Movie World Halloween Fright Nights

S.W24

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, also... can anyone please tell me how they can justify charging people $11.95 for a plain hot dog and a bottle of water?!
No doubt the prices are too high, but its not a plain hot dog, since it has cheese and onion. Superman was definitely running 2 trains, I think though the issue is that at the end of the day it still has THC of 820, (And in reality is probably closer to 600), which as people probably know is decent for day to day operations, but at an event like Halloween you have a situation where virtually all the attendance would be people above the height limit and wanting to ride, and unfortunately having to do this in the space of 3 hours.

It sounds like there is still plenty of room for implovment, and they should be motivated by the numbers they can get - I was reading that Knott's haunt gets 15% of their annual attendance from their haunt. I was going to go to this but I decided to go to the US instead and I thoroughly enjoyed Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights and Knott's Scary Farm. MW should check out those events for ideas (within their smaller budget of course) as they are a so much fun and very scary.

Went to fright night saturday night! Had a pretty awesome time. Rode everything bar Superman and Batwing. Superman line closed really really early. Funhouse maze was my favorite and Ian followed the girl I was with while patting his dead bunny. Was funny as! The show in main street wasn't as good as what I hoped - but apart from that (and sups closing realy early) i ahd an awesome time. MW looked like it was on fire from the motorway, the amount of smoke just rising outta the place. I've attached a few pics for those that are interested! Nate

post-1981-1255921624_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1255921629_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1255921633_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1255921636_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1255921640_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1255921643_thumb.jpg

post-1981-1255921648_thumb.jpg

I went the other week. I got in for $10 as a myfun member. The low cost is probably the only thing that saved it for me. THE GOOD - the themeing really was awesome... the lights, lasers, smoke everywhere, costumes, atmosphere etc... it really was haunting cool... very good theming... well done THE BAD - WAY too many people (crap it was crowded) - ALL big rides including Lethal shut at 9pm because of noise... they only advertised Superman and Batwing as closing at 9pm but all big rides did, which is basically all rides bar 2 - even with all the big rides open before 9pm there were way too many people so come 9pm it just went crazy - all I got through was the Batman mansion, Scooby Doo (45 minutes) and Wild West Falls, oh and the stunt show which wasn't the stunt show, rather just the dirt bike show from the Ekka with some really lame horror kidnapping story line - the ending live show at 10:45pm, sorry, was lame as... SUPER lame - post 9pm they had staff walking down all lines advising that the wait time was around 60-90 minutes - driving there the freeway exit off the M1 south bound was CHOCKERS... really bad light sequences Everyone was lining up for Shrek not realising that Shrek wasn't showing (including me) rather some really LAME 10 minute horror film. Heaps of people walked out, namely those with young ones. WBMW really needs some large capacity awesome rides and CAP these events! Having paid $10 I give it a 3/10 as an over all experience. 9/10 for theming. 1/10 if I paid full price!

Edited by brissy phil

Yep i'd rather pay $40 or more and know that i won't have to line up for more than 15 mins per ride, if that were at all possible. MW do need a new, higher capacity ride that appeals to a wide range of people. Eg something similar to Disney's Crush's Coaster! With $10 tickets i wouldn't go simply because of the waiting times. Maybe i'll go this weekend or next when tickets are $40.

MW do need a new, higher capacity ride that appeals to a wide range of people. Eg something similar to Disney's Crush's Coaster!
From what I have read this coaster is not at all a high capacity ride and clearly a high capacity attraction is what MW needs, so this probably would not be a good choice. Edited by cadboy

With $10 tickets i wouldn't go simply because of the waiting times. Maybe i'll go this weekend or next when tickets are $40.
Just a warning, even though this weekend is "full price" they were selling return passes for this weekend for $9.95 each. I will say they need to limit tickets to a lower level, the queue for Superman was the worst I have seen it. It was a good night but would have been better if there were less people and more to do after 9pm. If Dreamworld can do 10pm for Screamworld why can't MW do 10pm. I know the residents are a little closer but it isn't like it is an all summer thing. I am returning this Saturday night mainly for a photo trip having done most things on the 17th.

