Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Gold Coaster

Picked it up last night for $82 (JB price-match for the 360/PS3 versions) on PC... it's very very good so far. Thought I'd give some early impressions a few missions into the game and I'll do seperate posts later on when I've finished the single player Story mode with followups looking at the other single player content and Multiplayer. Multiplayer should be pretty sweet though judging from the quality in level design. Here are a few random grabs I did last night on my iPhone. F12 doesnt seem to be doing screenshots and I've only just reinstalled everything so need to get a screen-capture program I think. 15456_326824195205_613375205_9667964_6194529_n.jpg15456_326785680205_613375205_9667603_1068274_n.jpg15456_326808060205_613375205_9667825_3851876_n.jpg15456_326785055205_613375205_9667601_5539656_n.jpg15456_326818970205_613375205_9667897_67637_n.jpg The level of detail is very high so levels feel like you're playing GTA:Wherever you happen to be. Stunning graphical effects and sound. Hans Zimmer provides a brilliant score to back it all. With the exception of the opening training sequence, you don't feel like you're being shepherded down tight corridors as things are quite open. I liked the US military base in Afghanistan at the start of the game, was fun to walk around, look out to the swirling sands of the desert, watch soldiers on a perimeter jog, fix vehicles, shoot hoops, banter as they look at photos on their phones, etc. The spec-ops mode also looks very decent. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far. The controversial mission everyone has been talking about was very well done and doesn't let up. It finishes on a particularly effective note too. And it was really cool in one particular mission (literally and figuratively) with how you have to get to a base, what you do there and then the escape. And who you do it with :) Those sceptical as to whether or not you'll pick it up, do... hobbled multiplayer aside, the single player content is top notch. Early Impressions: SINGLE-PLAYER: 9.3/10 (having done the first few missions) Buy It If You Want To Be A Combination Of Jack Bauer & Shane Schofield! :D

Whilst it is a good game it all falls apart when you go into multiplayer. Matchmaking that looks for games within 100ms but throws you in with americans 11/10 times. I have found one or two games local (looking at peak AU playing times) with the rest being US or Europe/UK hosted. At least COD4 didn't lie about finding games local then just dumping you with a US host. Don't know if PC players experience the joy of this but the moment a US player enters they automatically get host of the game, can have 11/12 Australian players and it takes that one person to ruin it for everyone else. This happened in COD4 and was hoping that it was fixed in MW2, unfortunately not. I for one won't be buying this game for PC! Single player so far 7/10 Multi player 2/10 (being very generous)

• 2 weeks later...
Yet to come across any aimbots (must be limited to PC for now) but there are a lot of campers in multiplayer. Nothing like being one kill off heli/air strike only to "run into" someone camping.
Yea but camping is a big part of a strategic shooter (especially if defending bomb sites etc). and yes, bots seem to be pc only for now

• 1 month later...

I agree that multiplayer is not so good right now, but Special Ops alone makes up for it. You can do a spec ops mission alone and then do it with a friend and have two completely different experiences... I think it has huge playability and the Campaign is also awesome (but far too easy even on Veteran). But I still think Halo 3 is better for online multi-player.... :P

But I still think Halo 3 is better for online multi-player.... :P
i have to disagree with u on this one, i do like halo 3,dont get me wrong, and the multiplayer is fun, except what has always annoyed since its came out, is the leveling system of it. im talking social games when you receive 1 experience point for a winning game, when someone on the team might not do anything they still get experience, yet, the losing team might have 1 player who gets up to 25 kills for example and doesnt get any experience for it. Considering most online games for halo are around 10 minutes long, if ur playin with idiots, you cant do much about it, u quit u lose experience. its too heavily relied on teamwork, and when most of the time therse days, i cant find any1 on their with a headset! You compare this leveling system to COD, even if you are on a losing team, u can still try get kills and earn experience, its not a waste of time, like if u were losing 30-5 on team slayer on halo!

i have to disagree with u on this one, i do like halo 3,dont get me wrong, and the multiplayer is fun, except what has always annoyed since its came out, is the leveling system of it. im talking social games when you receive 1 experience point for a winning game, when someone on the team might not do anything they still get experience, yet, the losing team might have 1 player who gets up to 25 kills for example and doesnt get any experience for it. Considering most online games for halo are around 10 minutes long, if ur playin with idiots, you cant do much about it, u quit u lose experience. its too heavily relied on teamwork, and when most of the time therse days, i cant find any1 on their with a headset! You compare this leveling system to COD, even if you are on a losing team, u can still try get kills and earn experience, its not a waste of time, like if u were losing 30-5 on team slayer on halo!
Thats why you play Halo with friends who are actually good! Or just play FFA..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, never heard of Uncharted 2 until reading this so guessing it is a good game. Will agree that MW2 is over-rated. For me it is the MP that is the downfall of the game. Could have been great but they have been arrogant with it and ignored anyone that is not in the US and killed what could have been a great multiplayer game. Will say though it is great to piss people off because of the lag XD

• 4 weeks later...

MW2 should be fun. I'm looking forward to it, although after playing more CoDWaW, I'm liking the MP on that better. It's less close action spray. Semi-auto guns, medium/large maps are fun for me. I dunno, going back into CoD4 I just get nade fested all day every day in MP, watching kill cams, they just chuck their 3xnades and small areas.. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
Guest garrymodes

I had not played on the titles of modern warfare, before I played it and it hooked me! I love the plot and story in campaign mode, multiplayer is great too!