To Heavy for the rides?

princessaim

I can't believe I am evening asking this question but I am afraid to go to the parks and get turned away because of my weight... In less than a week we leave for QLD to go to all 5 parks. My fiance is taking me for my birthday as I have had a ruff year. I broke my leg in 2 places back in may and have put on a lot of weight. I am female, 163 cm tall and weigh 104 kilos right now. I am so terrified that I will get there and be turned away because I am too heavy. You all seem so knowledgeable about the parks and I was hoping maybe you could help me out with some advice. I have tried looking for weight restrictions on the site but cant find any? Has anyone been in my shoes? Are there some that are smaller than others? Please help, I really don't want to make a fool of myself.

I dont know anything about weight restrictions, but you can contact WVTP. (Movie World, Sea World and Wet n' Wild Water World) here: My Fun Contact Us Page. ^ You can ring up the parks or email them using the form on the page. You can contact Dreamworld and White Water World here: Dreamworld Contact Us Page. White Water World Contact Us Page. ^Again you can ring them up or contact them with the form. Hope that helps.

Edited by Movie_World

As long as you can easily get in and out of the rides and fit into the seat with the lapbar/overhead restraint locked into position, then I'd imagine that it is not a problem. I have seen some large people riding so I really don't think it would be too much of a problem. Then again, it's hard to judge because I don't know how big you are... and figures can only give me a rough estimate. Best thing to do is ring the park.

Your not going to have a problem with weight restrictions outside of Wet 'n' Wild (and perhaps White Water World) where there is a combined max of 180KGs on two person slides. Admittedly it seems seldom enforced, and myself and a bigger mate of mine (combined 210kgs) have never had a problem. You won't be refused on anything at the dry parks because of your weight. The thing you may have trouble with is the size of the restraints. Depending on how you carry the weight (and this is the hard bit because everyone is different) you may have difficulty closing the restraints on; Supermam, Scooby Doo, & Batwing at Movieworld, Giant Drop, Motocoaster and Claw at Dreamworld, and Jet Rescue at Seaworld. I'd be really surprised if you were refused for anything else. For some of the rides at Dreamworld there is a test seat out the front of the ride so you can see if you fit in relative modesty. If you're really don't want to be embarrassed because of your weight (which you shouldn't be worrying about, 105KGs absolutely nothing compared to what ride operators see, and who cares what a bunch of tourists you're never going to see again think anyway!) then avoid the rides I've mentioned, but if you decide to throw caution to the wind, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you make it onto everything (though Motocoaster at Dreamworld is VERY restrictive). Again though, it depends on how you carry the weight. The other thing I'd suggest is to make sure your leg has healed, because you don't want to aggravate it. If you're so much as wearing a bandage, you will be stopped before boarding pretty much every ride and asked questions about your leg, and left standing there as the staff must check injuries with their boss, which some people can find quite embarrassing. (If you are wearing a bandage or anything on your leg, at Seaworld and Movieworld first thing in the morning head straight for guest services and they will assess you and issue a wrist band which says what rides you can and cannot go on with your leg, avoiding any embarrassment at the ride. They however cannot pre assess you on your size) Remember though, if you are rejected (this goes for everyone!), if they say no, there is a good reason. If you do try, come back and post about it your experience, because it is a question that comes up quite allot! Hope this helps, have fun!

Edited by joz

Joz has it pretty much spot on there Aim. Those are the only rides that you should have any issue with - depending on which parks you do first, I would suggest MovieWorld, and make scooby your first stop (It gets busy during the day so first stop is a good idea anyway). If you make it on scooby, you will make it on pretty much anything. I wouldn't be concerned about being 105kg. My partner is about the same weight (albeit a little bit taller), but she tends to carry a bit of weight in the middle. She has no issues on any of the rides in any of the big 4. Scooby is unique because the lapbar has to sit "In the Lap", and I've seen some gals with a bit of cushioning sort of "lift it up" or take a breath, then lock in the bar and let it out again. Mick Doohan at dreamworld is also restrictive, but mainly across the legs if you carry a bit around there, and Jet Rescue the same, but not quite as bad. Those three are the big ones to watch, and with your height and weight, I can't see any of it being an issue - at the end of the day, enjoy yourself, and if theres something you can't go on, don't worry about it - But as Joz said, talk to Guest Services at the start of your day (Movie World attractions don't open for about 30-60 minutes after gates open anyhow) and let them be your guide. I think you will be surprised that there are much bigger riders out there enjoying themselves without a problem. And as an afterthought, if legs are more your issue than your middle, go for the back in scooby, you can stretch your legs under the seats in front a bit more (I have longer legs and can't quite get a lock-in in the front, without a little kick from the operator, but only because my thighs sit too high)

i am a bigger bloke, and i can honestly say i do weigh more than this women does. I was fine on every ride, superman's restraints were tight, but not an issue, with the whole strap has to be past that yellow line, scooby wasnt either, but the lap bars were down tight, but thats what you want them to be! Nothing else was a problem, and this is coming from a heavy weight like me mate!! Once again for the wetnwild rides, and the weight restrictions, me and my brother, were easily over, (probably thanks to me!!) and we never had an issue. Same with dreamworld, i had no problems there, Mick Doohans took a while, cause my thighs are not small cause of all the years of soccer i have played and cause of my weight. Other than that, dreamworld rides are fine. Hope this helps champ!

• 4 years later...

I know this was posted a few years back, but I found it helpful before I went to do the theme parks last week and thought someone else might need to read it one day.

I am 166cm tall, weigh 105kg (but lost 4kg last week just from running around like a lunatic when I was up there!) and wear size 16-18 pants and size 14 shirts. I didn't get questioned by any of the staff and I was able to go on all rides without a fuss. The Claw and the Motorcoaster at Dreamworld were the only rides I felt slightly uncomfortable on (motorcoaster only because I have big calves, but still I got on without a fuss), but apart from that, all was fine. Giant Drop's seats are exactly the same as The Claw, so if you can get on one, you can get on the other. In saying that I felt slightly uncomfortable, there were much, much bigger people than me getting on and were perfectly fine. I hold most of my weight in my bum and thighs, and was very worried about the Scooby Doo and Superman rides at Movieworld after reading reviews, but I didn't have a problem with either of them. Rides at Wet'N'Wild, Seaworld and Whitewater world were not an issue. I was able to go on every ride without any problems and had the time of my life!

I weigh approximately 130kg, 158cm and most of it is in my stomach and chest area. Have had a little trouble on Scooby, but someone pushing the harness in a little soon fixed that, similar with Superman. I have only ever not been able to ride one ride and that was Sea Viper at SW, however that was more an issue with my shoulders not fitting within the harness than my stomach.