MW already have pretty good capacity rides, having the best on the coast... but when you have max crowds and a limited time for rides of course lines are going to be massive and they are going to strugle no matter how good they are. Look at Disneyland they have a massive lines for their rides and yet they have some of the best capacties for themeparks. The problem is its popular and its gets packed out and rides then struggle to keep up with guest demand. It just something you have to expect, you don't go there on a Maxed out night and expect to have walk on's especially when rides have to close early becuase of restrictions put on them by the council to shut residents up. Which annoys me becuase the park was there before the homes, people knew perfectly well what the noise was going to be moving behind a theme park. It like the motorbike track behind arundel, it was there before the homes, people knew there was going to be noise, yet they complained and had it shut down, now theres nowhere for the kids to practice. But back on subject this is company and at the end of the day if they can get maxed crowds then they will, because it would be stupid not to, Disney doen't shut it doors becuase lines have become long they shut once reaching capacity. Its like Woolworths shutting because all registors are going and theres massive waits at each, its sales they can't afford to miss out. So when the park is packed expect lines, if you don't like them go in Winter when it is a walk on practically. But I couldn't agree more that it wouldn't be to bad to get another large capacity ride in, similiar to the ones now, and that they really should be trying to get the council to raise their closing ride time lifted becuase it is only for just a month surely residents can deal with something like 8nights of the year... but of course they would complain <_<

I'm almost playing the devils advocate here, but I think the residents may well have been there before the park, but only just. If you go on street view on the streets around the park the housing stock is clearly late 80s/early 90s. That said, they should be able to negotiate some sort of agreement to have at least a few nights per year with later trading than is currently allowed.

Edited by Gazza

I have an issue that the WBMW website was not fully disclosing all the rides that would be closed and close at 9pm. All they mentioned was Superman and Batwing but when you get there you find that at 9pm Superman, Batwing, Lethal, and Wild West Falls close, Shrek isn't showing at all and the replacement horror movie DIDN'T UTILISE THE SPECIAL EFFECTS CINEMA / CHAIRS AT ALL (perfect opportunity for spiders and snakes running over you, blood splattering etc), the kiddies boat ride didn't open at all and the Stunt Driver show didn't operate at all either. That's a bit like ordering a steak sandwich and chips and getting it all except for the steak and chips! Some high capacity rides that spring to mind are Indiana Jones (west coast Disney Land) and Spiderman (Islands of Adventure) where capacity is upwards of 50 per minute. Or the Hulk Coaster (Islands of Adventure) which has 3 trains running at once, 4 seats wide... 80 people per train, 240 on track at one time.. beats Superman's and Lethal's 20 odd per 5 minute cycle. Yes Movie World is the best of the coast but compared to US standards it's like going to a school fete! Yes I am in a bit of a bitter mood tonight!

Are you sure about them not disclosing? This is what it says on the website.

Halloween Fright Nights will be held at Warner Bros. Movie World on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, 23rd, 24th, 30th and 31st of October 2009 from 6:00pm - 11:00pm. SUPERMAN ESCAPE, BATWING Spaceshot, Lethal Weapon -The Ride and Wild West Falls will operate from 6:00pm - 9:00pm. All other attractions including the Fun House Freaks Maze, the Torture Chamber, Dragon Alley and the Zombie Kill Zone will operate until 11:00pm plus restricted Freestyle Moto X shows.
Which is all the rides that close at 9pm.
4 seats wide... 80 people per train
If the train held 80 people it would be 20 cars long. But it's only 8 cars, so 32 per train: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/US/Orlando/I...ero_G_Roll.html I think the issue though is that for day to day operation, 3 train operation and those sorts of capacities are simply not needed. Disneyland needs high capacity stuff like Indiana Jones that because they get 14,000,000 guests per year, which is over 10 times what MW gets. But I mean, with Superman for instance, everyone knows it's perhaps the fastest moving thrill ride queue on the coast, and possible to ride as much as you want, even on busy summer days (When they decide to run both trains that is), so the choices they have made are adequate. But it probably isn't worth the extra cost in construction and ongoing maintenance to have 3rd trains etc that only get used on 6 or so nights of the year. If they could get permission to run everything till 11pm, then that would be the simplest solution, and would spread ride crowds across the whole night. The other thing to do is to have more mazes.
Shrek isn't showing at all and the replacement horror movie DIDN'T UTILISE THE SPECIAL EFFECTS CINEMA / CHAIRS AT ALL (perfect opportunity for spiders and snakes running over you, blood splattering etc)
That's actually a really good idea. I hope for next year (Or next week if they are ambitious) they could at least figure out a way of running the effects in manual mode (So someone up in the projection room could set off effects at will) Edited by Gazza

