LW CLOSED

Randy23

Why is it rediculous? Is anyone here seriously suggesting that they cut whatever maintenance they are doing just to get the ride open? Obviously if it is down this long, and is so unexpectidly then the ride must require some kind of maintenance, they don't just shut down rides in peak periods for the hell of it. So clearly whatever is being done, needs to be done, and they won't open the ride until it's comeplete and more than that, safe! The last thing you would ever want is to cut back on the quality and scope of the work and then open the ride. Next thing you know you'll have trains derailing or something and everyone will be on here critisising the park for shoddy maintenance.

Obviously if it is down this long, and is so unexpectidly then the ride must require some kind of maintenance, they don't just shut down rides in peak periods for the hell of it.
Are you serious I have seen rides shut during peak periods at Movieworld. If you listen to the people standing in line talking you hear they are not impressed, I would to be spending that amount of money to go to a theme park and have to wait a long time in line, Aleast I have a yearly pass and come and go when I like but your average tourist who comes here for the day is seeing Movieworld is not the park it use to be, Maybe cutbacks have something to do with it.

And are you serious? The roller coaster are machines remember, machines with A LOT of moving parts. It is inevitable for them to break down. This is what visitors need to remember, all machines break down, there is no perfect machine out there that won't. If it happens it happens, the park maintenance will do their hardest to get it back up and running for the guest... after all the guest do pay their wages remember.

And are you serious? The roller coaster are machines remember, machines with A LOT of moving parts. It is inevitable for them to break down. This is what visitors need to remember, all machines break down, there is no perfect machine out there that won't. If it happens it happens, the park maintenance will do their hardest to get it back up and running for the guest... after all the guest do pay their wages remember.
Yes I understand that and especially Superman has to go through a testing stage before they allow people to ride but your average visitor just wants to ride the rides. And when one major ride is down it makes the lines longer in the park because there are so few rides.

Are you serious I have seen rides shut during peak periods at Movieworld.
It is very rare for a ride to be shut down during peak periods unless a maintenance requirement dictates so. All refurbs are scheduled out of peak periods and it is rare for a coaster to be down longer than a week as they stagger the train re-builds. Yes, mickey is correct, they are complex machines with thousands of parts, sensors, electronics etc. Take Disneyland as an example, it is rare to go to the park where in a day at least several of there rides go down, if not all. This is due to how much more complex their rides are than most, and just something you have to live with if you want the parks to push the boundaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been Closed for NDT testing on the track, some joints in the high stressed areas need rewelding after finding fine cracks. after they have fixed the track only one train will be running, as the 2nd train also needs repairing! I also am also to believe, the LW is now OPEN. with just the 1 train running. Coming from an insider and I cant say any more. Also Superman will be making another stop expected In late august before school holidays, to inspect a part that was installed earlyer in the year.

some joints in the high stressed areas need rewelding after finding fine cracks
You mean x-ray welding for stress fractures? If it was being x-ray welding it would explain its reasons for being down so long. After all corkscrew had the same problems and it too was down for a long time. Seems our coasters are showing their age if this is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at MW yesterday and Lethal Weapons operating hours were 12:00PM-5:00PM Also the Red train was nowhere to be seen. It was not in the maintenance bay. The blue train was missing the seats on car 10 and towards the end of the day they had closed car 5. Could this be weight/stress reduction technique in light of previous posts mentioning stress problems on the track. The ride was pretty rough. I rode it twice but like the voice over says hang on head back and have fun you'll do ok.

^ I'd say that's most likely what it's for. They are probably working through a process of ellimination whilst limping the ride along with some service (better than not having it at all) All of these problems with Lethal beg me to wonder if the idea of acquiring the fandangle next generation supa smooth trains is on the agenda? Afterall there is no way they would get rid of it and unlike the Corkscrew it could hardly run for 30 years without some serious TLC Oh and re the Red train, expect it's probably in pieces atm. Both trains undergo a complete rebuild at least once a year. Each one usually after the mid year term breaks (ie now and again for Blue in October)

Edited by MickeyD

• 5 months later...

Whenever a coaster train requires extensive maintenance that cannot be done while the train is mounted to the track, they are lifted out (usually by crane or forklift) and taken to a more extensive maintenance bay located backstage. I'm certain both trains were back since the last posting 6 months ago, but perhaps one has been taken off for further work later down the track. I seem to recall both trains running for Hallowe'en. I'm trying to load google maps to illustrate the roller door situation, but with 22,000 people on one connection (even a fast one) it doesn't like to load fast enough for my liking. I think you will find, if you work out the position of the maintenance bay in relation to the building walls on the overhead pictures, you'll find that that is how they get the trains out of the maintenance bay and loaded on the crane \ truck to move backstage. (Thats opinion, not fact)

Whenever a coaster train requires extensive maintenance that cannot be done while the train is mounted to the track, they are lifted out (usually by crane or forklift) and taken to a more extensive maintenance bay located backstage. I'm certain both trains were back since the last posting 6 months ago, but perhaps one has been taken off for further work later down the track. I seem to recall both trains running for Hallowe'en. I'm trying to load google maps to illustrate the roller door situation, but with 22,000 people on one connection (even a fast one) it doesn't like to load fast enough for my liking. I think you will find, if you work out the position of the maintenance bay in relation to the building walls on the overhead pictures, you'll find that that is how they get the trains out of the maintenance bay and loaded on the crane \ truck to move backstage. (Thats opinion, not fact)
Maintenance door, and possible sheds...... 1-2.jpg2-2.jpg