storm in a Teacup, Rocky Express, Rush.....Mr Monkeys Banana Ride :P Obviously Alton towers should be your first choice, but Thorpe is the best option close to London.
Blackpool? I do remember seeing that theme park but it looked really cramped and horrible. Mabye it was the wrong one.
It is this one though I guess since it is a good 4 hours away from London it would probably be too hard.

Having been to Blackpool Pleasure Beach in 2004 I can safely say that this park is fantastic. It has the history and old world feel which we in Australia could only liken to Luna Park in its hey day. This comes from historical attractions such as The Ghost Train, Noah's Ark, The Whip and The Turtle Chase (now both sadly removed) the Wild Mouse and its incredible heritage wooden coasters, The Grand National ,Rollercoaster and Big Dipper, all 1930's vintage coasters. The Grand National is especially excellent ,being one of the few examples of a racing coaster in the world.They are immaculately kept and run beautifully. The Avalanche is the first time I have ridden a Bobsled coaster and its a type that I would love to have in an Australian themepark. Irn Bru Revolution is a one trick pony but it is over 30 years old and was the first looping coaster in Europe. The Pepsi Max Big One( an Arrow Hypercoaster) is good for the first drop , which is great but the airtime fades and the excitement fizzles to an anticlimax. Dont get me wrong its fun, but it could have been a whole lot more. You do get bang for your money though as it is a very long ride and encompasses the whole of the eastern side of the park. Blackpools Wild Mouse is of a slightly different layout than LPS and one I would say is superior. What is interesting is that this ride has a historical maker which highlights the ride as a heritage item but interestingly it also relates where rides of this type are also found around the world, one which states Dreamworld , The Gold Coast?!! Maybe they are referring to the Eureka but I am 100% fairly certain that Dreamworld has NEVER had a wooden wild mouse. The other unique ride is the Steeplechase, a rare type of coaster it was my pleasure to experience. This type of coaster has 2 person horses riding around a large figure 8 layout with several lifts racing against 4 other lanes....fun for all ages!! The other attractions (and there are so many) are mostly unique ( including a huge themed indoor carousel where the horses sway backwards and forwards as opposed to up and down) and a genuine Traver Airship swing which is just a joy to look at!! I would have liked to ride Vallhalla, a huge indoor Viking themed flume ride which is said to be one of the best of its types in the world. Alas it was a little too cold for my liking at the time of my visit and judging by how wet people were as they got off, it was a wise decision!! In summary, if you like the feel of a Luna Park on a grandiose scale, then Blackpool is for you.It has over 100 years of history (and its own resident ghost in its own Ghost train!!) and is bulging with great coasters and unique thrills and experiences that are hard to find anywhere in this day and age. It has a great feel about it and doesnt suffer from that sterile look that can inflict some newer parks. As far as stacking up against Alton Towers, Alton is definitely more modern but that does not neccesarily mean its better. My bet would be to do both if possible, but I would include Blackpool as a must do and then you could pick either Thorpe or Alton as the other as they are both similar in style and makeup. Hope this helps!! Cheers Jobe

One thing I'm interested to know why Chessington is equal first in the poll with Alton. Both parks have: -Spinning Coaster -Powered Coaster -Flume -Shooting Dark Ride -Dark Boat Ride -Wave Swinger -Aquarium -Top Spin -Pirate Ship -Rockin Tug -Playgrounds -Ball Play Area -Carousel -Overhead Monorail -Plus a bunch of small rides for under fives. Now unique to Chessington you have: -A Zoo -A Wild Mouse Coaster -A suspended Coaster -Ferris Wheel But unique to Alton you have: -Inverted Coaster -Flying Coaster -Dive Machine -Launched Coaster -Mad House -Splash Battle -Skyride -River Rapids -Scenic Gardens To me it just seems like Alton does everything Chessington does, plus a ton more.

