helicopter crash Dreamworld car park

FIVE people have escaped from a helicopter which crash landed in the car park of Dreamworld theme park on the Gold Coast. The incident happened at 4pm. Witnesses said the four passengers and pilot were pulled from the wreckage by security guards from the theme park and were shaken but not seriously injured. Two of those on board walked from the crash site while the other three were taken on stretchers with suspected minor back injuries. The aircraft did not appear to catch fire, although there was smoke coming from it. The chopper was sprayed with foam as a precaution to stop fire from breaking out. It is believed the chopper was involved in joy flights and the incident happened near the helicopter landing pad at the western end of the car park.

Let them burn? :rolleyes: I think the smartest thing to do is get them away from the danger (in this case, the helicopter full of fuel) and then put them on a stretcher... which is that they did. I am sure the security staff would have completed a health and safety course, so they'd know that already.

The story will be on NBN and WIN 6 o clock news tonight
Or any other channel, in every bulletin and update for the rest of tonight for that matter.
well if they can afford a new ride worth like 2 mill they can afford to buy a new helicopter
The chopper is operated by a 3rd party, so DW won't have to pay anything. Anyway, here is a bleh video I managed to get of the report. dreamworldhelicopter.wmv Edited by Gazza

There were a lot of helicopters after the crash: 7, 9 and 10 were all there as well as a helitours and what looked to be like a RACQ careflight and another one later as I was leaving the area near by. So the sky's were busy after it happened and funnily enough when it happended I was outside but never the helicopter. The good thing though is that no one was injured and we didn't see a crash like the Sea World one many years ago were everyone perished, very sad, but very lucky for these tourists.

According to the 430 news, the chopper was landing, lost control, however the pilot was able to take the chopper to an empty space in the car park. Also, apparently 2 of the passengers were able to walk away, the 3rd and the pilot had to be taken to hospital. Very sad indeed, but I have to commend the pilots efforts for trying to avoid an even bigger disaster.

The chopper lost power and the pilot was unable to make it to the helipad so followed his emergency procedures and landed in an empty section of the car park. I know your all saying 'what if this happened in a busier period' - the company who owns and runs the helicopter joy flights have strategies and areas in place in case of emergencies if the car park is full. ash 1111 - the helicopters at Dreamworld - and others for that matter - do not run on petrol (fuel) they run on a special type of fuel which does not ignite easily - so the rest of the car park, people in the chopper, staff helping out were in no immediate danger. Luckily all people on board are fine and taken to hospital for precautionary reasons.

Yeah i have also heard about the Sea World crash would have been many years ago now i was very young when it happened from what i can recall was about 3 days before i went to sea world for the first time in years and my dad told me about it when we arrived in the car park, and funny enough i havn't been to Dreamworld now in ages and im going on sunday which is 3 days away i think i have bad luck when it comes to theme parks and helicopters.

It did happen, happened a long time, but yes happened. If I remember crashed just before landing, I can't really remember the cause but I think it was something like malfunction would explain as to why Bell helicopter had the lawsuit against it link here http://www.wisner-law.com/attorneys.html only one i could find or something like a heart attack, all five people died and I think it may have been the pilots family with him, unsure though.

Im sure the helicopter was insured. might not even need to be replaced really, depending on the actual malfunction/failure that brought it down and the damage it could possibly have incurred on landing, it might be able to be fixed and get back in the air. If not, well im sure that it will be replaced. And said insurance should cover all medical and compensation costs of the passengers, unless of course they had signed an 'at your own risk' waiver.... Accidents are always expected to happen, look at the Air France A330 that went down last week. Nothings ever going to be perfect really, always going to be malfunctions and accidents. None the less, congratulations must go to the pilot on being able to bring the chopper down safely in such trying circumstances, with minimal injuries or damage to property.

They crashed in the carpark? I hope they got their hand stamped so they could get back in the park. Apparently after the crash, to avoid legal action, the tourists were told they had merly been riding Giant Drop. In all seriousness, it was a great bit of pioleting to stear towards the empty part of the carpark, though that task was made much easier by how lame Mick Doohan's Motocoaster is. Expect a short press statement tomorrow which reads simply: "Hey Seaworld, at least when our helicopter crashes people don't die."