Petition

www worker

I wonder if the guy has actually ridden a flyer, not a coaster type that impresses me that much other than pretzel loop which is the only place that a flyer gets forceful. What people like in a coaster is subjective for sure but the prone position you are in on a flyer really limits the force that can be exerted and the overall intensity of the ride. I've ridden Tatsu, all 3 Superman flyers, all 3 Vekoma flyers, & unfortunately 3 Zamperla Volares and I'm still not that impressed with flyers. I think an Intamin megalite ould be a great addition for any Australian park and something that would be realistic to acquire, based on my rides on Piraten megalites seriously kick butt. If they were to add a B & M I would prefer a forceful invert over a dive machine, stand up, flyer or looper models. I excluded the B & M hyper from consideration because they are probably way too pricey for an Australian park.

I don't think a B&M flyer is the right addition for an Aussie park (for a whole heap of reasons I won't go into), but how on Earth can you say Tatsu is not an intense ride? Not just the pretzel loop, but the whole thing is nuts. Granted AIR isn't the most intense things going around and those Zolare things are indeed as crap as you hear, but Tatsu not intense? To me, that's the most intense ride at the park (I haven't been on X), and that's the same park that has Goliath, a Batman clone and Riddler's!

Edited by joz

Agreed, Tatsu is one of the best coasters I have ridden, obviously that pretzel loop is nuts, other parts might be less forceful, but that is well and truly made up for by the fact the flying position is just so cool, and soaring so fast and high up is simply awesome. Even Air, considered to be the worst of the lot, was still impressive to me. I've never really understood why forcefulness has to be the main measure of how good a ride is...I've always rated rides by how enjoyable and exciting they are. I do think a flyer would be a good addition to an Aussie park, but at the moment I suppose we could still be building cheaper and simpler stuff that would be just as good (Eg that modern woodie everybody wants, mega lite, the cheaper B&M models like the dive machine etc)

I don't think a B&M flyer is the right addition for an Aussie park (for a whole heap of reasons I won't go into), but how on Earth can you say Tatsu is not an intense ride? Not just the pretzel loop, but the whole thing is nuts. Granted AIR isn't the most intense things going around and those Zolare things are indeed as crap as you hear, but Tatsu not intense? To me, that's the most intense ride at the park (I haven't been on X), and that's the same park that has Goliath, a Batman clone and Riddler's!
I probably should have reworded my statement on Tatsu, it has a level of intensity but relative to other coasters I have ridden I didn't think it was as intense. The coasters I've been on that I think are really intense - Balder, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Piraten, Bizarro (SFNE), X2, Raptor, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force to name a few. I've clocked up over 400 coasters now (pretty sad) so I'm a bit harder to please, actually I'm very jaded at the moment, I'm in coaster de-tox. I rode Tatsu 7 times on a visit the year it opened and I was bored with it after that. Like I said before it all comes down to personal preference, I'd rather ride X2, Batman, Deja Vu, & Goliath over Tatsu (and probably Terminator Salvation, which I've not ridden, if it's as good as people were telling me it is) at SFMM but that's just doing what I like. I think a B & M invert would be realistic for an Australian park from an affordability perspective. Perhaps a second hand Batman or Orichi from Japan would have been a nice purchase when they were available. I wish Dreamworld would get an Intamin Megalite and a Balder clone - I'd never leave the country to ride coasters again.

Having gone on Tatsu for the first time exactly a month ago today just realized then, i would have to say it was one of the best coaster i have ever been on, As for X2 as they call it now it was a great ride huge line though but worth every second in the line up i manage to get on it 3 times during there summer time in USA surprising crowds weren't that big, but i find it hard to say which one is best at the park. While talking about the USA Trip of mine from July i have one thing to say Knotts berry farm Waste of time IMO would have preferred a extra day at SFMM

Edited by klassen24

Especially now SFMM has Terminator, there really isn't much going for Knotts to be honest, apart from say Xcellerator and Perilious Plunge (Im assuming on the latter, since it was closed for my visit, despite it being the middle of a hot summer) How was Pony Express? You should head over to the international parks fourm, and give us some more fleshed out thoughts on the LA parks. It's always interesting hearing an Australian perspective on these places.

^^my August 2007 visit: SFMM was awesome with the original version of X and no Terminator Salvation. 'X' was a true WTF experience and it was fun... but Tatsu for the sheer pure experience factor reigned supreme - and you can see where you're going unlike some where it's more looking down at the blurred (close) ground / supports, if you know what I mean. The woodies are also great (Colossus was my first EVER). Fortunately we too had surprisingly short rides (and a few Flash Passes too but we didn't even really need them that badly). I also did Knott's and thought it was OKAY (and Silver Bullet was pretty fun). I was there before Pony Express but Ghost Rider was pretty insane - it was one of the first times in my life I thought I was going to die. That said Sierra Sidewinder was my first spinning coaster ever and was also good fun. Didn't get to do Xcelerator as it wasn't running when I went to queue for it and didn't open until it was 3 minutes to closing and my friend Evan & I were too far away to make the queue :( Overall though, while I'd take Knott's over DW any day, SFMM still beat it into the ground and if I could only pick one of the two would easily be my preference.

