giant drop

dell2006

Hello all. We are Going to dreamworld in a few weeks time and always chickened out from the giant drop. I am going on it no matter what this time. I will naturaly be pooing myself, but can someone tell me What should i expect? do you get any warnings before its about to drop? And can you cant breath on the way down? anyone been on it? Please care to share your experiances!!

Uhm well I hate heights and am scared of heaps of stuff lol but I forced myself to go on and just distracted myself and kept saying.. emu's look at the emu's etc and then it droped and was super fun for some reason. I think its the adrenalin of not knowing when its going to drop that makes it even better. My advice and probably everyone else on this forum would agree.. go on it! Best ride in dreamworld I think.

If you're looking for the hint of knowing when it will drop, then sit on the outside of the gondola. When you think you've stopped going upwards, look up and back at the tower rigging. You will see you're still edging up the side. Keep watching it - and when it looks like you've stopped going up, you've got about half a second before you drop. No - breathing isn't a problem, though for some people, the initial drop sensation is unexpected (because they've been hanging for so long) and their stomach does kind of get left behind. It's a sensation I think a lot of us seasoned "drop" riders are too used to to be able to describe well enough, as its not really noticeable anymore. You will be able to breathe all the way down, you just won't think you are able to the first few times. Try it - you will see you can breathe. And at the end of the day, even if you can't get over the gut-swooping drop and you cannot breathe - it only takes a few seconds, and you're in the brake run - I bet you can hold your breath the whole time, without a problem - stand outside the queue and watch it, and hold your breath while you watch it drop! As for the overall "what to expect" - a nice view on the way up, and plenty of wind. A reasonable wait time near the top while the gondola crawls up those last few feet, and then a blink-and-you'll-miss-it adrenalin charged less-than-4-second finale before you're undoing your harness and wishing it had of lasted a bit longer...

If you're looking for the hint of knowing when it will drop, then sit on the outside of the gondola. When you think you've stopped going upwards, look up and back at the tower rigging. You will see you're still edging up the side. Keep watching it - and when it looks like you've stopped going up, you've got about half a second before you drop.
Or if you cant get on the end seats, listen carefully on the way up, there is a very distinct hum that the winch makes, its particularly audible right near the top, and more so on the west side (facing the highway) than on the east (facing the coast). When you get near the top, You will hear the hum of the motor stop, and youve got about 1 second before you drop. Even if you miss that, theres a very clear 'click' as the catch car releases the gondola, just as it starts to drop. Probably the best warnings. And if worst comes to worst, remember its only 3.7 seconds down. It will be over before you know it.

I had always been scared of heights, but I made a deal to ride the Giant Drop by some friends of mine, and I'm so glad I did. I had conquered my fear in a matter of seconds. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't go on it, it's a great rush, and the feeling is indescribable, dropping metres in seconds, it's just a really fun ride. And of course, if you get too scared you can just close your eyes and it will be over within a minute!

• 8 months later...

The rides is an adrenalin filled rush, the operator will reassure you and mention that it's only 39 stories high. But trust me, it is alot highet then you will first believe. It may look like the gondola doesn't move whilst you waiting at the top, yet the gondola just keeps edging up very slowly, as AlexB mentioned earlier. Generally whilst I am on the Giant Drop, I always yell "Lets Go!", "3, 2, 1 , Freefall" or something of that nature when the quiet hum stops, giving riders a slight quiver just before the gondola travels to 135kms/h and then stops during the brake run. Overall the ride is fantastic and is a MUST while at Dreamworld. The gondola will fall suddenly, and yourself, just like fellow thrill seekers, will most likely feel your stomach rise towards your throat. A fantastic feeling will also come over you when the plummet is complete and the magnets, (very) slowly, bring you back to the ground and then to a halt.

Has It Ever Not Stopped???
Of course not, the brakes are set to last over 1 million years, so yeah, it has never, not stopped.

At the risk of encouraging yet another resurrection from the dead I always feel sorry for the person who is on the ride that feels the need to highlight to the other riders how many times they have been on the ride by shouting out stuff like that. I always wish they actually had friends to be at the park with rather than reaching out to complete strangers in a rather disturbing way.

At the risk of encouraging yet another resurrection from the dead I always feel sorry for the person who is on the ride that feels the need to highlight to the other riders how many times they have been on the ride by shouting out stuff like that. I always wish they actually had friends to be at the park with rather than reaching out to complete strangers in a rather disturbing way.
I can't believe I did it again, I keep phrasing it wrong, what I was suppossed to say is that my friend wants to know when it's going to startt free-falling. She doesn't alway's ask me to do it, so I don't, I don't try to yell to other riders I just say it. And anyway, it's a five second freefall before the gondola stops. So I like how you can't get used to the feeling. Edited by lylefart