WIPEOUT STUCK UPSIDE DOWN

dell2006

Was at dreamworld saturday, wipeout brock down twice that i saw, first time about 11am stuck upside facing the ground for one side, while other side slightly tilted on there back, head lower then there bum facing the sky for about 20 mins, maintnence lowered it all manuely, ran thru empty twice. then was back in action. and about 1.30pm same had happened. all frozen up, but were stopped right way up. will upload some photos tonight. Anyone know whats wrong with it? does this play up a lot? Park seams to be ran down a lot, has a lot of potentel but seams like they just dont care! Some paint, pressure washer, and a bucket of some soapy water could go a long way! Even the pater park is in desprate need of some paint. Whats everyone else think about the condition of the park?? And there food is a RIP OFF. not to mention poor quality!! $12.95 for 6 processed nuggets and hand full of oil filled chips.

Edited by Richard

whoa! so many colours! ok so the breakdows happen. its a machine. its old. just be happy it still works the majority of the time. you have been here since '07, look at the other threads about dreamworld and its clear to see what other peoples ideas of the park are. yes, it does need a lot of work, but it has improved compared to what it was a few years ago. as for the prices, consider the costs of running all those rides ~8 hours a day, 364 days a year. you shouldnt be going to a theme park expecting it to be cheap.

Edited by Richard

^ I think that's the whole argument - the place is looking pretty cheap and certainly not with cheap prices! It amazes me how correct the 'bucket of soapy water' comment rings true - which doesn't really cost anything!! I'm planning my 1st trip to DW in YEARS a few weeks time and look forward to offering my point of view then. As for the Wipeout incidents, this has been occuring for years. I remember one such incident making the news back when it was relatively new. I don't think there is much of an excuse for allowing people to be stuck upside down for 20 minutes - this is more of a matter of public liability. For Christ's sake, what do people expect for an admission fee of $69 huh?!?!?! POOR FORM IF IT KEEPS HAPPENING DREAMWORLD

Edited by MickeyD

• 1 month later...
Was at dreamworld saturday, wipeout brock down twice that i saw, first time about 11am stuck upside facing the ground for one side, while other side slightly tilted on there back, head lower then there bum facing the sky for about 20 mins, maintnence lowered it all manuely, ran thru empty twice. then was back in action. and about 1.30pm same had happened. all frozen up, but were stopped right way up. will upload some photos tonight. Anyone know whats wrong with it? does this play up a lot? Park seams to be ran down a lot, has a lot of potentel but seams like they just dont care! Some paint, pressure washer, and a bucket of some soapy water could go a long way! Even the pater park is in desprate need of some paint. Whats everyone else think about the condition of the park?? And there food is a RIP OFF. not to mention poor quality!! $12.95 for 6 processed nuggets and hand full of oil filled chips.
Hey mate. Im a really big fan of The Wipeout Ride at dreamworld. I went to dreamworld in april went on this and it wouldnt park properly so they had 2 do a test run 5 times so we got 6 shots on the wipeout in the 1 go lol. They finnaly fixed the problem. This dosent sound 2 good of what happened. Id really like to see the photos! Thx Jack. Add me: Jack_melon28@hotmail.com

In less than 2 hours it'll be October. Where's the photo? :lol:

• 6 months later...

Not to be rude or anything, and no offence but, SERIOUSLY! I honestly think that Dreamworld is a fantastic, clean and decent theme park. It may not have changed over the past few years, but I know that in the next two years, a lot is going to be changecd in the park. More rides are going to be added, improvements are going to be given to the rides already placed in the park and more changes. Oh, and if you are wondering, Dreamworld is one of the safest theme parks in Australia. The Wipeout is neally 25 years old and without a doubt, nothing could happen whilst on these thrill rides. I have not simply written this without regard, I have instead talked to the staff and researched on the internet.

nothing could happen whilst on these thrill rides.
I think you need to have a talk to Bussy and Daniel. The fact is, regardless of what safety measures are in place, what steps are taken, or how much money is thrown at the upkeep and maintenance, the fact is that ANYTHING can happen whilst on those thrill rides.
I have not simply written this without regard, I have instead talked to the staff and researched on the internet.
So staff - definitely the place to go for an unbiased opinion, not to mention that they're likely to lose their jobs if they talk in a negative manner about their employer. And Internet research - well - chalk one up for wikipedia - we know how reliable that is!