Are you sure about them not disclosing? This is what it says on the website. Which is all the rides that close at 9pm. If the train held 80 people it would be 20 cars long. But it's only 8 cars, so 32 per train: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/US/Orlando/I...ero_G_Roll.html I think the issue though is that for day to day operation, 3 train operation and those sorts of capacities are simply not needed. Disneyland needs high capacity stuff like Indiana Jones that because they get 14,000,000 guests per year, which is over 10 times what MW gets. But I mean, with Superman for instance, everyone knows it's perhaps the fastest moving thrill ride queue on the coast, and possible to ride as much as you want, even on busy summer days, so the choices they have made are adequate. But it probably isn't worth the extra cost in construction and ongoing maintenance to have 3rd trains etc that only get used on 6 or so nights of the year. If they could get permission to run everything till 11pm, then that would be the simplest solution, and would spread ride crowds across the whole night. The other thing to do is to have more mazes. That's actually a really good idea. I hope for next year (Or next week if they are ambitious) they could at least figure out a way of running the effects in manual mode (So someone up in the projection room could set off effects at will)
Yeah I can't prove it but the website has been updated since 3 weeks back is my opinion. I'd say they have already had complaints or someone noticed the omissions. And yeah I stuffed up with the Hulk ride rows... thought it was normal coaster row length (or more)... maths stuff up. But yeah, you get my point. Even Dueling Dragons is 4 seats across and there is two of them. I guess I have never appreciated the full demand of US theme parks because when I have been to them (9 parks in total) it's been in the US winter, non-holidays and during some average weather so I have enjoyed relatively quick lines on everything.

Went to fright night saturday night! Had a pretty awesome time. Funhouse maze was my favorite and Ian followed the girl I was with, while patting his dead bunny. Was funny as! Nate
Thanks for you feedback I try to make my character the scariest in there so this feedback is great.

^ The Funhouse was probably the highlight of my night on Saturday too. Dragon Alley was just a bit boring for me...Perhaps I missed some actors in there but I only remember one. Bedlam Manor was well set up and I liked the skeleton guy without his legs but other than that I also wasn't that scary. The Funhouse is a definite keeper though. There was a headless clown in their and when all of the kids were pointing at her she just popped up her head and started screaming at them. Loved it. The other highlight was seeing Fester chasing kids up main street at least three times throughout the night :)

tonight was awesome. well apart from the brief storm which closed the rides for about 30min, then scooby breaking down around 10, but rides aside, here is my brief review...

Dragon Alley: Eh... there was 2 people dressed up outside to let people in, then a guy in a park uniform telling everyone to hold the shoulders of the person in front then walk through single file. That was it. you then cant see sh!t in front of you and just keep walking til you exit. I do like the corpse bags hanging in the maze though. I didnt like getting whacked in the nads by the 'snakes' Overall that maze rates 5/10. Bedlam Manor: To be honest, i cant actually remember much about this one. But i remember it not being scary and it was pretty short. Rating: 6/10 Fun House: This was my favourite by far. Although i managed to find all the actors before they jumped out, unfortunately i cant say the same for my mate who shat himself a couple of times in funhouse. We also found a small giggly clown we decided to name bubbles. She would scare people then run off giggling about it. I would also like to say excellent work to Ian and his bunny, although you would think by now he would realise it was dead

:P We ended up doing funhouse about 6 or so times. Also just aquick question about funhouse.... there was one (what appeared to be anamatronic) monster sitting in a corner and it wasnt moving at all, then about the 4th time we went in, it was gone. Was it actually a person? or a spare costume just sitting there? Also, the person that was inside the inflated wall...? Wouldnt that have been hard to breathe there??? Funhouse rating: 9/10 for the mass amount of actors and fun atmosphere

superman queue was out of the building again but they were running 2 trains. Lethal weapon was a walk-on with not even 1 person having to wait in line. A couple of things I think could have been improved though... They need more actors up around WWF area. There was fester running up and down the street chasing people and 3 vampires on main street. Not sure if there was anything around batman. Shrek was showing a few times throughout the night as well as the horror movies (didnt see any of them as we were happy to just wander through mazes and look around). The fog machines were slightly overdone on main street. Well, it would have been alright if they didnt make them fire at the same time when they were just opposite each other on the street, it was actually pretty dangerous to walk through as you could only see about half an arms length in front of yourself. Overall the night was excellent and we are going back on friday, but dressing up this time. just adding a couple of pics from main street..... 2009-10-24175409.jpg2009-10-24194245.jpg and a ~5sec video of the laser on main street

Edited by reanimated35

it was actually pretty dangerous to walk through as you could only see about half an arms length in front of yourself
Reminds me of what DjRappa was saying about smoking the place out :D . I think if it is making you feel uneasy about not being able to see far in front then they are doing their job perfectly in terms of creating atmosphere. It would only be dangerous if you were doing something stupid like running, plus its not as if mazes have a lot of visibility either.
And Gazza, when they asked me if I'd like cheese and onion, I said no. So it was just a plain hot dog. cool.gif
Whose fault is that? If I went to Sizzler and paid for the Salad Bar, and I chose not to take full advantage of the food on offer, is it my fault or Sizzlers?