Dreamworld vs Movie World (Sep 2009)

modtang

I've been planning a day at Dreamworld at the end of September but after reading a lot of the posts on this forum it seems the place isn't what it used to be. I'm wondering if my money would be better spent at Movie World. I've been to both parks many years ago but the rides have changed a lot since I was there and I am looking for some hardcore fun. I'm just not sure which parks currently offers me the most thrills. I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some ideas about where I'd be better off spending my money. It's two adults going so no worries about kids rides or height restrictions. I just want to have a great day and not walk away feeling disappointed. TIA

The simple answer is that all rants about park quality, prices of food, origin of bottled water and chemical composition of donuts aside, nothing at Movie World goes higher or faster than the rides at Dreamworld. If all you're after is big thrill rides, Dreamworld has more big ticket rides. That said, if all you are after is thrills, if you pick your day right, you can easily get around all of the big rides at both parks in one day. rich

It depends on the type of thrill you are after too....Dreamworld has more thrilling 'flat' rides (Otherwise known as 'spin and spews'), But the roller coasters at Movie World are more thrilling than the ones at Dreamworld. When was the last time you were at either park?

Edited by Gazza

Movie World, hands-down. 1. Great rollercoasters. Superman Escape, fast, smooth and nice airtime if your restraints aren't crunched down too tight (tip: stick your gut out a bit until they've been past). Pre-launch sequence hard to beat. Scooby great coaster/ dark ride combo. Roadrunner... fun family coaster. Lethal Weapon...quite intense and interesting layout. Not as painful as it's made out to be.Cyclone & Reptar just don't have the impact. 2. Immersive atmosphere 3. Better flume by far. 4. Shrek 4D: a Universal attraction that is great every time. 5. Hollywood Stunt Driver: Better than the Nick shows at DW of course if you're not a kid! 6. Easy to get everything done without need for a queue-skipping device. You will definitely be able to get a few rerides in on your favourites.

Personally I prefer Movie World, I personally think it has far more quality than DW though DW has the quantity. Worth noting at Movie World is Superman, Scooby Doo, Wild West Falls, Batwing, Shrek, Batman simulator, and Lethal Weapon. While Dreamworld has Giant Drop, Tower of Terror, The Claw, Cyclone and Motocoaster. I'd just get on each of their websites check out what attractions they have to offer and work what you prefer.

Thanks for your thoughts so far. We're going to go through both websites tomorrow to try to make a decision. It's a loooooong time since I was at either park (I think it was around 1991) so most of the rides are different now. I rode the Cyclone when it was in LPS as the Big Dipper and loved it. That's the kind of thrill we're after, so whichever park has the most of those sorts of rides will probably win. I was tending towards Dreamworld last night but am more inclined to want to check out Movie World now. Decisions, decisions....

Broader entertainment experience at Dreamworld? what drugs are you on?
Really, Movie World's got a handful of really good rides, an ordinary stunt show and the odd street performance. Dreamworld's got a handful of OK rides, plenty more ordinary ones, the odd street performer and then some pretty good animal attractions. I'd say that qualifies Dreamworld as the broader entertainment experience, even if the place has destroyed any semblance of atmosphere they once had, and is a fraction of what it used to and could be.

I've actually got time to go to Dreamworld when I come up in October but I doubt I will bother, haven't been since to DW 2003. I think I'll wait until they add something exceptional, and I'm not holding my breath for that. I think Giant Drop is world class even if the operations on it are abysmal. Tower of Terror seems slow and uninteresting after riding a lot of the new generation launch coasters like Dragster, Kingda Ka. Xcelerator and so on. Cyclone is a very meh ride in my opinion. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster and the The Claw, neither of which I have been on, I do not consider good enough to justify a visit. Movie World - Superman Escape, Wild West Falls, and Scooby Doo I consider to be highly impressive world class attractions. I think their Looney Tunes River Caves is an impressive kid's ride and their kiddie coaster is not bad. Lethal Weapon is a good ride but with some flaws. I stress just my opinion as someone who visits the Gold Coast and has to decide what to do with the time I have while visiting.

^ Yeah but how many rollercoasters is there to ride in Australia? You should do Mick Doohan just for the experience - it's quite fun but not Jet Rescue quality, though the first 30 seconds are quite fun. The theming is quite good too. And have you done the latter? The Claw is an awesome ride though I'd understand you not being in a rush to go on it having done so much overseas. It's not a very long cycle though :(... and I could have sworn it used to go longer. Agree with you about Scooby, Wild West Falls and Superman Escape. My German friend who I worked with at Wet'n'Wild was really going to miss Scooby in particular as we agreed it really was a one-of-a-kind ride. Certainly leaves a certain Six Flags Batman attraction for dead hey? ;) AVPX looks solid though. As soon as I get my next pay, I'm going to buy the DW and WWW combo pass and finally get to do that. I -would- recommend Whitewater World to the OP, haven't been in ages and looking forward to going back again.

Edited by Gold Coaster

^I haven't been to Sea World since 2003 either but I will definitely be going there to check out Shark Bay and Jet Rescue. I'm doing two nights of Halloween at MW. I don't think DW will get a look in. Probably to put it in perspective I have been to a hell of a lot of park overseas so it makes me much harder to please. I just checked, I've been to 89 parks that have at least one coaster in them according to coaster counter.

Edited by downunder

^Ah, the Volare at Rye Slayland, the memories, or lack of them from the beating to the head. You know I've been on 3 Volares now in 3 different countries and 2 continents. We did a dragon wagon at Zumas in Knoxville Tn, that was so small the lift wasn't higher than my waist - I'd settle for that at Luna Park Sydney. My vote is with Movie World, in case it wasn't obvious before.

You should do Mick Doohan just for the experience - it's quite fun but not Jet Rescue quality, though the first 30 seconds are quite fun. The theming is quite good too. And have you done the latter?
Hmmm, so he has a choice between two of the same type of ride. So he can go and ride a coaster that is 'fun' for only half the ride, is known to be uncomfortable, is known to suck, and is known to get long queues. Or he can go to ride a coaster that is fun for all the ride, is known to be unrestrictive, is known to be quite a good ride, and is guaranteed to have a wait of a couple of trains or less. $69 is a lot to pay for the 'experience' of the one at DW.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I ended up at Dreamworld and had a brilliant day. Rode The Claw (the harness was really tight on me and I couldn't breath too well and I thought I was going to pass out/puke), Cyclone (as good as I remembered from when it was at LPS) and Tower Of Terror (what a rush!!!!) as well as a couple of non-thrill rides. Also loved Tiger Island and wandered around through the other animal exhibits. Next time I'm up that way I will check out Movie World. Thanks for all your help guys. :)