So staff - definitely the place to go for an unbiased opinion, not to mention that they're likely to lose their jobs if they talk in a negative manner about their employer. And Internet research - well - chalk one up for wikipedia - we know how reliable that is! I know how Wiki works- And it definitely is unreliable! BUT I did not simply take a glance at Wiki and believe that that is the solid truth, instead, more complex and updated websites on the web. I think you need to have a talk to Bussy and Daniel. The fact is, regardless of what safety measures are in place, what steps are taken, or how much money is thrown at the upkeep and maintenance, the fact is that ANYTHING can happen whilst on those thrill rides. You are slightly incorrect there, by talking to not only staff, I meant Ride Operators and Park Managers, simply, I have found that if you do follow these rules, they will make a significant impact on your thrill, not only is it safer, yet it gives you reassurance that nothing will happen. I know what you mean. Take Giant Drop for example: I have heard about what occured in America, yet what happened to the girl was different and could not occur in Australia. The rides are different in both structure and height. And whilst the Giant Drop is checked thoroughly during the parks 'closed' hours. The Americans, as I am to believe, did not check the thrill ride. For more reassurance, Dreamworld is one of the safest theme parks in the World.

Edited by lylefart

For more reassurance, Dreamworld is one of the safest theme parks in the World.
Again you're making these claims without any evidence to substantiate them! Prove it, or shut up.
I know how Wiki works- And it definitely is unreliable! BUT I did not simply take a glance at Wiki and believe that that is the solid truth, instead, more complex and updated websites on the web.
Ok - so where are your sources? Where do they get the information from. Is it an independent evaluation done by the local workplace health and safety authorities? An amusement industry regulatory body? Again, Prove it or shut up.
You are slightly incorrect there, by talking to not only staff, I meant Ride Operators and Park Managers, simply, I have found that if you do follow these rules, they will make a significant impact on your thrill, not only is it safer, yet it gives you reassurance that nothing will happen. I know what you mean. Take Giant Drop for example: I have heard about what occured in America, yet what happened to the girl was different and could not occur in Australia. The rides are different in both structure and height. And whilst the Giant Drop is checked thoroughly during the parks 'closed' hours. The Americans, as I am to believe, did not check the thrill ride.
Slightly incorrect? Something is either right or it's wrong. You can't have it both ways. If a staff member talks to a member of the general public, and discusses their employer in a negative manner, they are out of a job - it's simple. no staff member is going to talk publicly about any park negatives. So if they are asked by joe bloggs in the queue line, of course they're going to talk about how safe everything is. The only way you can be reassured that NOTHING will happen is if you don't ride. ANYTHING CAN happen. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Your safety is reliant on a lot of people doing the right thing. If one guy's wife walks out on him the night before and he absentmindedly forgets to check a bolt or a cable or a plug - BAM - see you later. You cannot state categorically that nothing will happen - you can't see into the future to know that is true. So you're saying that a winch cable couldn't snap in australia? I think you need to talk to Daniel and Bussy again - Bussy was actually operating an AUSTRALIAN ROLLER COASTER - where that exact thing happened - the winch cable snapped. WRONG AGAIN! If you read through the reports done on the american version (which I believe was the same model) the ride was checked - just not properly. Again - any technician can sign off on a ride while not completing certain steps. The specific step the american technician skipped was to hold a cloth\glove (or similar) over the greased cable, and run the cable through it to pick up on burrs or loose strands of cable. Not a hard thing to do - but what if a DW mechanic missed it - theres lots of what-if's, and unless they display daily video of the mechanic doing every safety check - you can't be certain that nothing will go wrong. Honestly - I hope you ride a DW attraction one day - solo (so noone else gets hurt) and I hope it catastrophically fails and either seriously maims, or kills you - maybe then you would learn that there is no absolute certainty to what you are saying.

Honestly - I hope you ride a DW attraction one day - solo (so noone else gets hurt) and I hope it catastrophically fails and either seriously maims, or kills you - maybe then you would learn that there is no absolute certainty to what you are saying.
Look, I know that you hate me, but why on earth did you need to say that, I am already having nightmares about horrible things occuring like this. I don't ride attractions solo, so I guess you want my Kiwi friend to die as well. And I know that people can be hurt on thrill rides, I know people can get killed, I am just trying to make my point and say that Dreamworld is a safe place (do not tell me to shut up because they have one an award) and that the wipeout was making creaking sounds the other day. No-one has been killed on DW's rides and I am totally horrified at what you said. I will say two things, please remove that part of the message and I'm sorry if I wrote the wrong things. I will not tell you my age and I just hope I didn't annoy you. SORRY!!!!!!! Please do not retaliate, when i said different in structure in height, of course you know that there is a difference in that, and the structure, the Dreamworld Tower accommodates TWO Giant Drops, whilst the American version had more than FOUR. Can we start fresh cos I've had enough of this stupid argument! And where do I find Daniel and Bussy then? Edited by lylefart

Anything can happen on rides. No matter what safety measures are in place, anything can happen. Even walking out to the backyard has its risks. And while it's a VERY safe park, please don't say it's the safest park in the world -- because you have no proof. By the way, if you do work at the park, please be careful with what you say.

