Scenic Railway Counterweight

pinksmile

I can see where your coming from reanimated35 and understand why you might ask that question. The truth is i don't know why. I have always been fascinated by the counterweight since i was a kid and still am. The only thing i can think of for my interest in the subject, is that you could never actually see where the counterweight stopped down in the valley or see clearly where it stopped near the cliff face at the top. And as a small kid that was really intriuging. As for the photos, they were just uploaded for anyone else out there who had ever been curious themselves about the counterweight over the years.

I found a discussion on Roller-Coaster.com.au which has been deleted from Parkz and thought it may be of interest to some. I've checked with Richard and he says it is ok to post. The discussion has a bit of talk about how the counterweight works. http://bit.ly/ScenicRailwayDiscussion Edit: It seems the forums change the Roller-Coaster URL to Parkz. I've used a Bit.ly to get around this.

Edited by themeparkgc

If anyone is heading up to Scenic World in the near future, could they possibly take a photo or two of the counterweight in its position near the cliff face at the top as they ascend or descend in the Scenicsender ? Then upload it here i would be most grateful. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see the big deal. What are you searching for Rob that this thread comes up in? Who cares if it's bumped, it's not like this is the most active forum anyway, let the guy upload the photos if he wants. Geeze they are of more interest than half the crap people insist on writing here. Sorry that's just my rant, let moderators moderate, and members participate! **All posts of non relevance and just serving to have a go at a member who is actually contributing have been deleted

post-2114-1271846018_thumb.jpg This is a photo taken on 30/9/08 of the old metal wheel type of anchor that was in use when i first visited the anchor rock in the valley back in 1986. Not anymore though. I assume the cliff face anchor empolyed the same type of wheel mechanism, but there is no way to know for sure, as it is unaccessible. I personally would love to see it. I've been waiting for 32 years and counting to see it, but unfortunately it is never going to happen.

We are uncertain who designed the first counterweight for the Railway in the early 50's, but we belive it would be a consulting engineer named Bill Wingrove who was doing work for Harry at the time. He also did a lot of design work on the Skyway. The counterweight was definately built in house. I can tell you the top anchor was merely the rope wrapped around a big wooden telegraph pole that was dug into the rock. The bottom anchor was just the rope wrapped around the big rock still used today, with a wooden saddle about 30m up the hill (you can still see it today). The original winch was extended to accomodate the counterweight by bolting onto it a twin drum winch (a twin drum, was needed as this is when the Railway went to 2 ropes and a counterweight), the drum was obtained from Harry Stride, of Strides Boatyard in Balmain. The winch was off a mine sweeper. Bill Wingrove also designed the first aluminium Scenic Railway car that was installed during this upgrade.

Thanks for the insightful information jasicia, appreciate it. By the way, i mentioned in a post a few days ago that i have been waiting decades to see some photos of the current counterweight top anchor. Is there anyway you could arrange to get some photos taken of the top anchor for (me / us) the parkz members, i would be forever grateful ? If you cannot take them yourself, is there any chance you could get the maintenance crew to take the photos of the top anchor ? I really hope you can, that would be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer not to put pictures up of remote areas of Scenic World that have significance to ride safety, so I'm sorry, but I won't post photos of the top anchor. I will tell you the design is the same as the bottom anchor. This is done to minimise rope wear, and design out the need for slow moving rotating joints which previous verisons of the anchors had which didn't work very well.

I can understand that. A photo of off limit areas is really no different to asking for a photo of the superman launch bunker, which no one is permitted to take or post either. The mechanical side of me us curious though. Is the new design you're refering to the curved support for the rope to lay upon as the weight shifts and the direction to the rope is pulled changes? Did old designs use some sort of pulley or something to achieve this which wore on a small section of the rope over time?

The old design which was in use (for the bottom anchor point anyway) until fairly recently, was the one in the photograph that was uploaded on April 21 2010. The track rope was wrapped around the old iron wheel then clamped off onto the track rope itself. Then as the track rope raised and lowered as the counterweight moved back and forth, the anchor wheel which had the track rope wrapped around it, would rotate back and forth. However, the track rope anchor wheel rotation was limited to moving within the exact same range everytime the counterweight travelled up and down. This therefore would have (i assume) had same effect on the pin that went through the centre of the anchor wheel, causing wear within a limited range on it as well. So, i am guessing the main concern with wear was with the pin that went through the centre of the anchor wheel as it would have recieved the most stress (jasicia is that right)?? When i first saw it operate back in 1986, i sat beside the anchor wheel in the valley (which was chock full of grease) and recall the sound of it as the track rope first raised. I initially thought the whole anchor wheel connection was going to give way (i am not kidding), the stretching load bearing sounds etc it was giving off were that loud.

post-2114-1273832053_thumb.jpg This photo shows fairly clearly how the new anchor point works. The track rope runs over the top of the curved support and down to it's base where it is connected. However, the approximate 40 degree angle of the lower section of the support leading down to where the track rope is actually connected is designed that way for a reason. The 40 degree angle is the amount of rise the track cable makes at it's highest point when the counterweight is up near the cliff face. Therefore when the counterweight is up near the cliff face, the track rope is running parallel to the lower section of the support, thus not changing the track rope's connected angle. When the counterweight returns to the valley, the track rope angle returns to just below the horizontal, but the connected angle is still 40 degrees thanks to the curved support frame which allows this without any actual movement of the track rope's connection. So all weight bearing on the track rope is at 40 degrees to the horizontal only. Taken on 30/9/08.

post-2114-1274009347_thumb.jpg This photo shows just about the only thing preventing the old and new anchor point from anchoring no longer, and completely giving way. 2 (steel/iron) ?? bars that connect onto the back of the old anchor, then run directly down the back of the anchor rock. I dont know if they were in place there back in 1986, i sure hope they were though, cause as i was hinting at in my post before last, i was pretty worried about all the noise and sound coming from the old anchor point at the time. Taken on 30/9/08.

Gazza, check out post number 29 under the Scenic Railway Counterweight topic for the best possible answer i can offer. You are not the first to ask me that question and i can understand why. I mean you (and no doubt quite a few others) are probably thinking this thing is not even a ride, it is just part of the overall machinery that helps operate the Scenic Railway - RIGHT ?? Well, i agree with you. Just bear with me and my counterweight fascination, cause i love talking about it . Hope to hear some thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gazza locked this topic