Sign in to follow this  
Gazza

Giga Coaster for Kings Dominion

9 posts in this topic

This is probably one of the more exciting coaster announcements in a while, but Kings Dominion in Virginia is getting an Intamin Giga Coaster. It's been nearly 8 years since the last hyper of this scale has opened, but in that time we have seen Intamin really perfect their airtime machines (One criticism often levelled at Millennium force is that it has a lot of fast turns, but lacks strong airtime) I personally have high hopes for this one, It has the potential to be the worlds #1 coaster. giga_____428.jpgkd201002_114.jpgkd201005_336.jpg No layout details are available yet, but the ride will feature a new style of track from Intamin that is reportedly stronger, yet cheaper to make.

Wow, first time in a couple of years that a new overseas ride has got my attention. MF's first drop is amazing, but apart from that the ride isn't much, so if this thing has a good layout, it almost might be enough to check out the park next time I'm in the states. Dominator gets great reviews, and it would be fun to see just how crap Backlot Coaster (formally Italian Job) really is.

^Plus Volcano is a coaster I have always thought looked interesting. I know I shouldn't complain about this, but between the new track style, and the new type of supports they are using (Seen on iSpeed) Intamin have gone from having perhaps the best looking rides, to the ugliest.

This is the project I'm most interested in for next year, I'm just dying to know what the layout is going to be like - I guess we're all hoping it will have more airtime than Millennium Force. It's about time we had another Intamin hyper/giga, the B & M's are fun (I went on Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia last week which was nice) but I much prefer the more aggressive Intamins. I went to KD last year and I think this will be a great addition because the park really needs a centrepiece. Dominator is one of the better floorless coasters, I really like Flight Of Fear, and Volcano was good until comes out of the Volcano and then it becomes very tame. The 3 woodies are absolutely abominable, Italian Job is fun without being spectacular and the rest of the coasters are mediocre. I would have never considered going back to this park but the Intamin changes all that.

All has been revealed: http://www.intimidator305.com/ It's 305 feet tall with a 300 foot 85 degree drop, 5 airtime hills after the drop, and some of angle changes like Maverick (which I liked personally). Biggest disappointment, no inversions but it has over the shoulder restraints - that seriously sucks but at least they won't be able staple you like El Toro. I think they could have had a few more airtime hills in the layout. I never thought I go back to KD after going last year, but now, hmmmm.

Looks pretty good actually. I agree, one or two more regular airtime hills would've been cool, but it still is a pretty well balanced layout (I like those high speed tranistions)...definitely looks like they are getting bang for their buck ($30 mil AUD equivalent cost). One thing that also caught my eye was the way they have done the lift...Only two big support towers, with a truss holding up the track. I'm not too bothered by the OTSRs to be honest...They speed up loading considerably compared to lap bars, and in any case, negative g's feel like negative gs no matter what is holding you in (Superman being a case point)