Movie World Halloween Fright Nights

S.W24

This year major changes have been made to Movie Worlds Halloween night's. Major changes is it's no longer classified as a "family fun night" it's now "Fright Night's" Also advised WARNING: The event contains intense experiences and is not recommended for children under the age of 14. We strongly recommend that all children be accompanied by an adult who shall be solely responsible for their care and conduct whilst on these premises. No refunds are payable Next major change Fright nights are on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, 23rd, 24th, 30th and 31st of October 2009 from 6:00pm – 11:00pm. Longer hours this year. There are going to be 2 intense haunt mazes this year including the laser tag which featured last year. All rides and attractions will be open till 11 except Superman escape, Batwing and Wild West Falls which will close at 9pm There are discounted tickets on sale NOW through myfun but are only valid on the nights of the 3, 10, 17 October. Normal ticket prices are $39.95 per person. Tickets are on sale NOW at myfun.com.au or call 133FUN Night Promotional details: Enter through Hells Gate into a world of horror and mayhem at Movie World this Halloween. Take on the freaks in the Fun House and run the gauntlet in the Torture Chamber. If that seems too tame, try to outlive the zombies in the Kill Zone. There’s no crazier place to be… we’re deadly serious. More Exciting details to come...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason for the closer of the 3 attractions early is because of residential noice also on the basis that the park is running more nights this year. So it has been soley out of consideration also doesn't cause any long run or future hasles. Also quick side not based on your comment ash the 2nd maze last year was based for kids. This year Halloween fright nights is a adult/teenage aimed event with a much higher level of intensity not only in the mazes but in park atmosphere. Last year themeing was taken to a greater extent. This year we shall all be in for a huge suprise as planning for this has been huge from what I have been told.

Thank god this came along, I've been wanting to say something positive about WVTPs all year, and finally something comes along to get excited about. I've not had much interest in the 'family fun nights' but something a little more adult orientated has definitely got me paying attention. Just a couple of things I'd like to mention (I have no inside knowledge of this so just a few random thoughts): 1. Alcohol is a must. Sorry non boozers, but alcohol is a key ingredient for a Halloween event. As much as I'm not a fan of Universal, this is something they understand. To make a Halloween event targeted towards adults a success, Alcohol needs to be readily available. If Dirty Harry is the only grog shop in the park (or if its closed) then not only have will they have missed a great revenue opportunity, but many may find it not as fun as it could be. 2. The rides closing at 9pm: I hope that means the queue is cut off at 9pm and everyone in queue gets to ride regardless of what time that takes things to (surly an hour should be plenty though). What I don't get though is why Lethal Weapon isn't on that list? Isn't it closer to the residents then Superman? (not nitpicking, but I honestly would love to know). On the whole though, love the extra hours. 3. No refunds payable. Sure you say that, but for goodness sake if someone does bring their kids by mistake for the love of god give them their money back or a ticket to return to any park (the kids may not be keen on going back to MW) during the day. I'm excited about this, and so long as nothing stupid comes up to ruin it, I will go along to check it out. I've been wishing these events were more adult focused since they started, so I'm stoaked to see it heading in that direction. Basically, I'm happy to see them expand their offerings, and hopefully an adult event is the best way to do Halloween at a theme park, because its the sort of event I'd like to go to year after year. This gets two (increasingly rare) thumbs up from me!

If Dirty Harry is the only grog shop in the park (or if its closed) then not only have will they have missed a great revenue opportunity
Harrys isn't the only bar, they do have the outdoor one at Ricks Cafe...That whole middle eastern themed courtyard area could totally have some music and lights added for the nights, so its a sort of special themed bar that people could mill around in. Edited by Gazza

Yeah with the extra nights I'm hoping we can get away one night to go, that's motivation right there to get other people trained in my job :) The grog thing is a biggy, at Universal you can pretty much by some form of booze every few hundred meters around the park. The other one is atmosphere, get the damn lights off in the park, smoke the crap out of the place and have it scary. WPH&S needs to take a step back for these events to work. I have been waiting for the good american stuff to start making its way into the parks and looks like this could be the start!

Alcohol and heavy machinery? I'm all for it guys, but how many people does WVTP employ who hold RSA? And how hard is it going to be to get them all to work the halloween nights? Because all you need is one dumb freak to get sloshed off his nana with a few too many, and somehow make his way into a restricted area after dark and lose his head to a coaster train And Dj, i'm surprised that you of all people would say that WPH&S needs to step back... I would have expected you to be for it "so long as it's safe". Having said that it actually sounds like something I would want to go to this year, so we will see how it ends up.

