Sea Viper - New Ride

bren

I'm pretty sure it's a done deal and the train is confirmed... I believe a member of management recently visited the factory even. You can't really change the seating style as you obviously can't have a suspended coaster and there isn't enough clearance for a stand up.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps time to edit the title of this thread to more accurately represent the new ride experience? That imagery is almost spot on the images posted earlier on in this thread of the sea viper. The fish hook tail at the bottom is a nice touch. It's going to have to be a hell of a change for them to market it as a new ride experience. Obviously a stand-up is not going to happen, suspended and inverted are out, what's left - backwards facing seats? Lying down? Although one thing strikes me that they did recently build a new entrance to the cork station, which leads me to think that the old walkway running over in front of the station may be able to be removed now....?

Although now that Jet Rescue is where it is, that space between the new stairs and the old "access stairs" for staff is perfect to install a ramp - nothing stopping them from doing that to clear out the old ramps, so its always possible. Has the pirate ship gone yet? I haven't been in a while - if so, that would leave some significant space to install something decent - particularly if they did divert the cork queue stairs \ (ramps) to face Jet Rescue, as the whole walkway area could be utilised also. If the existing ramps were removed, the footprint available would be about half of the current corkscrew footprint, which isn't too bad - see below: (And as an aside, the latest google maps satellite image was taken in the early days of Jet Rescue construction - looks like a few of the first pillars for the footers have been set

post-152-1249988586_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I was at Seaworld on Saturday and saw the sign... i will post it when i am work and can conect my phone to my PC. I talked to the ride op who said the trains are all new and instead of sitting in a conventional coaster car the train is more like Superman, you sit on top exposed. Not quite sure if he was meaning on top of track and floorless if you get me. I don't have a problem with them re doing the Corkscrew... but after riding Lethal Weapon which feels like it is going way too fast... they need to replace the trains. The new trains are so much better and the intensity of the ride is enjoyable without your head banging on those ridiculous head supports. It just seems a bit silly to re-do Corkscrew when after i road it Sat it was going really well and was not rough. I get that the train is 27 years old... but Lethal Weapon just hurts and i think this should be addressed first. Guest comfort should come first... and i think you would be hard pressed to find a train of guests not get off complaining that their head hurt.

I talked to the ride op who said the trains are all new and instead of sitting in a conventional coaster car the train is more like Superman, you sit on top exposed
I sort of get what they are saying. The best example I can think of for this style are the trains on Wildfire at Silver Dollar City...you can see how they are just basically seats and a floor, with no fibreglass car body around you. silverdollarcity-wildfire-jul09.jpg

Will this count as another credit? Is there an official rule in regards to rides that change their trains and names? Back on topic... I really hope that they do something with the theming, because a new train (in my opinion) doesn't really justify a name change. I know they can market it as something new, but if people go to the park and just see a new train, they're not going to be very happy. But if they do something special with the theming, then I feel it may reflect on the park better. However, I can't imagine many people would go to Sea World just because of this 'new' ride.

I'll be pissed if they go the Six Flags route and put a random flame thrower to Corkscrew if Bermuda doesn't get its fire back. More exposed trains? Um, OK, not really a new ride experience, but if a new train is needed then sure why not? How anyone can claim its anything other then a normal coaster train is beyond me though.

But I've never understood that... the time spent waiting for a kiddy coaster could be better spent re-riding something that is actually good. (I mean when I have been at the Disney parks I have never gotten around to riding their rollerskaters because at the end of the day there are better and less embarrassing things to be doing) I've also never understood why having a large number of 'credits' is big achievement...Woah they've ridden 20 wacky worms , I bet that is something to be proud of :rolleyes: And then it is this desire to that leads to people making ridiculous claims to try and bump their count up, such as Corkscrew being a new ride because they decided to do a needed overhaul. Plus it really bugs me when people refer to them as 'credits' instead of coasters (Eg I got all the credits rather than I rode all the coasters)...It's as if they see them as nothing more than a number, and are riding them so they can add one more to an excel spreadsheet, rather than because going on coasters is a fun activity. I think that sums it up nicley :)

Edited by Gazza

I think the Six Flags updates to their rides have been very good quality. They are hardly just some flames... they have done extensive upgrades which have cost a lot of money. I think it is definitely a more intelligent way to handle old rides rather then letting them run down and fall apart. I would expect in line with the budget level of actual rides in Australia one could infer the same level of update to Seaworld could be expected in comparison. I think we will see a new train and maybe some panels showing some preshow and thats about it. Since the board walks around the Corfscrew all look very new and they appear to have changed the plaza in front of it i cant see the entrance or station changing. I could see them encloce the station and possibly ad a tunnel after the loop... maybe on the corner to the corkscrew. Some simple lights in the tunnel and maybe a cool zone.... I think about it like this.... A car manufacturer makes some changes to an engine, improves the computer, changes colours, improves the internal and they call it the all new 'Something' why cant Seaworld make improvements similar to this and call it 'An all new ride experience'? If they put new cars having you sit above the track then it is a new experience and thats all they have said so far. So lets hope they keep selling it like this and not move to 'The new Sea Viper'.... cause then that would suck.

But I've never understood that... the time spent waiting for a kiddy coaster could be better spent re-riding something that is actually good. (I mean when I have been at the Disney parks I have never gotten around to riding their rollerskaters because at the end of the day there are better and less embarrassing things to be doing)
For the record, I don't actually count credits seriously, just for a bit of fun (I haven't even calculated my new "credit count" but yeah, it can be quite fun and whacky if your in a group of some sort (with the exception of ACE) to do the kiddie coasters for the purpose of Credit Whoring. But I do have my limitations though, I won't go riding by myself, has to be with a group, because then we all look ****ed. Just my opinion though.

Id like to see the front cars of the train face forwards like it was, the back cars face backwards and the cars in the middle sit back to back, (so you look sideways) that would be freaky going over the different loops Not sure if possible. but they have done everything else you can think of with coaster trains.

Edited by Inverted

• 4 weeks later...
Corkscrew Rollercoaster will be closed 19 October - 30 November for scheduled maintenance
What? They couldn't put a more interesting message? Corkscrew Rollercoaster will be closed 19 October - 30 November for an exciting upgrade and transformation into Sea Viper...New for summer 2009! Edited by Gazza

• 4 weeks later...
Woah they've ridden 20 wacky worms , I bet that is something to be proud of :rolleyes:
Actually, I've ridden sixty-eight Wacky Worms as of last month :) Seriously though, I started counting coasters because other people asked me how many I'd been on. For me I will not go far out of my way for a family/kiddie coaster, but if there is one near where I'm going to be I don't see why I shouldn't ride it!
]And then it is this desire to that leads to people making ridiculous claims to try and bump their count up
Not everyone. I don't do that, and relocations for me are NOT new credits.
Plus it really bugs me when people refer to them as 'credits' instead of coasters (Eg I got all the credits rather than I rode all the coasters).
I prefer to save the word "coaster" for rides that are actually good. I've done quite a few of late that are probably best described as "credits" :) FWIW, for those who don't know me: http://www.bannister.org/coasters/order.htm