What is interesting is that this ride has a historical maker which highlights the ride as a heritage item but interestingly it also relates where rides of this type are also found around the world, one which states Dreamworld , The Gold Coast?!! Maybe they are referring to the Eureka but I am 100% fairly certain that Dreamworld has NEVER had a wooden wild mouse.
Yes! I was looking at pics of the Mad Mouse and thought that was really odd. I remember someone posting on here that Eureka used to have different cars that tited, so maybe it used to have a wooden track of that style? Edited by Gazza

Hmm. So can we include Blackpool in the poll?? You cannot exclude this wonderful park from any poll claiming to have England's greatest theme park, and it deserves so much better than just having to be included in the "other" option. Actually the list isnt really complete either. Other good sized parks that are in the UK include Flamingoland, Fantasy Island, Lightwater Valley,Loudoun Castle and Oakwood. Maybe the poll should reflect these parks or at least impose some sort of parameter upon which park we vote on.ie the park should have more than 4 coasters etc. It would make the poll that much more valid. Anyone agree? Cheers Jobe

. Yes! I was looking at pics of the Mad Mouse and thought that was really odd. I remember someone posting on here that Eureka used to have different cars that tited, so maybe it used to have a wooden track of that style?
Gazza, I am pretty sure that Eureka has always been a steel mouse type ride. I am not sure where the researcher for the historical marker got his information from, but it was obviously wrong. Another thought occurred to me. Not knowing how long these markers have been in place, could they have referred to the Wild Mouse at Aussie World perhaps?? It isnt all that far from Dreamworld and could be an easy mistake to make. Though why they never made reference to LPS Wild Mouse, which is far more well known is beyond me!! Cheers Jobe

True, since Aussie World have only had the mouse since 2000 (Prior to that it was at the Perth showgrounds) Who knows, Blackpool are notable for twisting the facts regardless, they still advertise the Big One as being the tallest coaster in Europe when Silver Star eclipsed it a while back. I was going to suggest Flamingoland and Oakwood and as other parks, but Flamingoland is probably getting a bit too far north for the purposes of this topic (It was too far north for me to include in my itinerary!)...And Oakwood isn't in England.

Edited by Gazza

Having been to Blackpool and Thorpe Pk last month and Alton and oakwood in 07 my fav's are, 1. Blackpool because of the huge choice's of rides and great feel of the place. It's like going back in time in some ways but with some very good new rides and many old classics. 2. Thorpe Pk because of Saw and Sleath and close to London. I had a blast on everything there but the lines can be a big, big problem. If in London cannot be missed. 3. Alton because of the Rita and Air and the joint had a fun park feel to it. I like the feel of this place more than Thorpe Pk but i think overall the rides at Thorpe were slightly better. 4. Oakwood in Wales, very small park just of the Motorway but does have the orginal Saw type ride without the great themeing of Saw but noneless pretty much the same ride IMO. This park had a very family relaxed feel to it and i will be going back for another visit oneday.

Hi all I would like to thank everyone for posting/voteing in this topic. I have seen how most people liked alton tower/blackpool pleasure beach the most and have taken that on board. Can i just ask (gazza plus others) how do you changle polls? Please keep posting/voteing! Wondercam

• 1 month later...

I can post my experiences with this one now. Alton was far and away the best, not much to be said other than it is awesome, so get to that one if you can. Blackpool was really good too, but in its own quirky way...The big one is not the reason you'd go, but its the unique stuff like Grand National, Steeplechase, Avalanche and the Wild Mouse that make it great. Thorpe is a good option, the rides are 'good', but I sort of felt everything they did, Alton did better...I guess it lacked true stand outs, but it is really easy to get to. Chessington...Nah. Some fun stuff, but it is a bit tenous going there for only a handful of intermediate rides...It is basically geared towards younger families with a smattering of bigger stuff for more daring kids. Legoland I didn't think was particularly good. Great for little kids of course, but even the 9 year olds in your group would probably feel a bit old for a lot of the stuff, which tends to be passive.

Edited by Gazza

Thanks Gazza, the photos are great by the way! Yeah, i have been doing some research for all these parks and Alton towers comes as the best theme in england and is also voted top on this poll. After being corrected about Blackpool, by three or four members, i think it deserves second followed clostly by thorpe park then chessington then oakwood then Legoland and all the others tied on last. So i have suggested Alton to the choir master and he also like alton so hopefully we could be going to what seems like a really good theme park! Only if we had of been going to america. Six Flags MM all the way!!!!!!! :P Thanks Everyone, Wondercam

Edited by wondercam