Edited by ash.1111

Anything can happen on rides. No matter what safety measures are in place, anything can happen. Even walking out to the backyard has its risks. And while it's a VERY safe park, please don't say it's the safest park in the world -- because you have no proof. By the way, if you do work at the park, please be careful with what you say.
Good on ya Ash, finally some one who gets the point! It isn't the safest there is but it is safe, finally! Oh, and I know that hanging out in the backyard is risky, it's just that the chance of something really dangerous happening is really slim.
Mind you the poor Wipeout sounded pretty horrible today, worse then normal. It also only flipped upside down once, and failed to do the slow rotation it normally does half way through. Sounded as if the gears were slipping.
Tolly1804, I was there yesterday and it flipped more than once, but yeah, the creaking was scaring me and, as I saw it, it only completed it's signature rotation every second time. Edited by lylefart

Didin't someone say here along the lines a while ago that the Wipeout only had a certain amount of life left before it would have to go or something along similiar? Anyway yes DW is safe we can establish that but things in life happen... who would have known the Wild West could catch fire, the park and its owners other parks have a great safety record but it happened although it wasn't the ride it was it's building... still things happen in parks and yes I'm proud to say both Ardent and Village have very safe parks... not only does our law make them have it the parks themselves take it upon themselves to do this. I don't have proof but we know they examine their rides every morning and once or maybe more a year give it a full look over and touch up, we trust them, plus the computer systems are in place to make a problem hopefully minimal. Afterall the parks don't want to be spread across the papers and TV for seriously malfunctioning and injuring or killing staff and patrons.

Finally gets the point? I never said dreamworld was unsafe. I said you can't make a statement that it's the safest in the world - exactly the same thing that Ash said. You said that absolutely nothing can happen. I said you can't say that and you have to allow for the possibility that something CAN go wrong. Who said I hated you? All i've done is expressed frustration at a child who can't see logic. I described an extreme situation in the hope that you might actually get the point, instead of rehashing the same ideals without some shred of proof. At the end of the day, this whole "safest park in the world" crap came up because someone said wipeout creaked a little - geezus - it creaks on every cycle - it's the nature of the mechanics involved. As to winning an award - who cares? It may just mean the judges granting the award weren't shown the bad stuff? anything's possible... At the end of the day, you're entitled to an OPINION. And noone can, or will take that away from you. When you go around categorically stating your opinion as FACT, you will be asked to put up, or shut up. It is simple, and logical. You don't need to throw a tantrum screaming at the floor because someone shot you down. You deserved it. There is no need to further throw a "i'm going to delete my profile" tantrum as well. To be honest - people who behave like that will be welcome to delete their profiles. This subject matter does attract a younger audience. The only thing the membership (the "community" if you will) has ever asked is for a bit of thought into what you post, and a bit of maturity (which is why things like chatspeak are frowned upon). There are many actively contributing members here who have put a lot into what the site is today, who got off to a rocky start in the past. I don't want to embarass anyone, but Klassen and Spencer are two such examples. To get in touch with Bussy or Daniel - look them up in the members list, and send them a PM or Email from their profile. You may want to approach Daniel with caution. A better suggestion if you want to know about their experiences, would be to review their older posts. It would be far more educational, and not so annoying to them, if you read their older posts, particularly in the Wonderland Sydney forum, as that is where they worked. Be prepared though - if you do approach them, and speak to them how you have spoken to me, they will probably either delete the message or throw it back at you 100 times worse than just wishing for a ride to crash while you're riding solo.

Ok lets see... time taken to annoy the crap outta everyone... (no offense to those listed) -whitsy-10 months-only annoyed in 1 thred -summerfun91-21 months-only annoyed in 1 thread -lylefart-4 days-only-annoyed in-just about every thread... -doc brown/mrt etc...-not sure-annoyed in only threads that involed MW. anyone else notice this? :blink:

No Justin - Whitsy was in any thread where he could fit in the words "gay" and other such nonsense... i don't believe he restricted himself to a single thread. DocBrown \ MRT \ Batman (who is now Spencer as mentioned above) did venture outside the MW threads. I don't even remember summerfun91, so it mustn't have been too bad But yes - agree, i don't think anyone has set a record quicker than lyle.