WVTP has actually been training a lot of staff with RSA's this year so there would definitely be enough people to work the nights. I agree though that if people forget they're in a public place and can only drink a certain amount, rather than their own backyard where they can drink all they want, then incidents are much more likely to occur. If the bar is open and people want to have a few drinks then that's fine but the RSA rules would be enforced just as usual. And I am suprised with the suggestion that OH&S would step back. I think the safety of staff and guests would be paramount and would be the main reason alcohol would be restricted (if it is restricted)

WPH&S is important, but WVTPs have some of the strictest policies in the world, WPH&S could take quite a few steps back and things would still be safe. Alex, they could set up a bar every 20 meters in the park and still have enough RSAs to keep it well staffed. Since the staff are all trained in responsible service of alcohol, I don't expect over supply to be a major problem. I think the only extra measure they need with the grog sales is to have plenty of security around the park, with maybe one out the front of the queue to every ride to assist the ride ops in rejecting anyone who does happen to drink in excess, since security is better trained to deal with drunks. But as Dj said, dark + scary + booze = fun night out!

Maybe if there is a lack of alcohol outlets, they can sell those beer dispensing hats. I was looking at the lineup for HHN at Universal and they have so many mazes and scare zones, hopefully this will be start of WBMW developing Halloween into something incredible like Universal. One of those Halloween things like at Universal would make an interesting set up for a new Friday the 13th - the real Jason stalking HHN at Universal, slaughtering drunk, immoral young people.

I'd absolutely agree with Dj on this one, The whole point of a night event is that it is dark outside, but unfortunately for WPH&S reasons they have to light the place up, which defeats the purpose. The key is to find a balance between A ) Making sure people can see where they are going B ) Making sure the place is dark and creepy. Unfortunately, there tends to be too much paranoia around point A, which detracts from point B. Nobody is saying for WPH&S to take a step back in terms of security, rides running safely or anything like that, just in terms of how dark the park is.

Yeah, it's good to see more nights this year and the scare factor being amped up, bravo! I echo the fact the park needs to be darker and there be an increased use of select lighting/smoke. RE: The alcohol: I'm not a big drinker so this isn't a dealbreaker for me one way or another. I just don't see it becoming widely available throughout the park given it's not an adults-only event. One thing I would like to see is a dramatic increase in wandering characters appropriate to that particular area of the park. Main Street could be classical monsters from the movies, Wild West could have ghostly gunslingers, perhaps a few victims of hanging... nice big area for them to wander around. And Looney Tunes could have Bugs etc in their Halloween outfits when they're not in shows. Not sure about the Batman/Superman area, maybe have some of those villains running rampant like Scarecrow.

ok, birthday suits are now perfectly acceptible costumes now its marketed at an older audience. They did want to amp up the level of excitement didnt they? :lol: Just an idea (that doesnt mean a whole lot now), how about having the last 2 nights the adults/teens orientated event, alcohol etc not so much of a problem then. Could give the kids a chance to get in on the fun earlier in the month, then let the grown ups come out to play. Im not sure what im going to go as this year. Any ideas? pirate last year which went down really well with the japanese tourists in the park but short of maiming someone in main street, its been done. :) Everyone says to go as hagrid, but come on, just how freaking exciting is a 6ft 6 man with a pink umbrella and a beard :lol:

Edited by Mad Hatter

Geeze guys you don't need to take things so literal and then read into them what wasn't there AND THEN expand upon that. I didn't say do things unsafe, Joz is right, the company is too cautious at the expense of product quality. You can do things perfectly safe and be less full on, it just takes more money. For example, you can have the place down to 6 feet of visibility (it was like this at Haunt in places) but you have to have more staff to supervise things. You also have to stick you your target audience. If you make this an event for over 16 year olds then you don't need to be as child proof. You really need to attend either Knotts or Universals halloween (or even better, both) to understand the concept. It's not unsafe, but it IS scary.

Edited by joz

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. The Current mazes for the night will be: -Fun House Freaks Maze -The Torture Chamber -Dragon Alley -The Zombie Kill Zone There is also going to now be a new show called Restricted Freestyle Moto X shows on during the nights as a added addition. All in all i think the addition of all these new things plus the extra hours is now making this value for money. I shall keep you all informed on ticket sales and any extra info when i can release it.