Edited by Gold Coaster

I'm 100% with this petition. It's time for Australia to have its first B&M coaster. Besides, it's unfortunate that we don't have many good rollercoasters, yet unfair how the US has so many of them (especially their amusement park Cedar Point). For Australia to have its first B&M coaster, I'll say yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys from the US. I've been travelling California for the past 2 weeks, and just thought I'd add my views on B&M's and American coasters. B&M's are great (mind you, Vortex at CGA sucked). So far the best B&M of the trip has to be either a tossup of either Flight Deck at CGA or Medusa at SFDK or Tatsu at SFMM. Tatsu was a pretty intense ride, but damn Flight Deck was way more intense (that was insane). As to what I'd like to see in Australia B&M wise now I've been given a sample of B&M goodness, I'd actually like to see the Flyer style or the Hyper style of coaster. Absolutly awesome. Regarding US parks, seriously guys, Knotts sucks, terrible operations (this view was equally shared among the group). If you've been before, I wouldn't go back, but if you've never been, check it out. It's not bad, but far from being great Re X2, if your going to ride, make sure you ride on the left side, and always ride on the inside seat (that outside seat throws you around like a bobble head). It's seriously a great ride (I had about 6 rides on X2 during my day visit, unforgetable). Back on topic though, a Hyper (B&M or Intamin) or a flight deck clone would rock! Oh and Tony, I don't agree with your views on Knotts v Dreamworld, i'd take Dreamworld anyday over Knotts.

I've been lucky with Knotts, every visit I have had has been when the park is deserted and all the rides have been operating so I haven't been able to experience their terrible operations. Silver Bullet and Xcelerator are not bad, Ghostrider has gone from a very good woodie to horrible, Sidewinder was OK. Knott's could really do with a couple of top quality coasters (like the never get bored of riding quality) and maybe a decent dark ride. I personally don't think Dreamworld would be prepared or probably able to fork out for a flyer of Tatsu or Manta quality even without theming, I'm not sure if a Superman flyer would in their range either. They may also feel that the public may percieve an invert as being the same as something at movie world (we know better but most might not).

Oh and Tony, I don't agree with your views on Knotts v Dreamworld, i'd take Dreamworld anyday over Knotts.
I'm not sure on that one. Operationally, they are probably on par with each other, but at least at Knotts you've got a far better coaster lineup, equivalents of everything at DW, and then some. I mean, it is the worst park in LA, but I'd still rather visit a park with a B&M and an awesome accelerator than DW.

But thats just the point - You're making a comparison of a lifelong term of visits to Dreamworld with just ONE DAY at Knotts. Maybe you caught them on a bad day - maybe half the cast went out partying the night before and called in dead? I know a couple of occasions where that happened at WLS... Did you go back to knotts? Try them again a few days later?

Edited by AlexB

^The last time I went to Knott's it was a friday in late August 2007 and it was deserted, even with that experience I still wouldn't go back unless they added something special with the exception of Knott's Scary Farm which is supposed to be a very good Halloween event. I could imagine Knott's being terrible on a busy day, and they don't have q-bots to boot. Waiting in a slow moving, long line for a great coaster is bad enough let alone for the coasters at Knotts.

Well if it wasn't for the fact that the rest of the group (including the group leaders which are highly respected) seemed to agree that the days operations were on par with any of their previous visits, I would think the same. To put it in perspective, Perilous Plunge was running with just 1 boat, had a line which exceeded the entry to the queue, and to top it off they were sending the boat that they hadwith some empty seats (and it wasn't like these empty seats were out of order or anything). Then there was a couple of times that we were sitting on the brake run for Xcellerator for 5 mins. And no Alex, I will not be going back to Knott very good farm again this trip. Once was enough for this park.

^I think one of the constraints with a TPR tour is that they can't go to all the parks at an optimal time during the trip. Some park days will have to fall on a weekends, also I think they have to balance out the dates of the tour with the longer park hours - travelling by myself I've chosen to go late in the season but then the parks close a lot earlier, so no night rides. Most of the time ERT and fast passes can compensate for going on a bad day, I don't know if you got ERT at Knott's but I know they don't have fast passes. The flip side is if you go on a deserted Knott's gets boring real fast, nobody wins, we'll all be in the same spinal ward after riding Ghostrider.

Edited by downunder

Just on Ghostrider, the ride was down for 20 minutes whilst they cleaned up some "blood" on one of the train. Funny yet serious at the same time. Whilst I do agree that parks get busy, Knotts was just a terrible park overall. The themeing was all over the place, operations were slow and terrible, and the park felt dirty (Dreamworld 2006 dirty). Silver Bullet was a good ride though (it's just a shame it took forever to get on, and it's a shame we also sat on the brakes for what seemed like an eternity). The same goes for Xcellerator, Ghostrider (ghostrider wasn't bad, we were in the front though). On the flipside though to show I am not just a Dreamworld fanboy, SFMM was the complete opposite to Knotts, great operations, great rides (with the exception of Scream, that ride honestly sucked, especially in the front). Back on topic though, we do need a nice Hyper or Mini Hyper in Australia. Great rides.

An Intamin Megalite would be realistic to acquire and great addition to any park in Australia, imagine flying throught the trees out the back of Dreamworld with all that ejector airtime. T-bone, did Knott's give you any ERT? It's funny how things have flipped around, Knott's used to be really nice and SFMM used to excerable.

Edited by downunder