Parc d'Asterix - Paris, France

Wazza1

Howdy, This week I took myself off to this little known park in Paris, which is infact the 2nd largest park in France behind Euro Disney, (so I have been told anyway) If you are a fan of Asterix and all of his friends and their adventures, then this is the place for you. Also if you feel like riding a massive wooden roller-coaster, hey this is you place also. I was more a fan of the latter, so after a 20min trip on the train from Paris to the airport. Then a 10 min trip on a bus, I arrived right on opening time at 10am. After studying on the internet the night before, and reading about people whinging about the queue on the big wooden roller coaster (called "Tonnerre de Zeus" or in english Thunder of Zeus) I went straight there and there was already a good solid queue. This ride was freaking awesome. I had not been on a Wooden coaster since the ol Bush Beast at Wonderland, but my god this thing was soo good. It snaked its way through and around the trees in the back of the park, away from everything else so it was impossible to get any decent photos of it. It was bumpy and rough and had enough twists turns and airtime in the 2 min trip to satisfy me, and leave me wanting more. Here are some picspost-170-1251566493_thumb.jpgpost-170-1251566541_thumb.jpgpost-987-1146804286_thumb.jpg After that I couldn't resist wanting to head straight around and go on this very nice looking looping coaster called 'Goudurix' post-170-1251566767_thumb.jpg This ride was also pretty awesome it had 5 inversions and plenty of tight twists and corkscrews to keep anyone happy. There was quite a short queue here so I went on a couple of times.post-170-1251566865_thumb.jpgpost-170-1251567052_thumb.jpg They also had a toboggan style roller coaster, the likes of which I have never ridden before and was keen to try. Called 'Trace du Horra' it sort of wound its way through the trees, with you sitting in these little individual cars that can seat 2 people one in front of the other, and like a toboggan, it just makes its own way down the track without rails or anything like a normal rollercoaster. For me it was a rather strange experience and it rides its way up the walls of the long sweeping turns, (and back down) as it gracefully twists and turns its way back to the station.post-170-1251567293_thumb.jpg post-170-1251567328_thumb.jpgpost-170-1251567358_thumb.jpg Here is a selection of photos of other rides in the Park. post-170-1251567482_thumb.jpgpost-170-1251567514_thumb.jpgpost-170-1251567542_thumb.jpgpost-170-1251567567_thumb.jpg Sorry I just realised I am in a hurry now, I will finish off my thoughts on the Park shortly.

post-170-1251566577_thumb.jpg

Great photos mate! It definitely looks like quite a nicely themed park, and by the sounds of it, fairly accessible. If I ever found myself in Paris I probably would make an effort to head out...Tonnere de Zeus is a ride I have heard many rave reviews about, so its good to hear it lives up to the hype, I'm interested in seeking out more Boblsed coasters too since Avalanche at Blackpool turned out to be much better than I expected. Out of interest, how bad is Goudurix? Thats one ride you tend to hear quite a bit of negativity about (I think it has been voted worst coaster in the world a few times), but I guess if you could ride it twice in a row its not that bad.

it had 5 inversions
7 :) Oh, and judging by the photo of the rapids, you cant give them crap about capacity... If you are interested, I can establish database entries for you, so you could upload them to the site where more people will see them and they will be seen from the front page. Edited by Gazza

Great photos mate! It definitely looks like quite a nicely themed park, and by the sounds of it, fairly accessible. If I ever found myself in Paris I probably would make an effort to head out...Tonnere de Zeus is a ride I have heard many rave reviews about, so its good to hear it lives up to the hype, I'm interested in seeking out more Boblsed coasters too since Avalanche at Blackpool turned out to be much better than I expected. Out of interest, how bad is Goudurix? Thats one ride you tend to hear quite a bit of negativity about (I think it has been voted worst coaster in the world a few times), but I guess if you could ride it twice in a row its not that bad. 7 :)
My mistake
Oh, and judging by the photo of the rapids, you cant give them crap about capacity...
Yeah 9 seats!
If you are interested, I can establish database entries for you, so you could upload them to the site where more people will see them and they will be seen from the front page.
Tonnere de Zeus, is AWESOME, there are simply not enough superlatives in the english (or the french) language to describe just how good this ride is, its a shame the queue was so long, (and the girlfriend came along) as I could probably ride it all day, it was everything you could ever possibly want from a wooden coaster. Goudurix, a bit rough but I enjoyed it, it has a lot of very tight turns, and does not really flow from one element to the next very well. My Mrs said she almost blacked out going into one of the loops, its not the greatest coaster I have ever been on, but its not the worst either (*cough* The Thunderbolt) . But if you go there you have to go on it. The Bobsled was surprisingly entertaining and was easily my woman's favourite attraction (we ended up going on it 3 times) and I really enjoyed it. It was flowing and smooth (I guess a ride like this has to be, and was quite the contrast to Goudurix) but it really is a totally different experience. Yeah if you wanna establish database entries that would be cool. I took about 30 photos all up of the park, (I didn't include all of them in my post) Bussy: France is going very nicely indeed, (I actually just got back from a 2nd visit to Eurodisney today. I was with an ex Wonderland cast member) The food here is awesome. (although at Eurodisney it sucks) Rival:, when you get to Paris, head out to Eurodisney during the week, (for gods sake DO NOT go on a weekend), and head out to Parc Asterix on a Sat or Sun (as its not open midweek, except during school holidays) I know you posted a thread a little while back about Eurodisney, I put some thoughts about it in there. I am tossing up whether to get an annual pass to either Euro Disney or Parc Asterix as I am going to be here for a little while. I can't really decide just yet. Edited by Wazza1

I've got the major coasters and water rides in for the time being...Add away :)http://www.parkz.com.au/parks/FR/Plailly/Parc_Asterix/ I must ask though, did you come across the statue of Zeus wearing knickers?
I did actually (it was out the front of the big wooden roller coaster), My girlfriend actually pointed it out. They were quite colourful, I wish I had taken a photo. (although that sounds a bit suss)