Sea Viper - New Ride

bren

I've got to say I much prefer Sea World's upgrade/re-theme and subsequent re-marketing of an attraction as a 'filler' (smaller less expensive attractions added in a year where no major ride is being built) as opposed to Dreamworld's standard fillers like Flowrider, AVPX, Redline etc. I think the park will get better long term benefits out of upgrading an exiting ride as opposed to adding crappy side show style 'interactive attractions'

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the opening date for the re-theme been announced or is "Christmas" all the detail available? I wonder if they might be a little late...
Well according to the website its just Christmas:
Survive Sea Viper at Sea World this summer! Opening Christmas 2009.
http://seaworld.myfun.com.au/Attractions/Rides/Sea-Viper.htm Hopefully a makeover is a little more than a new train and a coat of paint.

Good shots there Rappa. It's been a while since I paid close attention to the corkscrew station - that metal work (cross beams etc) looks like it's new.... is it?
must be the lighting, but yea it does look new. However, it is not.... http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Gold_Coas..._lift_hill.html

Sea Viper section on sea world website on rider requirements saids: Please note that persons who cannot be held tight and safely by the existing harness (eg: because of a condition, height or shape)may be unable to ride. Even though no one has used the new trains yet, could this be one of those tight squeze restrainsts? or just modern restraints which lock safely at a certain point?? Im just curious because of my own size and would want to ride it next time i head up to qld.

• 2 weeks later...

They only showed Sea Viper and Jet Rescue. Jet Rescue looked somewhat interesting (for someone who hasn't ridden it), but Sea Viper looked mediocre. On the vision they recorded, it appeared that there was quite a bit of head banging, Fifi and Simon commented on how it roughed you up the wrong way (or something along those lines), and Fifi also said that it's advisable not to wear Earings on that ride. Stationwise, I know we are all wanting to know what they have done with it. It appears as though the inside walls have been given a new coat of paint, a dark grey (not sure though if it has been recently painted this colour, or if it was given that colour when the track was repainted), there is some orange also present (same orange as the track colour).

They only showed Sea Viper and Jet Rescue. Jet Rescue looked somewhat interesting (for someone who hasn't ridden it), but Sea Viper looked mediocre. On the vision they recorded, it appeared that there was quite a bit of head banging, Fifi and Simon commented on how it roughed you up the wrong way (or something along those lines), and Fifi also said that it's advisable not to wear Earings on that ride.
That would be very disappointing considering the fact that Corkscrew was previously a very smooth coaster. One of the few smooth coasters in Australia. Nobody likes having their ears/head banged around. It wouldn't make for a very good 'upgrade'

Kind of ironic that the selling point of this was the open, low profile carriages, but they've had to go and add those extra bits to the train (Do they remind anyone else of what is on a GCI millennium flyer?)....I guess the monorail and the turn around the station probably had clearance issues that necessitated this.