I don't know why people are saying how bad this is as most theme parks over seas have the same problems with there older rides as well. For example Star Tours at Disneyland it has become one of the bumpiest rides out there because it is old. Even new rides overseas have the same kinda problem. For example Universal Studios Florida's new coaster Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit opened mid to late last year and since then the ride has never been fully opened (part of the ride don't function yet), the ride is constantly down for maintenance and the trains valley a lot. And both these two companies have more then ten times the amount of money then Dreamworld. If dreamworld was to be like them you would need every person from Australia to visit Dreamworld every year. Also the food at Dreamworld isn't that dear compare to every where else and they let you take food in. For example Movieworld disallows food in there park and they check for it at the gate and there food prices are higher then Dreamworlds. Source: My knowledge from being the owner of a theme park website.

Finally gets the point? I never said dreamworld was unsafe. I said you can't make a statement that it's the safest in the world - exactly the same thing that Ash said. You said that absolutely nothing can happen. I said you can't say that and you have to allow for the possibility that something CAN go wrong. Who said I hated you? All i've done is expressed frustration at a child who can't see logic. I described an extreme situation in the hope that you might actually get the point, instead of rehashing the same ideals without some shred of proof. At the end of the day, this whole "safest park in the world" crap came up because someone said wipeout creaked a little - geezus - it creaks on every cycle - it's the nature of the mechanics involved. As to winning an award - who cares? It may just mean the judges granting the award weren't shown the bad stuff? anything's possible... At the end of the day, you're entitled to an OPINION. And noone can, or will take that away from you. When you go around categorically stating your opinion as FACT, you will be asked to put up, or shut up. It is simple, and logical. You don't need to throw a tantrum screaming at the floor because someone shot you down. You deserved it. There is no need to further throw a "i'm going to delete my profile" tantrum as well. To be honest - people who behave like that will be welcome to delete their profiles. This subject matter does attract a younger audience. The only thing the membership (the "community" if you will) has ever asked is for a bit of thought into what you post, and a bit of maturity (which is why things like chatspeak are frowned upon). There are many actively contributing members here who have put a lot into what the site is today, who got off to a rocky start in the past. I don't want to embarass anyone, but Klassen and Spencer are two such examples. To get in touch with Bussy or Daniel - look them up in the members list, and send them a PM or Email from their profile. You may want to approach Daniel with caution. A better suggestion if you want to know about their experiences, would be to review their older posts. It would be far more educational, and not so annoying to them, if you read their older posts, particularly in the Wonderland Sydney forum, as that is where they worked. Be prepared though - if you do approach them, and speak to them how you have spoken to me, they will probably either delete the message or throw it back at you 100 times worse than just wishing for a ride to crash while you're riding solo.
I know what you mean and everything mate, it's just that I preety much exaggerated a bit too far and then this whole thing just started going off like a bloody fire cracker. I know you probably didn't mean all that stuff you wrote, but what do you mean by don't approach Daniel the way I approached you? And when I said nothing could happen, I preety much rephrased it in the worst manner possible. I know rides can malfunction, i am just trying to say that it never happens at Dreamworld. No-one has been hurt or killed there, so it's a fairly safe place. And when i said the Wipeout is 25 years old, that was because I thought it began working in '86. Oh and when it weas creaking it wasn't the normal whir, it was something different, i know it was going different because it didn't complete the last rotation everytime. And i wasn't trying to state a fact, it WAS an opinion. Edited by lylefart

Ok lets see... time taken to annoy the crap outta everyone... (no offense to those listed) -whitsy-10 months-only annoyed in 1 thred -summerfun91-21 months-only annoyed in 1 thread -lylefart-4 days-only-annoyed in-just about every thread... -doc brown/mrt etc...-not sure-annoyed in only threads that involed MW. anyone else notice this? :blink:
Maybe because of all of the forums i'm on this is definitely the rudest. To all the people telling people to shut up and prove it.... No other forums are that rude! To people complaining about spelling errors/grammar who cares get on with it like all the other forums do. Be more nicer then going oh look fail! You don't need to say that just politely address it as wrong no need to say fail. I know the difference between a nice group who are always happy and thanking each other to this group who just wants to argue all the time.